5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help me out, i'm still a newb

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 11:20 AM
geddylee
2nd Gear Member

Default Help me out, i'm still a newb

So since my transmission went out i've been throwing around ideas for further up on the road. I'm just getting it rebuilt for now. For one, with a good rebuild how long have your guys' t-5's lasted with occasional racing(once a week or less) and being a dd. Second, how much power and torque can one hold safely, i've heard around 330 ft lbs of torque but i thought thata stock fox had almost 300 already.I haven't heard a hp figure. Also, i've been thinking on swapping in a t-56 later on down the road, is the t-5 bellhousing compatible with a t-56? unless the the t-56 bellhousing is smaller than the t-5 one then i would have to uset-5 bellhousing due to clearance issue.

I have two last questions. The first one is what would you all rate the 85 stock HO cam in terms of lopeyness(sound) ona 1 to 10 scale, my friends all seem to think i have an aftermarket cam(i think it sounds stock and wheni wasworking on the engine beforei put it ini didn't look).

Last but not least, i have a huge hesitation in my throttle, i know it's probably because of the carb. If i mash the gas the car almost always falls flat on its face almost to the point of dying, there are no noticable misses or hesitation under normal acceleration. My real question is, is it something i can fix without kitting the carb? if i have to kit to fix it i will just wait as i'm selling this carb to my friend(cause he's an edelbrock man) and using the money to buy a Remanufactured holley from summit(cause i'm a holley man). when i do that i assume the problem should be gone with a little tuning. Sorry for the long post.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:00 PM
geddylee
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Help me out, i'm still a newb

bump
Old 11-07-2007, 06:29 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: geddylee

So since my transmission went out i've been throwing around ideas for further up on the road. I'm just getting it rebuilt for now. For one, with a good rebuild how long have your guys' t-5's lasted with occasional racing(once a week or less) and being a dd. Second, how much power and torque can one hold safely, i've heard around 330 ft lbs of torque but i thought thata stock fox had almost 300 already.I haven't heard a hp figure. Also, i've been thinking on swapping in a t-56 later on down the road, is the t-5 bellhousing compatible with a t-56? unless the the t-56 bellhousing is smaller than the t-5 one then i would have to uset-5 bellhousing due to clearance issue.

I have two last questions. The first one is what would you all rate the 85 stock HO cam in terms of lopeyness(sound) ona 1 to 10 scale, my friends all seem to think i have an aftermarket cam(i think it sounds stock and wheni wasworking on the engine beforei put it ini didn't look).

Last but not least, i have a huge hesitation in my throttle, i know it's probably because of the carb. If i mash the gas the car almost always falls flat on its face almost to the point of dying, there are no noticable misses or hesitation under normal acceleration. My real question is, is it something i can fix without kitting the carb? if i have to kit to fix it i will just wait as i'm selling this carb to my friend(cause he's an edelbrock man) and using the money to buy a Remanufactured holley from summit(cause i'm a holley man). when i do that i assume the problem should be gone with a little tuning. Sorry for the long post.
a lope with a stock 85 cam and a hesitation I'd look for vaccum leaks..an 85 stock cam doesnt have a lope per say....................and kitting the carb???[sm=WTFsgign.gif]..I think you mean jetting the carb....if you got no clue about how to tune a carb... better [sm=icon_rtfm.gif]or buy one = how to tune a carb manual...summit sells them and edelbrock has a guide on their website..... you'll have to determine where the hesitation is and that'll tell you what circuit on the carb needs tuning ..like part throttle, cruise mode/light acceleration, full throttle hesitation, hesitation from cruise to part throttle..............could need the accelerator pump circuit tuned.....all depends on what style of carb you have as to how and where the location of each circuit to tune is...but before tuning a carb..all tune up items must be in good shape and internal integrity of motor must be good andno vaccum leaks present and timing set correctly
Old 11-07-2007, 08:24 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

