5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

65mm throttle body Up grade??

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 03:02 AM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 65mm throttle body Up grade??

The Editor-In-Chier of "5.0 Mustang and Super Fords" Steve Turner disagrees with you Jasperstang308, could you point out where exactly you disagree with him..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0760...51983-9707811#

Steve Turners book, page 26

...installing too large an oversized throttle body can hurt performance, particularluy torque
...this is mostly true regarding (page 27) naturally aspirated 5.0's.... torque loss
...tb shouldnt be larger than your maf... you want to create a funnel for the air...

[IMG]local://upfiles/84695/DAC7EE0E5E254B019534F628A9093669.gif[/IMG]

we had this discussion before but you didnt reply to this info, Im curious as to what you have to say regarding the article cited.
Of course "on paper" concepts dont fly 100% of the time in real world and I have no doubt to your experiance with the seemingly (on paper) mismatched components working well, and I love the type of engineering spirit that you try something, make it work and make it work well, that is the pioneering spirit of America after all!
However I think we are going for the rule here, not the exception. We want to discuss and generate an answer that will be correct most of the time: what components match a config: when & why.....
Old 11-23-2007, 03:14 AM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nacanitihs
actually i believe jthorn is correct. you lose air velocity if you have a TB thats too large and an engine that doesnt demand that amount of air. a 65mm will be a good upgrade for a stock engine w/ minor bolt ons
jasper do you have any support for your answer?
I agree with the concept of keeping velocity up. Esp in a restrictive-design case...stock mild modify. Iskys 5th cycle, scavenging concept. You want funnels like so
>-<
on 5.0 it goes: From large--The world, air filter, MAF, TB, intake, (smallest here)heads, <ign event>(gasses expand now getting larger)headers, collecters, exh system, world
As always you want to try to match components to make an optimized system.
WE were talking about this issue here
https://mustangforums.com/m_4200328/tm.htm

It made me think of an article I read a few years ago and promped me to remember what it was exactly:
"Cam Truth by Buddy Rawls"
http://www.wighat.com/fcr3/camtruth.htm
Old 11-23-2007, 03:16 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

yea you mentioned that from another thread. 2 of the quotes above are direct quotes from jay. i will let you know when i actually do it myself. it should be a little after christmas.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:55 AM
5spd GT
3rd Gear Member

Buddy Rawls knows what he is talking about.

A 75mm TB is a waste of money on a h/c/i car.

Think of popular intakes. Think how the Holley Systemax necks down to 65mm a few inches in it's "75mm opening". Makes you wonder how you are going to gain

Be careful on what a bigger throttle body gives you.

Some call it:

...More throttle response

Some call it:

...Touchy throttle in part throttle situations.

Many forget where the "bigger is better" throttle body theory is coming from.

It comes from those that live at the drag strip, not on the street.

I haveNEVER seen a real gain from a 75mm TB on a h/c/i car.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:05 PM
5spd GT
3rd Gear Member

Show me a 302 that can flow 700 cfm

Because that is what a typical 75mm TB flows.

If you have a throttle body that flows 100% of the engine's capabilities at 60% opening, you lose throttle control advantage.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:34 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

5spd i believe you know where i got my info from if you want the link i will send it to you. i know the comment that i quoted from joel was on a completely stock car and it actually benefited from the 80mm tb

so its up to you guys. you can either stick with what has been told or try something different. i personally am going to be different. i am picking up a stock 302 this weekend. it needs a few things. but I will buy the parts needed to put it together and will put on a larger tb and bigger induction so we can test this theory

what do you say?
Old 11-23-2007, 05:07 PM
URLACHER54
2nd Gear Member

so i have a 70mm throttle body on mine and i still have stock heads, intake etc, so is thi hurting me or not
Old 11-23-2007, 05:28 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

depends on who you ask
Old 11-23-2007, 05:36 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL:
what do you say?
Its def a good thing when the concenses is proved wrong, in this way the concenses can be adjusted to reflect the correct answer!
Hmmmm thinking here, what would be the best way to prove your results? Dyno comes to mind but can it measure from off idle -> on?
Perhaps at the track you can make 2 runs, change the TB then make 2 more runs and look at your short times, this might be a bit better.

However, I believe that the crux of the question here is "how do I select the best TB for street+strip (mostly street) that flows the cfm's that my engine can demand also keeping supurb stoplight to stoplight driviablity:
(From stoplight to stoplight druning a commute to work on a conjested street, this indicates much activity "just" on the throttle, incrimental steps where the TB blade would spend time "just" cracked opened, a hair more, a hair less)

ORIGINAL:
what do you say?
Generally: Buy less cars from overseas companies, America!
ORIGINAL:
what do you say?
Specifically: Buy more mustangs, everybody!
Old 11-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

is thi hurting me or not
ORIGINAL: Jasperstang308

depends on who you ask
haawwwwwww haaa haa!!!! Im glad that my engine doesn’t run well or poorly based on somebody’s opinion!
[sm=massbounce.gif]

Quick Reply: 65mm throttle body Up grade??