5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Can't find valve covers for my motor!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 10:24 PM
teal95

Default Can't find valve covers for my motor!!

I am about to install the rocker rollers and Edelbrock Performer RPM II intake, amongseveral other things, that are stacked up in my bedroom. Every dealer I have asked about valve covers tells me the same thing, they don't have any that fit and they don't know anyone that does! I can't believe the thousands of modified fuel injected 95 Tangs with rollers and an after market intake all have home-made valve covers!!! Can someone please help???
Old 10-26-2007, 10:28 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Can't find valve covers for my motor!!

Man just do a search on summit racing and look for the fine print that says it'll clear roller rockers or buy the extra thick valve cover 1/2 gaskets from edelbrock that'll sit your covers a little higher for clearence .....trick flow ones work too and won't interfere with the intake and cause you to need a spacer which then if you used a intake spacer then you might run into hood clearence issues
Old 10-26-2007, 10:32 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

im gonna give my stock covers a try... they cleared my 1.7 pedestal mount rockers... hopefully they will clear my stud mount ones
Old 10-26-2007, 10:58 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

i saw some on ebay for like 45bucks or so shipped that said they were tall so they would clear roller rockers.
not sure how it would affect the intake manifold and if it would then clear the hood or not.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:13 AM
kev2369
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

im gonna give my stock covers a try... they cleared my 1.7 pedestal mount rockers... hopefully they will clear my stud mount ones
I've heard they will... But i know a regular ole stock stamped valve cover won't even come close... But ford racing offers a tall valve cover, but the bad thing is that you will have to run a spacer. What i would do is round up a set of fox covers and take the baffle out. They will clear for sure.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:31 AM
91greengt
1st Gear Member

I changed from pedestal to stud mount with 1.6 rockers on my fox and my stock covers wouldn't even run close. They literally sat on top of the locking nuts and didn't touch the head. This was with no oil baffle.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:31 AM
snakebit95

I know this may be a late post, but I went through the same thing with mine. The best combo I found was to use the Comp Cams Pro-Magnum rockers. They are low profile and will fit under the stock covers if you remove the oil baffle. I even use a standard thickness gasket and run a .585" lift camshaft.

I have never tried the Edelbrock rockers, but if they are anything like the Ford Motorsport rockers, you will need some wider / tallercovers. The curved edges of the stock covers hit the backside of the rockers. When I had that combo, I ran a 1.5" thick manifold spacer along with the tall Ford Motorsport valve covers. I had to massage the passenger side cover to clear the alternator. What a PITA that was!!!

Hope this helps!!
Old 11-23-2007, 08:54 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

adder did yours ever clear? i would think the poly locks would hit, i know they did with my ford racing covers. you can see my fix

Old 11-23-2007, 10:18 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

my stock covers did not even come close to fitting. So i'm using a set of Ford Racing tall valve covers

the only problem I had was that they hit the back of the alternator...which was easy to fix
Old 11-23-2007, 12:49 PM
whitelightning5.0
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

since ya helped me out adder,ill lend you some of what i know..

my stock covers worked on my 1.7 rockers,all i had to do was clearance the baffle where the oil fill is.

im running edelbrock heads and proform 1.7s,they also cleared my 1.6 pedestals.

Quick Reply: Can't find valve covers for my motor!!