5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

pre-detonation/ping

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 10:00 AM
nick95GT

Default pre-detonation/ping

any sugestions for a severe ping under load? 93 octane doesn't help anymore. I've replaced the plugs and wires, the plugs were old (probably original) with large gap, white-ish in color, no deposits thoughand looked burnt up? like rounded out electrode and ground strap.New plugs arewhatever Motorcraft plug is recommended, but it still pings like crazy. Anyone know a cooler range plug I can use? preferably Motorcraft. or what other problems might be causing this condition? or other fixes besided cooler plugs? Thanks. Nick
Old 11-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Default RE: pre-detonation/ping

how far advanced is ur timing at? if you advanced it too much, or someone else did, you will detonate. base timing is 10 degrees btdc.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:28 PM
djcondo
2nd Gear Member

i blew a piston in my jeep that way, timing too far advanced, i would really check that out . . .. .
Old 11-05-2007, 08:48 AM
nick95GT

I'll check it out, but I don't think the timing has ever been messed with. This car is 100% bone stock original. It even had (untill recently)the original plugs and wires from 1995. I should mention that sometimes at WOT I will notice a little hesitation and the "check engine light" will pop on and then after a few seconds go away, and the car drives like normal. I haven't checked the codes or anything yet. Will a code still come up if the check engine light isn't current on?
Old 11-05-2007, 09:02 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: djcondo

i blew a piston in my jeep that way, timing too far advanced, i would really check that out . . .. .
Sounds like something more was going on than just your timing...

-Jeff
Old 11-05-2007, 10:44 AM
bamaroxz
2nd Gear Member

yeah, the code will be stored in the ECU. Check your o2 Sensors as well, that is usually what triggers the check light. I assume it has all the smog stuff on it?
Old 11-05-2007, 11:20 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

two problems could cause the detonation....first you'll need to run a koeo/koer test and pull the codes..if any are lean codes then you'll need to troubleshoot those..lean conditions will elevate cylinder chamber temps leading to detonation and or if any codes are related to egr you'll need to troubleshoot that as a malfunctioning egr would not allow cumbustion gases to quench the cylinder chamber which in turn lowers cylinder chamber temps to help aliviate possible ping/spark detonation.........and a 3rd possible issue could be excessive carbon build up in the intake and or on top of the pistons and in the cumbustion chamber.....excessive carbon build up will elevate compression which raises cylinder chamber temps leading to detonation.spark knock/ping...a simple seafoam treatment which is what alot on the forums like will remove carbon build up..but I'm a fan of the BG fuelsystem.induction clean with the heavy duty cleaners...it works wonders!!!!...anyway pull codes first and we can narrow down the possible problem
Old 11-05-2007, 01:52 PM
5.0HOBOMB
1st Gear Member

Im having the exact same problems with my 95' GT during summer days and under load. I already pulled the codes and it said the the fuel system is lean, and that the EGR valve was malfunctioning. I did'nt know what to do about the fuel being lean mainly because I did'nt know what that meant, but I did replace the EGR valve but she still pings. Do any of you think it might be the EGR positioning sensor instead????? Any help will be appriciated.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:10 PM
djcondo
2nd Gear Member

well yeah there was a few other problems but that was one of the main problems
Old 11-05-2007, 02:31 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

definatley check ur timing tho. when i bought my car it was bone stock. but under load i would have a ping.. i ended up blowing a head gasket cuz im a freaking idiot and was ignorant at the time.. i guess the guy before me had advanced the timing to 14* and didnt tell me i needed to run premium.. but now i wish i had known.. and when that happened it hurt my crank/cam bearings cuz now my oil pressure fluxuates and i can hear a tapping from the rockers not getting enough oil... read up on how to time ur car and buy a timing light.. its really easy and takes 5 min. i set mine at 12* and i run 87 octane w/ no issues. good luck