5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Starting problem when warm

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:14 AM
89GT351
1st Gear Member

Default Starting problem when warm

Hello, I am sure someone in this forum asked a similar question before I tried the search, but nothing came up. I have a problem starting my 89 351W mustang when it’s warm. In the morning when the engine is cold it fires right up after I drive around for at least 15 min. shut the engine down and go back to restart it would barely turn over like the battery is dead, it takes me few tries and it would finally start. I have a new starter salonoid andoptima battery and yes the alternator is charging. I had this problem for a while and I finally decided to do something about it. Does anybody know what causes it to do this? Would the starter motor cause this? Any help would be appreciated
Old 10-22-2007, 10:25 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Starting problem when warm

overheating the starter.

generally caused by an old starter that isnt as tough as it used to be, or headers running too close to the starter and heating it way beyond what it was meant to absorb.

try a heatshield.
if not, mini starters are a good choice.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:31 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i doubt it heat sink in the starter. start cheap, ICM, ignition control module. at 20 bucks ish and takes all of 5 minutes to replaces. those were my exact problems i had when mine were bad. a heat sink starter doesnt even turn over unless you hit it. and sometimes not even then.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:36 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

why would you doubt it?
explain to me your immaginary corilation between the starter moving at crawl speeds because its hot, and the ICM
Old 10-22-2007, 10:40 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: mattdel

why would you doubt it?
explain to me your immaginary corilation between the starter moving at crawl speeds because its hot, and the ICM
ford explained to me a heat soaked starter bindes up thus no movement, so no cranking. if he still cranking over then i would assume thats not correct. they suggested ICM, i came on here, asked the exact same question and as this guy and everyone replied ICM....ICM replaced and never had a problem again. just giving my advice, plus the ICM is cheaper, easier, quicker to replaceand would be a pretty positive sign if i was wrong, that its the starter. i'd much rather spend 20 dollars and be wrong than spend 80 dollars and be wrong, either case you could potentially be spending exactly the same depending which one is bad and which you choose to replace.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:44 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

binding will also cause slow cranking... if he puts a heatshield between his starter and headers... i bet his problem will go away
Old 10-22-2007, 10:49 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

i know my old car would have trouble starting because of the timing. but it was the only way i could lean the car out. but then again doesnt that go back to heat?
Old 10-22-2007, 10:51 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

yes
Old 10-22-2007, 10:55 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ok thats kool, i was just offering my advice. which was advised to me, by most of you big names on here and ford,almost a year ago when i had the exact same symptoms and it solved my problem straight away.

also im sorry mattdel if i came off sound like a di(k....came off kind of harsh, ionly meant it as another suggestion
Old 10-22-2007, 10:57 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: Jasperstang308

i know my old car would have trouble starting because of the timing. but it was the only way i could lean the car out. but then again doesnt that go back to heat?
there is a way around that.... its called a "starter saver"

which on our cars is nothing more than a relay that is wired into the spout connector. the only catch is that you need to find a power source that is hot in the "run" position.. and off in the "start" position.

when cranking the car, it automatically puts your timing at ~28°. but itll start easier with the spout pulled out... or with my "modified starter saver" installed instead

Quick Reply: Starting problem when warm