5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Locked out of trunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 06:30 PM
sherwood

Default Locked out of trunk

I just bought a 1991 Convertible project and I noticed that the key wont open trunk and the trunk release wont pop it either. I am assuming its siezed. My question is, how do I get in there without calling a locksmith? Can I drill it without hurting the trunk lid? Let me know. Thanks, Eric
Old 11-17-2007, 07:38 PM
1fstlx
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Locked out of trunk

well if your trunk lid is like mine (which im sure it is) look under the lip just above the license plate and you should see a black metal plate between the license lamps held in place by a aluminum rivet. u can either break the head of it or drill it. after you do pop out the metal plate with a flathead screwdriver. (that should come out easy) then you can pull the key lock out. after that look down the hole with a flashlight and you should see a slot big enough for a flathead screwdriver. spray alot of good penetrating oil down the keyhole and then stick the flathead screwdriver in that slot and try to pop the trunk by turning it just like you would a key. let me know how it turns out.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:46 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

does the button make noise ?

Old 11-17-2007, 07:48 PM
1995GT5.0T5
2nd Gear Member

or, you may be able to get the rear seat out?? idk how much that would help you but it would give you access to the trunk??
Old 11-17-2007, 09:06 PM
sherwood

1fstlx - I will give that a shot tomorrow.

nitrous_bob - Yes the button makes noise but it doesn't pop the trunk open. I had the wife hit the button while I pull up on the trunk with no luck.

1995GT5.0T5 - I have never owned a convertible before so I don't know how accessible the trunk would be with the convertible air pump and such behind there. I will look though.

Thanks a lot for the help. I appreciate it. Will keep informed if it works. Thanks, Eric

Old 11-18-2007, 04:36 PM
sherwood

Well, I got the trunk open but I had to drill out the lock. I took out the rivet and pulled the cylinder lock retainer out but the lock wouldnt come out. I ended up pulling up on the trunk and it popped open. I un-bolted the latch mechanism and seen there was a retainer on the inside of the trunk also. I also noticed that there would be no room to remove the rear seat and climb in and do anything. Thanks again for the help.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:40 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

I dont know if conv. are any different, but in hatch's you must have the ign. turned on or button will not work.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:26 PM
sherwood

I dont remember if I had the ignition on or not but the solenoid did engage back there. After I opened the trunk, the latch was pretty frozen up with rust. There is no motor or trans or a wire harness to power up the car. I had to directly wire the fuse panel up to a car battery. I'll post some pictures here in another thread of this convertible I got for $450 to my door.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:13 PM
anthros
2nd Gear Member

in my hatch i can pop the hatch with the key out of the ignition....
Old 11-18-2007, 06:25 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

I cant do it in my 89. Used to i thought the damn thing was broke untill i realized my ignition must be on.

Quick Reply: Locked out of trunk