5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Spec stage 3 clutch or king cobra? Ram?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 05:57 PM
50Stocker
2nd Gear Member

Default Spec stage 3 clutch or king cobra? Ram?

Ialready ordered a SPEC Stage 3 clutch for my car. A stock engined '93 GT. It only has flows, and will shortly have a full exhaust (o/r pipe and shorties). I originally thought it was overkill for my car, rated at 680 lb/ft. In the distant futureI want to add heads/cam/intake. Shop (whom I have never worked with before) uses this clutch pretty much exclusively, so under hesitation I ordered it.

I called spec and they said that this is the most popular clutch for this car, but it will chatter under daily driving, and is more on/off than a factory clutch. The shopI was thinking of have doing his work said this has not been a problem for them. They said it has become an issue with the stage 3+ clutch. The SPEC rep said they are out of their minds. I would be using the four puck style.

Regarding the stage 3, I had seen some reviews where people stated it chattered during break in, but got better. Others replied that it will be too much clutch for my T-5 which will be rebuilt.

Now I am thinking that before any work starts on the car(and while I can still eat a clutch before any labor starts)that I should stick with a full face style and go with the King Cobra as I had originally planned. If I go with the Cobra, has anyone stayed with their stock quadrant to keep the self-adjusting feature. I feel that the A/M cables, quadrants/ firewall adjusters are a double edged sword as some people reuse the stock cable, some say it frays. Others have constant adjusting issues. The 1979-1993 "Official Ford 5.0 Mustang Technical Reference..." book by Kirschenbaum(red '93 Cobra on the front)basically strays away from these saying to leave 'em for competition use only.

OR...i was considering ordering the complete Ram "Master Clutch replacement Kit" from Latemodel Resto Supply for $339. Is any one using that clutch? How is it for frequent use? http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...1&comp=LRS

I already ordered a UPR triple hook to go with the spec clutch. I was basically told it was good to be matched with the Spec 3 clutch for pedal tension and adjustment.

I do not drag race my car, it is basically a hobby car for me to go to shows, and cruise in. Maybe one day start going to some SVTOA/ or road racing events.

Any furtherinput is appreciated. Also, thank you to any members that helped with my prior question. Sorry there are so many questions in one post.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:05 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Spec stage 3 clutch or king cobra? Ram?

To much clutch for you mods....A King cobra clutch would better suit your car IMO....I ran a King Cobra clutch in my 99 S/C car and ran low 12's without a hickup....Great clutch for the money...I'm currently running a spec 3 clutch in my 11 sec 94,and IMOspec 3 is more of a race clutch....
Old 11-14-2007, 06:13 PM
StangBandit

A couple weeks ago I put in a SPEC Stage 1 and it chatteredpretty badto begin with, so I'd figure the Stage 3 would do it more so. Its gettin lighter slowly, but reverse is still decently harsh. I'm not gonna make any recomendations or anything sinceI'm not well versed on the subject. Just thought I'd chip in with what I've experience with SPEC.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:18 PM
CHILLERMAN
1st Gear Member

Thats too much clutch for what your doing. With my mods, I was still running the original stock clutch in my car. That clutch held up to the strip pretty well. I was running 8.0's and 7.90's consistently on that clutch. The king cobra is as much clutch your going to need or it's equivalent. I'm running the king cobra now as I was out of adjustment on my stock cable (plastic quadrant was at the end of it's range), so I did a steeda cable kit with aluminum quadrant and firewall adjuster and love it. The cobra clutch grabs harder and works fine for me. No it's time for me to do some suspension mods to get my car to hook now.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:22 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

If you follow spec's break-in period the chatter goes away eventually. Even if you dont, you still lose the chatter. They reccomend a 500 mile break in. Mine chattered at first, a stage 3, but after a while it went away. BTW, i had about a 15 mile break in.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:37 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

That ram package looks pretty good for the price and what you get. I would however, call ram and see what exactly the type of clutch it is. I'm sure it's their entry level bargain basement model.

For what you are doing, I'd go with a Centerforce Dual Friction. Very good clutch for street and strip.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:08 PM
50Stocker
2nd Gear Member

http://www.ramclutches.com/Specialty...0Clutch%20setsThis is the ram clutch in the kit. It is a full face style, and appears a step over their basic clutch. I will call them tomorrow and talk to them about it.

Anyone else have any experiences with the Ram clutch HDX model?

Thanks again for all of the help everyone...now... anyone want to buy a brand new Spec Stage 3 clutch not even received yet? Haha...

I really can't understand why a shop would suggest such a clutch when I told them my future plans etc. Unless they are on the edge of getting the free trip to Hawaii with one more clutch sale. Haha. I think my best interest really got lost here from a customer standpoint. In this instanceI was relying on the opinion of the shop who came with a good reference.

Thanks again.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:15 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Just return it. Like I said in my earlier post, find another shop. They obviously have no clue.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:40 PM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

I had that Ram clutch in my car and it did great. I am very hard on clutches on this one stood up very well. Everyone has different experiences with clutches and I have had two of the FRPP heavy duty clutches, not the King Cobra, one of the discs didn't do well with nitrous, and the other one I broke the center out of the disc. I had a Centerforce DF also. This by far was the nicest pedal and easiest to drive, but it didn't last for me. I had one disc that I was constantly adjusting. I called Centerforce and I had to box it up and send it to them. They did give me a new disc at no charge other than shipping but it did the same thing. I then went to Autozone and bought a factory replacement disc and used it with the Centerforce pressure plate and that did great. When I got my new gears for my T5 I got the new Ram with a fine spline disc. I would get the adjustable quadrant and cable.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:09 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

LOL.. you bought a clutch rated at 680ft lbs capacity for a stock motor....

can you say OVERKILL

you should have just bought a stocker from your local part store.

LMAO. I'm running a 347 stroker and I dont need that much clutch

Quick Reply: Spec stage 3 clutch or king cobra? Ram?