5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

pinging, sea foam, and dieseling

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 05:36 PM
93_five_oh
2nd Gear Member

Default pinging, sea foam, and dieseling

Alright... so i usually fill up with premium. I didn't the other day and now my car is pinging like none other.
I figured the compression might be up because of carbon build up and got some sea foam. After i sucked it up throught the brake booster line i shut the car off... except it didn't.
The ignition was off but it dieseled for a few seconds... and was knocking like crazy, really really loudly.

Anyways.. this concerned me a little bit and was wondering what i could do about it.
When i first got my car last year i filled up with regular and it didn't ping like this. And it's never dieseled before either.
Any ideas what could be going on? Spark plugs perhaps? Thanks!
Oh i haven't messed with anything.. timing and such. Just UD pulleys.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:14 PM
MikeVa
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: pinging, sea foam, and dieseling

What is your timing set at? You could pull it back a few degrees.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:44 PM
93_five_oh
2nd Gear Member

i'm not sure... i've never checked the timing. i don't have a timing light and no money to get one. lol
i thought that might have something to do with it though...
Old 10-19-2007, 07:18 PM
MikeVa
2nd Gear Member

Have you started it after the seafoam injection? You need to get that carbon out of there. See if an auto part store will let you borrow a timing light. Autozone here will let you use one for free in the parking lot. Could be a combination of carbon build-up and timing.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:32 PM
93_five_oh
2nd Gear Member

Good idea. I never thought about renting one/seeing if they would let me use it.
It does run a lot better after sea foaming it although i haven't had time to drive it yet.
I'll go by an autoparts store tomorrow.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:35 PM
MikeVa
2nd Gear Member

Just to let you know, it WILL smoke like a freight train when you drive ita few miles.Just want to let you know. It is normal.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:07 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

You need to runa KOEO/KOER test and make sure no codes for the egr are present and you can manually test the egr valve with a vaccum gauge and when you apply vaccum to the egr valve it should make the car run rough and or stall out...if it does then you know the egr passages aren't plugged up with carbon......the egr is there to quench the cylinder chamber temps to lower Nox and or possibility of detonation.....higher NOX levels are present when there are elevated cylinder chamber temps which inturn will contribute to pinging/spark detonation
Old 10-19-2007, 09:36 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 93_five_oh

Alright... so i usually fill up with premium. I didn't the other day and now my car is pinging like none other.
I figured the compression might be up because of carbon build up and got some sea foam. After i sucked it up throught the brake booster line i shut the car off... except it didn't.
The ignition was off but it dieseled for a few seconds... and was knocking like crazy, really really loudly.

Anyways.. this concerned me a little bit and was wondering what i could do about it.
When i first got my car last year i filled up with regular and it didn't ping like this. And it's never dieseled before either.
Any ideas what could be going on? Spark plugs perhaps? Thanks!
Oh i haven't messed with anything.. timing and such. Just UD pulleys.
give it a few days on premium,
Old 10-20-2007, 04:13 AM
92Rideagain
1st Gear Member

It could be bad gas. Drain the fuel tank andput inpremium gas and a good fuel additive and you should be good.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:02 PM
93_five_oh
2nd Gear Member

i thought about bad gas too...
I pulled codes a while back. It was something about the egr (fixed that) and the EVP voltage or something like that. I don't remember, i'd have to check.
I know it smokes.. i'm done. it runs much better now...
but.. this is another question. How do i figure out which cylinder isn't firing? i'm pretty sure one's not firing on the left bank.

Quick Reply: pinging, sea foam, and dieseling