5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Best Budget combo

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 10:54 PM
deanzawistowski
2nd Gear Member

Default Best Budget combo

my baseline is an 87 lx 5.0L with 135,xxx miles.
373, subframes, BBK upr and lwr control arms, electric ran, u/d pullies, shorter belt (no smog or ac), full exhaust, and drag radials

I have about 2000 to spend on the car

I just wanted to get some ideads on how to make alot of power cheap. some thing im set on are goin carbed and probably nitrous.

I was thinking maybe the combo thumper sells for 900 (the ported e7s) that comes with a cam and timing chain. Or possible a set of AFR 165's but that would drain almost my whole budget unless i can find a good used pair. Ideally id like something that can break into the 12s

im kinda lost here so any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old 11-18-2007, 11:12 PM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Best Budget combo

The best bang for your buck is nitrous. If you are dead set on going carbed go ahead and get the intake, carb, distributor, throttle cable & bracket and a NOS cheater system. You are also going to have to do something with your fuel system. The EFI pump isn't going to work with a carb, so you will need a fuel tank pickup for a carbed 85 Mustang or buy one of those inserts that does away with the fuel pump and has AN fittings on the outlet, return,and vent lines. I think Granatelli makes it. make sure you upgrade you ignition while you are at it.That should exhaust your budget and get you comfortablly in the 12s.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:29 PM
deanzawistowski
2nd Gear Member

i just figured carbed was the cheaper way to make more power verses switches to mass and and having to worry about injectors and mass air meters and other things
Old 11-18-2007, 11:35 PM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

If all you want is run 12s on nitrous you really don't need to change over. You can do that with a healthy shot of spray on what you have. I would get the NOS big shot plate, 255 lph fuel pump, a good igniton box (MSD digital 6/Crane), and a rpmwindow switch. That plate system is the way to go! NOS make it for popular intakes if you ever decide to change from stock, all you would have to buy is the plate.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:47 PM
deanzawistowski
2nd Gear Member

id like to build something that has decent power and then the nitrous would just be the icing on the cake
Old 11-19-2007, 09:44 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

how about 900.00 patriot heads, a 40.00 cloyes timing chain, 30.00 hardened pushrods, 80.00 for a gasket set maybe, now your @ 1050.00

a used explorer intake from ebay or your local junk yard for what? 100 or 200 bucks?!?! we'll call it 1250.00, and a decent OTS grind roller cam for a couple hundred bucks

aim a tad high and say your @ 1500.00 total. that leaves 500.00 for misc whatevers you may want to add as supporting mods. larger throttle body? larger MAF sensor? both?
Old 11-19-2007, 10:25 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Funny, you're trying to move from EFI to carb while I'm headed the other way with my classic. Like 77 suggested, I'm using an Explorer intake ($200 from Ebay, blasted and finished like new) with my B-cam Ford crate motor. I also picked up a used Accufab 65mm TB and a Pro-M MAF and will be using 24# injectors.

My advice is to plan the whole thing out carefully to attain an ultimate goal and work directly towards that path. When restoring my '65 fastback, I figured I'd get it running first and then go EFI down the road. However, my tinkering bug is not satisfied so I'm going to EFI now and I'm going to take it in the shorts selling my near new takeoffs (RPM air-gap manifold, Thunder AVS carb, MSD pro-billet dizzy (steel gear), 6AL, tach adaptor, coil and Holley red pump). [] Thank goodness for Ebay.

If it were me, I'd follow 77's buildup model and switch to MAF ... though I got ya' covered on parts if you go carb.

Good luck!
Jeff
Old 11-19-2007, 11:24 AM
deanzawistowski
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

how about 900.00 patriot heads, a 40.00 cloyes timing chain, 30.00 hardened pushrods, 80.00 for a gasket set maybe, now your @ 1050.00

a used explorer intake from ebay or your local junk yard for what? 100 or 200 bucks?!?! we'll call it 1250.00, and a decent OTS grind roller cam for a couple hundred bucks

aim a tad high and say your @ 1500.00 total. that leaves 500.00 for misc whatevers you may want to add as supporting mods. larger throttle body? larger MAF sensor? both?
what patriot heads would you suggest getting?
Old 11-19-2007, 11:26 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

ok **** that.... stay efi... and stay mass air... right now im redoing some **** w. my car and shooting for 12.00-12.50... with a little more i know it should see high 11s, but thats not in the buget

1st off i know all about budgets... my entire car is a budget build... 4cyl suspension, used nitrous kit, used rear, really its all budget.

heres what im doing to get that 12.00-12.50...
3.73 gears
no front sway bar
4banger springs-front
strange 10 way struts-front(if ur budget is that too tight, get some 70/30s or 90/10s, but i suggest the strange's)
stock rear suspension
skinnies
m/t drag radials 235/60/15
comp cam(sd friendly)
100 shot of nitrous(wet)
frpp shorties
o/r h pipe
dumped flows
short shifter

thats it... on the list was going to be a crane hi-6s box, but im canceling that order becausei need a shortblock

and yes, i expect 12.00-12.50 with that... i may port my lower intake mani, and exhaust ports... maybe...

as far as mycar i think i have 4k into it... including a 1k transmission, a 200$ transmission, and rims

so what... 2k in mods???

then again for 2000 you can go many routes... one thing ill suggest though is staying efi... our injectors are good to about 300rwhp anyway... for 2k u wont, or shouldnt surpass that

then again a s/c can be had for 2k, so can an h/c/i kit

gt40p's are cheap and raise compression a little, which nitrous likes...

i know i keep adding random ****, but if u wanna spray it, go ahead and use head studs... just for piece of mind, i use arp bolts and dont have problems, but i might go ahead and buy studs...
Old 11-19-2007, 11:39 AM
deanzawistowski
2nd Gear Member

my only problem is i have SD and it seems like the general consensus is to switch over to mass air when your increasing airflow like that. It just seemed cheaper to go carbed espically since its a weekend car and i dont have to worry about reliability or gas mileage.

Quick Reply: Best Budget combo