5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Listen to this GUYS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 09:17 PM
5.0 85 GT
3rd Gear Member

Default Listen to this GUYS!!!!

So, today i took out my noble 85 gt t-top steed out for a prance...and as i came to a stop sign a 94 lt1 camaro with pipes and cheater slicks was in front of me, he revved his car up and i returned with a burble or two, anyways i followed him for a bit both of us showin each other wat we got for power, so we get to a corner and he revs it up and dumps it slidin out aroudn the corner, i downshifted from 3rd to secodn and ran his *** down, we approached a mild corner doin 90 both of our cars tires squealin, i ran from 2nd to 5th wide open, the only mods to my car are a 3;73 rear, heads were boiled and new crankshaft, holley carb, and ford motorsport springs pullies, and a hurst short throw, i found it kind of sad that a almost stock 5.0 t-top stang i ahd them off while racing, could run with/pull a lt1 camaro..i loved eevryminute of it.
Now heres where i get a problem...i come to the next light and my car overheats, its overheated b4 just from drivin it for an extended period of time, i lose all my radiator fluid, and iw as wondering what u guys think it is? is it a thermostat? if so waht brand do you suggest? also my tranny began leakin a small little puddle of pink fluid, only does that when the car gets hot to or i powershift i think...is it a seal? its dripping form the back of the tranny..thansk guys please help me out..thakns in advance!!!!
Old 11-22-2007, 09:24 PM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Listen to this GUYS!!!!

My first suggestion would be thermostat for the overheating. Your transmission leaking problem is going to be your tailshaft seal. If it only does it when you are beating on it then it may need a tail shaft bushing also. When you do the seal see how much play you have in theoutput shaft.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:26 PM
5.0 85 GT
3rd Gear Member

ok thank u...should i jsut get a thermostat form autozone? and ill check the teranny bushing liek u said..thanks for the help, fell free to add input!
Old 11-22-2007, 09:30 PM
5.0 85 GT
3rd Gear Member

also how much is the tranny seal job gonna cost? (estimate) i will have it professionally done at a shop..just if u guys knew...
Old 11-22-2007, 09:34 PM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

It's not that hard of a job, less than an hour to do. I have no idea what shops are getting, I do all my own work. Autozone will be fine, that's what's in mine.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:43 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

maybe pick up a radiator cap too!!! if the pressure relief valve is bad not bleeding off pressure at the right psi it'll build and raise the boiling point temp of coolant and car could then overheat and puke it's guts everywhere...cheap easy try too!!!
Old 11-22-2007, 10:49 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

tailshaft seal is a cake job. Jack the car up, unbolt the 4 bolts from the driveshaft, pull the driveshaft out. Take the old seal out, put the new one in. Then put the driveshaft back in & put the 4 bolts back in.

Make very sure you put some trans fluid or grease on the driveshaft yoke & the seal before putting the driveshaft in. If you don't, you'll probably damage the seal from lack of lubrication. The only tools you should need are a 12mm 12point wrench & maybe a screwdriver to get the old seal out. (pry around the outside of the seal) Maybe a small hammer to gently tap the new seal in.

I'd say the overheating is probably from the thermostat. Fan could also cause that. Got a fan shroud on it?
Old 11-22-2007, 10:52 PM
Dave5point0
2nd Gear Member

Yea, check the cap and thermostat..... good to here that you were keeping up with an f-body, no offence but i'm guessing he couldn't drive very well or it was a v6(lol), i'm not sh*t talking, i just know that those cars are typically damm fast, my first 5.go had problems with alot of f-body cars. I ran a 11.54 once in perfect conditions but normally a 12 car for sure, and there were many t/a's and maro's that had a bit of work and would run me down if i had street tires with a-hella a-lotta spin, good to here you ran with him though
Old 11-22-2007, 11:05 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dave5point0
Yea, check the cap and thermostat..... good to here that you were keeping up with an f-body, no offence but i'm guessing he couldn't drive very well or it was a v6(lol), i'm not sh*t talking, i just know that those cars are typically damm fast, my first 5.go had problems with alot of f-body cars. I ran a 11.54 once in perfect conditions but normally a 12 car for sure, and there were many t/a's and maro's that had a bit of work and would run me down if i had street tires with a-hella a-lotta spin, good to here you ran with him though
Guess it depends on what's done to them. There's an lt1 '93 camaro around here with just exhaust that got beat by a cavalier. Engine was in pretty good shape too. Guy sold his car & upgraded to an ls1 camaro
Old 11-23-2007, 12:24 AM
Dave5point0
2nd Gear Member

^^^lol, any 300+ c.i. car that is beat by a crapilier needs to be sold a.s.a.p. I'm sure that most of the cars that were giving me trouble were heavy on the mods because i lived less then 5 miles away from F.L.P. (finish line performance outside chicago) which i believe is top 10 in the country for tuning f-bodies, so i was getting shafted because i would be on my way home from work on street tires and without my timing way retarded, and a recently tuned f-body that just got 5g's dumped into it would be on its way towards the highway to go home and they decided to phuk with me and feel good about themself.

hey foxgt, you ever get your car back together after that ditch jumped out infront of you?????

Quick Reply: Listen to this GUYS!!!!