5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I have a ? about 5.0 engines

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 08:39 PM
kodadmin

Default RE: I have a ? about 5.0 engines

It should fit with the correct wirring harness and mounts. Are you only going to race that at the track, correct me if I'm wrong but putting an old engine into a new car won't pass emissions standards???
Old 02-28-2005, 11:57 PM
Shifty Powers
3rd Gear Member

and why would that be? i havent gotten the engine yet so ill have it all figured all out by then hopefully
Old 03-01-2005, 12:40 AM
88PatrolCar
2nd Gear Member

Not sure how it is were you live but missouri state law regarding vehicle inspections requires any car that is equiped with a differant engine than the one that came in that perticular car from factory has to fail inspection. As for the emissions its going to be a little bit harder to get that older 302 to pass in a newer car due to the fact that the emission standards are more strict on the 98 than they were in the previous years.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:47 AM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

Especially it being OBDII!
Old 03-01-2005, 10:35 AM
Shifty Powers
3rd Gear Member

i guess ill have to check that out..... thats BS is what im saying... it shouldnt HAVE to fail.... hmmmm ill see what i can do with that... all depends on what year engine i can find... tnx guys for bringin this to my attention..
Old 03-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

shifty where are you located i know a junk yard that has a 98 cobra motor that would work for you with a 5 spd trans i was going to put it in my 88 but decided not to.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:26 PM
Justin_Bradley
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shifty Powers

k cool... this is really cool... im thinkin i found a 5.0 engine for 600... or everything i needed for 2000... im SET! woooooot.... ok could take a while seeing im 17 but hey i think i can pull it off real soon... sweet deal thanks man
I'm 17 as well, and am looking into getting a wrecked 5.0 91-93 in order to swap into my displacement challenged 2.3L.

I used to have a 94 5.0, and lemme tell you: they are the ****, but it is a big responsibility. I couldn't handle it, due to my lack of respect of my dad's kind hearted-ness to buy it for me despite warnings from EVERYONE they talked to. To get all of the mushy bull **** out of the way and put it into lamens terms: two tickets later and I have no car, no license. Not looking for sympathy, just don't want to see another Stang fan go through the same **** I did.

As far as your swap goes:
1.) Swapping a '94-'95 GT drivetrain into any '94-'98 LX is the same; all 1st Gen V6 SN-95s are the same. Are you planning on going with fuel injection? If so, you will need the computer, as well as the engine bay wiring harness (not sure if the dash harness is required). Also, you will want to upgrade the suspension to atleast stock GT struts, shocks, control arms, K-member/cross-member, etc. (sure there is more than that, just can't remember) to withstand the added weight of the V8 engine. Also need to upgrade the brakes to GT spec brakes to withstand the extra weight and power of the 5.0 liter.

With the drivetrain, you will need the engine, of course, and it would be a good idea to upgrade the V6 tranny to GT tranny. Even though they are both called T5s, there is a gearing and tolerance difference between the LX and GT versions. Same thing with the AODs, I think. The rear-end needs to be changed, too. The increased torque of the 5.0 with tear a 7.5" rear-end to pieces if you run it even the slightest bit hard (and I know you wanna ). Just use a GT driveshaft from either a T5 or AOD, whichever you want to go with.

2.) As far as the '02 4.6L Modular, I think that the '96-'04 4.6L are all the same, so yes they are interchangeable, but you would need to get all of the stuff I mentioned up there to get it to work in there, so unless you found a '96-'98 GT for sale cheap with everything except the motor, this may not be the best way to go. But it is up to you.

I tried to share as much as I know (or atleast think that I know ). Keep my informed on how things go man. Good luck.

P.S.- Anyone PM or E-Mail (Pref. E-Mail) me about any wrecked 5.0s you have for cheap. Engine, Tranny, Rear End, Suspension, brakes, and harnesses must all be in decent condition. Thanks. Email is justinbradley@comcast.net .
Old 03-01-2005, 03:31 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

IF you're going to put in a 4.6 then at least get one that's 99-04, because they have the PI heads and are much more powerful than the 96-98 4.6s which were basically a regular car motor.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:18 PM
Shifty Powers
3rd Gear Member

TIMS 88 GT... wow that would be amazing... I am located in New Jersey.... i wouldnt mind paying for shipping if you could get that for me.. what kind of shape would it be in and im guessing u want some $$$ for getting it... my AIM: RAHcomanche66

email is mrjangles11@yahoo.com

although i have an AUTO, i could get a manual tranny for that cobra motor.... please contact me..
Old 03-02-2005, 01:07 AM
Shifty Powers
3rd Gear Member

just when u get a chance let me know man..drop me a line if u want

Quick Reply: I have a ? about 5.0 engines