5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

T5 fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 04:32 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

Default RE: T5 fluid?

ORIGINAL: 92GreenLX

BTW Ford says to use motor oil in their 5 speeds cause the ATF was too thin.
the WC T5 uses ATF BECAUSE its thin, it lubricates the needle bearings properly
Old 11-09-2007, 05:33 PM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

hey thanks for all the responses..been a lot of good info here..one thing that popped up in my head tho...i dont rememember where i read it...but somethin said that the 94-95 T5 was a world class T5..that rated at like 330 ft/lbs....and the foxes were non-world class n rated at 300...is this true?...and ya i put the royal purple synchromax in...and the reason i asked is after i got all of it in..i looked closer at the bottle n it said bla bla..for manual transmissions..and i had always heard to use auto in a t5...so i was like **** now i got 30 bucks worth of fluid thats wrong..but if thats what you guys are usin too then i figure im fine. Another question not related to the fluid..but when i put it in reverse..if i just let the clutch out..no gas...its quiet...but if i use the gas n actually back up somewhat fast.u can like idk its like u can hear the gear each time the teeth make contact...this is my first manual so idk if this is something bad that needs to be fixed right away ...or if i should just back up slowly to keep it from doing it...
Old 11-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Streetracer911
3rd Gear Member

With any manual car it makes that whining sound in reverse...its fine...nothing is wrong
Old 11-09-2007, 05:44 PM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

lol...oh how i wish i could post up a sound ..lol i dont know how to type the sound it makes..its not a whine....cuz i know what the whine is...my auto used to do that...its more rrrrrrrrrrrrr...ish ..if that makes any sense lol...i feel retarted..im typin sounds little kids make lol...
Old 11-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Streetracer911
3rd Gear Member

yea that would be the sound...lol....nothing wrong with it....manual cars do it like I said before
Old 11-09-2007, 09:27 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: Merle

ORIGINAL: mjr46

Use the ATF, that's what Ford recommends. I think the other stuff is equivalent to gear lube, which is way too thick.
Wrong newbie!!![&:]....the syncromax is specially formulated to work in manual transmissions and will work fine in a t-5...that's what I have in mine with no problem at all
I maybe a newbie here, but that doesn't mean I don't know what I'm doing. Just because your using syncromax in yours doesn't mean it's right.
You obviously have no clue what royal purplesyncromax is or what BG products syncromesh was developed for and what is intended use is...rather then post a whole page on it's use and what its for...I'll just leave it at that.....your reply reflects your ignorance to the product...so google it and learn about it so you don't open your mouth and stick your foot in it like you just did......and just so you know it is just as correct to use it in a manual trans that requires atf as a lubricant as it would be to use what the manfactorer states. and furthermore it's not equivalant to gear lube or even close to gear lubes consistancy..........[&:]
Old 11-09-2007, 10:27 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94Yellow50

hey thanks for all the responses..been a lot of good info here..one thing that popped up in my head tho...i dont rememember where i read it...but somethin said that the 94-95 T5 was a world class T5..that rated at like 330 ft/lbs....and the foxes were non-world class n rated at 300...is this true?...and ya i put the royal purple synchromax in...and the reason i asked is after i got all of it in..i looked closer at the bottle n it said bla bla..for manual transmissions..and i had always heard to use auto in a t5...so i was like **** now i got 30 bucks worth of fluid thats wrong..but if thats what you guys are usin too then i figure im fine. Another question not related to the fluid..but when i put it in reverse..if i just let the clutch out..no gas...its quiet...but if i use the gas n actually back up somewhat fast.u can like idk its like u can hear the gear each time the teeth make contact...this is my first manual so idk if this is something bad that needs to be fixed right away ...or if i should just back up slowly to keep it from doing it...
83-ish - 85 use Non-WC T5s
86-95 use WC T5s

86-92 were rated at 300ft-lbs
93-95 were rated at 330ft-lbs
Old 11-09-2007, 11:56 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

Use the ATF, that's what Ford recommends. I think the other stuff is equivalent to gear lube, which is way too thick.
Wrong newbie!!![&:]....the syncromax is specially formulated to work in manual transmissions and will work fine in a t-5...that's what I have in mine with no problem at all
I maybe a newbie here, but that doesn't mean I don't know what I'm doing. Just because your using syncromax in yours doesn't mean it's right.
You obviously have no clue what royal purplesyncromax is or what BG products syncromesh was developed for and what is intended use is...rather then post a whole page on it's use and what its for...I'll just leave it at that.....your reply reflects your ignorance to the product...so google it and learn about it so you don't open your mouth and stick your foot in it like you just did......and just so you know it is just as correct to use it in a manual trans that requires atf as a lubricant as it would be to use what the manfactorer states. and furthermore it's not equivalant to gear lube or even close to gear lubes consistancy..........[&:]
im with you all the way, it's syncromax for the win. i've done my research and know it's better than standard atf. it may say im a newbie but i am far from one in real life, i used syncromax in my t-5 before i replaced it for the tko which i swapped in myself and this thing will Only see syncromax. it's speciall formulated for Standard trannys that require atf. learn about something before you put it down.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:47 AM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

ok cool ..thanks for all the help guys...and ya i had like two or three other people who have had more experience with the manuals in the car tonight...and they all said the noise in reverse was normal...and as for the fluid...royal purple synchromax now resided in my t5..and there gear lube in my rear end from when i put the gear in..now someday whenever i get around to buildin a motor up..there oil will be in that ...seems like royal purple is the way to go for all uses. again thanks for the replys and the help
Old 11-10-2007, 01:02 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

oh also, you may want to look into getting one of the ew covers for the rearend cause stock its a bitch to fill it up. also if you build the motor up enough you may wanna look into doing a tranny swap, maybe going for a tko, i just did one into mine and they have no problem shifting. just a good thing to keep in mind for later, since the t-5 can only handle so much

Quick Reply: T5 fluid?