5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

5.0 Cobra not running right, help

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 09:24 PM
white93pony
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 5.0 Cobra not running right, help

ive replaced the module thinkin that it would be that but nop. havent changed the pick up yet but kinda leanin towards savin for an msd dist. i havent had it on the dyno to check yet but plan to.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:38 PM
offroad

I was going to say that very thing, I already have an MSD box but couldn't get it to work, not sure why it might be dead. But i'm tempted to get a new pickup and an MSD distributor lol. with the MSD ignition and distro you should be able to advance the timing quite a bit more. But i'm curious how many other people have had this same issue here and what they've done about it? I don't know why it would run lean with the combination of the gt40 heads and 24# injectors which points more towards timing, and why the timing isn't being controlled by the computer right is beyond me. If it was a problem with the distributor/timing why would increasing my fuel pressure have helped it? And i don't reallyk now if buying a chip for it would really help or not if its having a timing issue.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:43 PM
white93pony
3rd Gear Member

well like i was saying before increasing the fp that much will lean out the motor. when you retard the timing it is like richening the motor when you advance it its adversily leaning the motor, so basically what your doing is leaning the motor out while its retarding the timing thus making the motor run better. well some what lol
Old 11-08-2007, 09:45 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

what did you specify when you ordered the PMAS?

did you say it was being used with a cobra, or with a regular 5.0
Old 11-08-2007, 09:51 PM
offroad

whitepony, so it sounds like by increasing my fp i basically put a bandaid over the fact that my timing is too retarded lol. I'll see what i can do about reversing them, but like i said about 11 degrees it wanted to ping which isn't much advanced from where it is.. I'll have to fill her with a tank of supreme and try it again.

Adder, you are talking about my Mass Air Meter? I actually bought it used, I bought it from a guy that had it in a ford lightning, and it is calibrated for the 24lb injectors.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:54 PM
white93pony
3rd Gear Member

???? 11 wanted to ping? hmmmm is there anything done to the heads sounds like it has HIGH compression im running 16 base with no prob on 87 gas. 10 is stock setting.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:59 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

The reason i ask is because you can order a PMAS sensor for a cobra... which will run 24# injectors on the cobra... but will actually only work 19# injectors on a regular 5.0

see if you can get your hands on a stock MAF and try that... your car might be confused
Old 11-08-2007, 10:00 PM
offroad

whitepony, Well i don't know first hand, I left it with my mechanic for a day while i was at work to fiddle with it and he said when he advanced the timing it had a lot more power but was pinging, but come to think of it i think i had an exhaust leak at the time which coulda been the noise he heard.. Nothing is done to the heads to increase compression, So i think i ought to take another stab at it. Take the FP down to 40 and advance my timing (again would be 10x faster on a dyno )

I wonder why you are still having this same problem since you were able to advance your timing so much more than mine is?

Adder, What is it about the cobra MAF that makes it only work 19# injectors on a stock 5.0? I do have access to another aftermarket maf that is calibrated for 24# injectors. And by stock MAF do you mean a stock 24# maf for a cobra or stock 19# MAF for a HO?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:04 PM
white93pony
3rd Gear Member

not sure like i was sayin im wondering if maybe a wire is messed up and giving the comp a wrong reading and making it retard the timing on the bottom end. ive checked all the wires i could so far so good. yea exhaust tick could throw somebody off.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:15 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

you need to forget about what you know about calibrated MAF's

a 94-95 cobra maf is exactly the same as a 94-95 GT maf... one runs 24# injectors and one had 19# injectors..

your car is probably not reading properly

Everyone else needs to stop posting in this thread so I can figure out the ****ing problem.... so everyone else.. STFU

you have an 89 motor, 89 ecm, so Ill assume A9L
cobra top end.. are you 100% sure that you have 24# injectors?
You may find that although the PMAS was in a lightning, that it is infact actually a 19# calibrated MAF

put a stock 88-95 MAF in your car and see if ti runs any different... My money says that you will notice no difference at all

Quick Reply: 5.0 Cobra not running right, help