5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

is this good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Default is this good or bad?

I noticed today that I can start my car without engaging the clutch... had to run out and move it, ive driven an auto for 3 years, and just forgot... turned the key and it started.....

does this mean something is out of adjustment... it shifts fine in all gears...a lil tough to get into reverse sometimes, but that is mostly due to the factory **** starting to seperate on me (need a new **** on my steeda shifter..).
Old 10-30-2007, 08:05 PM
jnsnams
1st Gear Member

Default RE: is this good or bad?

hteres a switch under the clutch pedal that alows you to start or not when pressed in, i once had a 86 model that it got stuck and let me also do that..
Old 10-30-2007, 08:19 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I bypassed that on my 85 it's only a saftey feature and not totally necessary as all 60's mustangs never had that feature
Old 10-30-2007, 08:20 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Why would you want to bypass a safety device? That's like ripping the seatbelts out because they didn't have them at one time. Doesn't make any sense.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

I bypassed that on my 85 it's only a saftey feature and not totally necessary as all 60's mustangs never had that feature
I gotcha, then it prolly got bypassed when the previous owner upgraded the clutch....
Old 10-30-2007, 08:25 PM
adumb
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 91hatchgt

Why would you want to bypass a safety device? That's like ripping the seatbelts out because they didn't have them at one time. Doesn't make any sense.
nice job comparing apples and oranges... one saves your life going 55mph and the other will save you from just looking stupid. when you jump into the car infront of yours.no lives are at stake. definately should look into fixing it but i don't think it is as bad as no seatbelt.

as far as why it was bypassed maybe the car is a converted auto and never installed that part or maybe it was shorting or something. i doubt someone took the time to unhook it if it wasn't giving them a problem.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: adumb

ORIGINAL: 91hatchgt

nice job comparing apples and oranges... one saves your life going 55mph and the other will save you from just looking stupid. when you jump into the car infront of yours.no lives are at stake. definately should look into fixing it but i don't think it is as bad as no seatbelt.

as far as why it was bypassed maybe the car is a converted auto and never installed that part or maybe it was shorting or something. i doubt someone took the time to unhook it if it wasn't giving them a problem.
I dunno, it has a spec stage 2 clutch in it, so maybe they forgot to hook it back up when they put it in, and I'm pretty sure its a factory 5 speed, I'll have to check the vin later... as for shorting, this car had a huge electrical problem that cost me 222 dollars and a speeding ticket
Old 10-30-2007, 08:32 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

It wasn't meant to be taken literally, I was just simply wondering why one would disconnect it. And if you are parked in a garage or near a wall, and you start the car while in gear, you can easily cause a lot of damage to the car, or the building/garage. So it still sounds pretty stupid to me.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:32 PM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

At the NHRA track I race at, the tech official checks to make sure that switch works. If you plan on racing and go to a big track that is tough on tech you are going to need it.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:33 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

I was just about to say that ^^^

Quick Reply: is this good or bad?