5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Timing chain gearset questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 07:52 PM
wolverine8490
3rd Gear Member

Default Timing chain gearset questions

So,

I got a timing chain kit from trick flow with the H/C/I kit. In the instructions, it shows a few placs to line the crank gear up. Right now, I have the cam and the crank gears lined up with the O on the crank (circled in blue in the below picture). It also shows another spot to line it up (circled in red below). I guess my question is, should I line up blue or red with the camshaft sprocket?

[IMG]local://upfiles/70634/A04B8F6FA2F447248061A7ACBE19EF1E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-29-2007, 07:57 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Timing chain gearset questions

Line it up with the "O"... see pic below. And you DID use the tapered head screws for the cam thrust plate that they sent... right? The ones that require the thrust plate to be machined so the heads of the screws don't contact the brass ring that goes on the back of the cam sprocket. If you didn't... your gonna have problems.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:58 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

read the directions LOL. one is straight up, one is 4 deg. advanced, one is 4 deg. retarded.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:04 PM
wolverine8490
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: capri debris

Line it up with the "O"... and did you use the tapered head screws for the cam thrust plate that they sent? The ones that require the thrust plate to be machined so the heads of the screws don't contact the brass ring that goes on the back of the cam sprocket.
No, I did not have any clearence issues on my block. I guess I got lucky. I now that some people say they got lucky, and some did not. I guess I just dont understand what the mark circled in red is for.

ORIGINAL: my77stang

read the directions LOL. one is straight up, one is 4 deg. advanced, one is 4 deg. retarded.
I know that much, but in the pic it shows 4 marks. The directions suck, as I dont even see the mark circled in red on my gearset.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:06 PM
wolverine8490
3rd Gear Member

Right now I have mine lined up just like yours in the pic. I am just fighting low compression in all cylinders and vacuum issue. Some guys I know say it has to be valve timing. Maybe trick flow just sent me the wrong cam or something, I dont know.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:13 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

There is NO getting lucky... you MUST use the screws they provide!!! You just think there is no clearance issue, but what is happening is the head of the factory bolts are slowly chewing away at the brass collar that is installed behind the larger sprocket... and this is contaminating your oil with brass shavings... imbedding in your main and rod bearings. The pic below shows the correct way to install those taper head screws.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:29 PM
wolverine8490
3rd Gear Member

I guess another thing I dont understand, it the double roller that was on the car before the build, did not have the bronze washer installed. The only reason I put it on at all was because someone here mentioned to. But I have about 150 miles on the engine, and the washer does not appear to have taken any damage from not countersinking those bolts. Not saying it is right or wrong, just dont understand how it will damage it if it does not hit anything.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:42 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

The only way you got lucky with the bolts is if after tightening them they just happened to stop with the flats of the bolts in the "one in a million" place that they aren't hitting the brass collar. It's the points of the hex head bolts that stick down and rub the collar. And yes the collar is absolutely needed, it a bushingfor proper cam end play... you DID check that too, didn't you? And as far as the mark you are seeing on the instuction sheet, but not on the little sprocket... it's not there... on the sprocket I mean. TF made a type-o... I called them and they said to install it like my pic shows with the crank key and the dot on the big sprocket lined up. That is factory timing. If you look closely at the small sprocket and the relation of each keyway and the mark you are supposed to line up with the dot on the big sprocket, it will become obvious how they are getting +4 and -4 timing with them. If you had it installed like my pic shows, it was correct and if you are having vacuum problems... it's not because of that, it's something else.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:50 PM
wolverine8490
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: capri debris

The only way you got lucky with the bolts is if after tightening them they just happened to stop with the flats of the bolts in the "one in a million" place that they aren't hitting the brass collar. It's the points of the hex head bolts that stick down and rub the collar. And yes the collar is absolutely needed, it a bushingfor proper cam end play... you DID check that too, didn't you? And as far as the mark you are seeing on the instuction sheet, but not on the little sprocket... it's not there... on the sprocket I mean. TF made a type-o... I called them and they said to install it like my pic shows with the crank key and the dot on the big sprocket lined up. That is factory timing. If you look closely at the small sprocket and the relation of each keyway and the mark you are supposed to line up with the dot on the big sprocket, it will become obvious how they are getting +4 and -4 timing with them. If you had it installed like my pic shows, it was correct and if you are having vacuum problems... it's not because of that, it's something else.
Cool, thanks for the help. Thats some funny stuff about the typo.Mineisinstalled as seen in the pic above right now. I guess I will have the holes countersunk when I pull this thing all back apart. But I may just scrape the whole project and drop in a 351, as this pos is really starting to **** me off. As for measuring the end play, I plead the 5th.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:50 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

you guys are funny, cause my 40.00 cloyes double roller chain uses a ford upper gear and requires no machining and will last just as long as the TF chain

Quick Reply: Timing chain gearset questions