5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What to Look For???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 04:40 AM
suzukidragracer
2nd Gear Member

Default What to Look For???

Hi, I'm new to the forum and have just a few questions.

First of all, A little background on me. My name is Vince, I am 19 and currently attend the University of Missouri, Columbia. I currently drive a 2001 Dodge Dakota 5.9 R/T. Great truck. A lot of fun. Reasonably quick for a stocker. And not everyone's got one. But....

Between going to college and working only part-time the truck costs just a little too much for me. Also, I hate to admit it but gas mileage is a bit of a problem too. I average 14.5mpg on the highway @75mph (about $35-$40 to and from KC from Columbia)!

So, I have decided to switch vehicles to a (marginally) more practical vehicle.

I want a 1995 GT 5-spd coupe.

I am looking to spend around $6000 - $9000 on one.

Now for the questions!:

1) What should I watch out for when looking at one in person? (clutch, rust areas, leaks, sounds, ect., besides the obvious)
a) Any 'tests' or 'checks' I can run myself in order to discover such areas?

2) How many miles should be the max that I consider? (80k?)

3) What is the best (opinon) place to start for performance modifications? (I am looking for a good balance of power and suspension compliance)

4) Any modifications that I should watch out for on a car I am looking to buy? (harmful mods)

I think that's about it!

Thank you guys for your time and I look forward to posting my findings in the near future!

~Vince~
Old 02-28-2005, 06:20 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: What to Look For???

ORIGINAL: suzukidragracer

Hi, I'm new to the forum and have just a few questions.

First of all, A little background on me. My name is Vince, I am 19 and currently attend the University of Missouri, Columbia. I currently drive a 2001 Dodge Dakota 5.9 R/T. Great truck. A lot of fun. Reasonably quick for a stocker. And not everyone's got one. But....

Between going to college and working only part-time the truck costs just a little too much for me. Also, I hate to admit it but gas mileage is a bit of a problem too. I average 14.5mpg on the highway @75mph (about $35-$40 to and from KC from Columbia)!

So, I have decided to switch vehicles to a (marginally) more practical vehicle.

I want a 1995 GT 5-spd coupe.

I am looking to spend around $6000 - $9000 on one.

Now for the questions!:

1) What should I watch out for when looking at one in person? (clutch, rust areas, leaks, sounds, ect., besides the obvious)
a) Any 'tests' or 'checks' I can run myself in order to discover such areas?

2) How many miles should be the max that I consider? (80k?)

3) What is the best (opinon) place to start for performance modifications? (I am looking for a good balance of power and suspension compliance)

4) Any modifications that I should watch out for on a car I am looking to buy? (harmful mods)

I think that's about it!

Thank you guys for your time and I look forward to posting my findings in the near future!

~Vince~

welcome vince, befor i begin i would like to say that the gas mileage of a 95 5.0 isnt going to be much better than the dodge, maybe a couple mpg.

anyway,

1. let the engine run for 5 minutes at idle when you go to look at it, check the engine temp and check the oil for milky color and smell it for gas. you dont want either.

be sure to drive the car around a little, make sure the gears go in and out real nice, feel the tranny in neutral, sex it.

2. miles dont really mean a whole lot if the 5.0 was taken care of. i bought mine with 130k.

3. best place to start with performance mods are the engine breathing mods. exhaust being the first and then MAF sensor and Throttle body. both should be wider than stock.

4. if you use common sense than there really isnt a mod out there you need to look out for in particular. if you have any questions about a mod just post a link and we will give you a definite yes or no on that mod.

by the way, i assume you want the 95 mustang for the 5.0 engine, because in 96 the GTs used the 4.6 modular. just wanted to clarify you were getting a 5.0

good choice i might add ...