W/C T-5's are rated at 265
Old 11-07-2007, 08:33 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

my rebuild t5 from astroperformance blew up in a few months... my stock one out of an sn95 w. an input shaft i had, is holding more power and fine... knock on wood... i rebuild my original trans(not the astro, one before that)and its waiting to go in just in case

get one from ddperformance.com
Old 11-07-2007, 08:34 PM
white93pony
3rd Gear Member

if you wanna put a t-56 nothing is the same i could contact d&d motorsports they offer a kit to put on in a fox. as for the t-5 they are rated at 305 depending on if its a wc or not if not its rated at 265. i have wc with the mods listed below and so far have had no probs but am waiting for the day. the hesitation is prolly from a misadjusted carb and the lope is prolly a vaccum leak. go buy some carb cleaner and spray it all over the intake and listen to see if it idles up it so try to narrow it down to the exact spot
Old 11-08-2007, 09:26 PM
geddylee
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

a lope with a stock 85 cam and a hesitation I'd look for vaccum leaks..an 85 stock cam doesnt have a lope per say....................and kitting the carb???[sm=WTFsgign.gif]..I think you mean jetting the carb....if you got no clue about how to tune a carb... better [sm=icon_rtfm.gif]or buy one = how to tune a carb manual...summit sells them and edelbrock has a guide on their website..... you'll have to determine where the hesitation is and that'll tell you what circuit on the carb needs tuning ..like part throttle, cruise mode/light acceleration, full throttle hesitation, hesitation from cruise to part throttle..............could need the accelerator pump circuit tuned.....all depends on what style of carb you have as to how and where the location of each circuit to tune is...but before tuning a carb..all tune up items must be in good shape and internal integrity of motor must be good andno vaccum leaks present and timing set correctly
When I was talking about the lope I meant that it was completely possible for me to have an aftermarket cam. Since you say that the 85 HO cam has no lope, then I must have an aftermarket cam. The motor idles perfectly, and there are no vacuum leaks, it just has a nice mild lope[8D]. Sorry about the confusion, when I said "kitting the carb" I mean rebuilding the carb, that's just what I've always called it. I know what jetting a carb is.I figured that since the car idles fine, doesn't die, has no vacuum leaks, and the motor is good(I know it is because we had to change a bunch of stuff to make it compatible with my car), that the carb just needs rebuilt. The hesitation is at WOT, if I mash the gas it bogs out and falls flat on it's face. It doesn't die and as soon as I take my foot of the gas and reapply it, it's fine.

Is the W/C rated at 265 or 305 you guys said both. Is that an hp or tq? How do I tell if mine is a W/C or not? What can I do to make the T-5 stronger or should I bother? Oh, and a kit to put a T-56 in a Fox is not going to help me much as I don't own one.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:34 PM
white93pony
3rd Gear Member

if its the original trans i dont believe its even a borg warner. but if it is wc is rated at 305 hp. astro performance is builting a t-5 that can hold 500-600 hp. looking into one myself. i could be wrong im not very fimilar with the cobra II cars but your car should be the same base platform as a fox car.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:49 PM
geddylee
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: white93pony

if its the original trans i dont believe its even a borg warner. but if it is wc is rated at 305 hp. astro performance is builting a t-5 that can hold 500-600 hp. looking into one myself. i could be wrong im not very fimilar with the cobra II cars but your car should be the same base platform as a fox car.
It says Borg Warner on the side. The Mustang II's have nothing in common with Fox, Foxes shared their platform with theFairmont, and the Mustang II's shared their platform with the Pinto. Fox parts are not compatible with Mustang II parts, well... not unless you aren't afraid to use a hammer[sm=lildevil.gif].
Old 11-08-2007, 09:58 PM
white93pony
3rd Gear Member

well i know that the trannys are interchangeable with the pinto and fox cars. i feel kinda dumb right now i havent messed with the older cars much.

Quick Reply: Help me out, i'm still a newb