5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Alum Rad, Electric fan, and Alternator setup?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 09:21 AM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Alum Rad, Electric fan, and Alternator setup?

oh dont get me wrong, i am also using a relay. Im just saying that a toggle switch generally is a better idea then running it into the ignition, because sometimes you dont want it to run. Expecially with how cold its been here. The car needs to get to operating temp first.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:15 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92cobra

oh dont get me wrong, i am also using a relay. Im just saying that a toggle switch generally is a better idea then running it into the ignition, because sometimes you dont want it to run. Expecially with how cold its been here. The car needs to get to operating temp first.
it doesnt matter, since the thermostat wont allow the coolant to flow until the engine reaches operating temp
Old 11-24-2007, 01:17 PM
kcsoa22
2nd Gear Member

I don't have cooling issues right now, so would I really need an electric fan, If I was to just install an aluminum radiator?
Old 11-24-2007, 01:22 PM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

installing an electric fan will increase your hp so its not necessarily a bad plan. However if you dont want to you might be able to use the stock fan with an aluminum radiator. However, i personally would go with electric to free up the hp and to have better air flow.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:05 PM
kcsoa22
2nd Gear Member

What do you think about this set up?

I would rather have something bolt it, I don't want to be scavenging junk yards for taurus fans and relays. With this, it runs based on the coolant temp sensor like oem cars do.

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/ford-mustang.html
Old 11-24-2007, 02:09 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kcsoa22

What do you think about this set up?

I would rather have something bolt it, I don't want to be scavenging junk yards for taurus fans and relays. With this, it runs based on the coolant temp sensor like oem cars do.

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/ford-mustang.html
you can setup the tauraus fan the same way, and for the price it cant be beat, flows MORE then almost any fan except for the 3-400 dollar ones

all you need to find in the junkyard is the fan, autozone sells the rest

EDIT: heres a very nice write up

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...cfan/index.php
Old 11-24-2007, 02:18 PM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

agreed, or just get one off ebay if you dont want to go to the junkyard.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:27 PM
kcsoa22
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the link, interesting.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:04 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i just bought a taurus electric fan for 25 bucks and the thermostat kit for 70 i think(i dont want a toggle switch, i like mine to run by itselflike it was stock on the car off the production line) im going to wire this up when it gets warm out again. too cold to do this crap outside in the snow.

i just did my 3 g alt the other day in less than an hour. i took a cut off wheel to the stock bracket and hacked it off in 2 seconds got myself an aftermarket battery terminal thing with a place for two 4 gauge wires, ran my wire, hooked up the two eyelets, wired the stator plugall in about 10 minutes. ran to the store for a serpantine belt(mine was an inch too short) threw it on, hooked up the battery and fired it up. worked beautifully.

and i have the summit aluminum dual row rad. only 250 bucks and cools just as well as anything else out there for the money. its extremely light too.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kcsoa22
Any one tried this fan/rad combo?
http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/ford-mustang.html[/align][/align]
Yeah Ive got it on my 1991 coupe, I like it very much, also have DC controls var fan controller. I am actually right now in the middle of wiring up the option to over-ride the auto control with adding ON/AUTO switch

http://www.thatmetalbox.com/Automotive/FoxCool//

was able to do my upgrades wiring switches and circuit breaker without drilling any holes. Haa ha I guess im glad there are so many holes in the engine compartment, I am currently wiring up my 3g alternator and added distribution blocks one in pass side by the strut-tower sheetmetal and one in the dirver side strut tower... and didnt have to drill any holes again!

Holy Ford Engine Compartments, Batman!~~

Quick Reply: Alum Rad, Electric fan, and Alternator setup?