5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Clicking noise from right rear...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 10:48 PM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

Default Clicking noise from right rear...

Hey everyone, I just swapped my 7.5 for an 8.8. Then new 8.8 got new bearings, a mini spool, and moser c-clip eliminators. When I took it out for a test run it started making this clicking/clunking like the right rear drum is wobbleing. I've tried the old drums, different lug nuts, and always check the torque before I left, and after. Does anyone have any idea of what could be doing this?? If you have any idea's let me know!!! THANX A LOT!!!!
Old 10-21-2007, 12:03 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Clicking noise from right rear...

possible brake spring stuck somewhere it shouldn't be?
Old 10-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

I've taken the brakes apart 3 times now. I can check again and see[:@]. Also when it clicks it doenst bind and slow the car down (like when it clicks you can only hear it you cant feel it) Thanx for your ideamattdel. It totally sounds like a break problem, but i cant figure it out??!?!?! If anyone else has any idea's let me know THANX A LOT!!
Old 10-21-2007, 11:49 AM
shawnk007
2nd Gear Member

Clicking noise could also be your u-joints....
Old 10-21-2007, 11:52 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

are the studs on the new axles the proper size and length? if there is a chance that the wheel doesn't sit properly against the drum, it would cause the drum to wobble and more than likely drag a bit on the shoes, release at random times, and produce a click.

you would probably be able to feel and see this driving down the road, tho.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:01 PM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

I haven't taken the car over 40km;s yet, so maybe I am not feeling it due to speed. The wheel while attached to the axle and drum wiggles. I did check the studs on the axles and they were 1/4" longer, so I put lugs on the back that have no cap (so like the stud can go all the way through, i suck at explaining ****) and tightend itdown with the torque wrench. BUT it does wiggle. Would lugs with a deeper counter sink help me?Thanx for the replies, if you can help me out or have any idea's please let me know!!!
Old 10-21-2007, 12:04 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

are the lugnuts you are using the crown style? or can the stud go right through the center

option a:

option b:

if you have the first one, i'd suggest taking a couple off and looking inside them, and at the end of the stud.
try to decipher if the nut is bottoming out before its actually tight on the wheel.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:17 PM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

I have the option A's on, but the caps are off so the stud should go through<<<EDIT: I'll go check that for sure. The rearend came with 3-4 of those option b's, so should i try those on that wheel? Thanx for the help man, I dont know what to do at all!!!
Old 10-21-2007, 12:21 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

yah, give it a try.
its a possibility, for sure.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

I only had 3 of them, and I think it still wiggles a little, but I think it may be a little better now. I guess I'll have to take it out and see what happens. I'll probably take the drum off and see if anythings out of wack. Thanx for your time and help mattdel. I'll see what happens and get back on here in a bit

Quick Reply: Clicking noise from right rear...