5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

door lock

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:41 AM
KOMan
1st Gear Member

Default door lock

i need to open my driver's side door on my 92 notch. i've tried unlocking the door with the key and it's jammed where the lock will not release. is there a way to get it to release without cutting the door apart? the power door lock doesn't work either.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:49 AM
QuarterMileMaster
1st Gear Member

Default RE: door lock

Sometimes those can be a real pain as you're obviously seeing. Can you turn the key to the right at all like you're locking it? If you can, sometimes... keyword sometimes, you can turn them to the right, and then turn them all the way from the right side to the left quickly. If you keep doing it, it'll start to loosen up a little at a time. Also, if you push in on the door while you do it, it helps relive some pressure from the lock and makes it a little easier to turn. Just keep going back and forth and it should eventually give in. That's what mine did when the actuator died.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Dave5point0
2nd Gear Member

Its a pain to get the interior door panel off with the door closed, couldn't you get in from the pass side and pull the door handle to unlock it? Then remove the interior door panel and fix it.
Just a thought
Old 11-06-2007, 11:02 AM
nseoi
4th Gear Member

i have the same problem on my passenger door right now. the lock actuators froze up. this is how i open my door.

with the window down, stand outside with the key in the lock
wiggle the key back and forth to get the lock to loosen up a bit. then, with one hand on the INSIDE door handle and the other hand on the door lock button thing (what is that thing called, just the door lock), pull up on the door lock as you open the inside handle and just keep wiggling until it pops open.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:09 AM
blk40th
4th Gear Member

lol i have power lock that do not work along with keys that arent right. my hatch doesnt latch, my locks are frozen.pass. side handle is broken. i love my car. haha
Old 11-06-2007, 11:30 AM
KOMan
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dave5point0

Its a pain to get the interior door panel off with the door closed, couldn't you get in from the pass side and pull the door handle to unlock it? Then remove the interior door panel and fix it.
Just a thought
i had this train of thought like most fords will unlock by pulling on the interior door handle, no such luck in this case. the cylinder will move to the right freely but won't move to the left at all. i've ripped part of the door panel off to get my hand into the locking/actuator mechanism, sucker feels welded or i can't get enough leverage to do the trick. i did notice in all this that the door itself opened a hair (i can see daylight through the door and the jamb). i'm going to try kicking it open soon. i should have heeded the warning signs of something about to fail...
Old 11-06-2007, 12:28 PM
bamaroxz
2nd Gear Member

Sometimes you can turn the key to the left (unlock) and hold it and at the same time lift on the door handle as you are turning or have turned the key. From the inside, if you pull on the door handle and grab it at the furthest piont to the door, not thru the (loop) in the handle and will release as you push on the door. My drivers side did this so I got the door opened, took the panel off, and used a screwdriver to pop the latch off of the lock actuator. Now my pass side is doing it, but I can open it as explained above. If your actuators are not working they will not release the lock mechanism. Good luck man.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:40 PM
KOMan
1st Gear Member

Default thanks

thanks for the help. i got it. here's what i did, lower the window, look down at the inside at the back of the lock cylinder. there's 2 rods that one control the lock, 2 control the door handle. took a blunt object and place it on the one controlling the lock and beat down with my hand. gave me an "oh crap" moment because it moved and the key never moved, fixed. works far freer than it did before. i'll retract the statement on the interior door handles unlocking the doors, mine works as a normal ford, the power actuator was the culprit.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:06 PM
Dave5point0
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: thanks

glad to hear it