5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

oil/ps/trans coolers...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 09:40 AM
94RedDevil
2nd Gear Member

Default oil/ps/trans coolers...

I was actually pondering this for a while and i was wondering what the actual purpose of these are. I'm looking for a semi scientific explanation, not just 'cause' or 'makes more horses'. If i was to get one, what would be the most helpful of the 3, actually you can buy a radiator that has 2 inlets and 2 outlets for 2 fluids but which ones should i go with that would help the most? Thanks guys
Old 11-30-2007, 09:49 AM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: oil/ps/trans coolers...

I doubt you need any of those unless you do more high performance driving than normal driving. Keeping things cool is always a good thing though.

As far as scientific explanations, well I don't feel like looking anything up but I know that cooler is better with engines. The oil cooler most likely helps keep the oil from getting too thin (oil loses viscosity as it heats up)during racing by using a coolant line around the oil filter to help disperse some of the heat. The PS cooler probably helps keep the fluid cool since again during racing you are working the steering way more than in normal driving so the fluid may heat up more than normal which would cause it to expand more and possibly overflow if you have too much in there. Transmissions heat up with use especially autos, which often (if not always) come with a trans cooler from the factory. Too much heat there could probably cause the fluid to lose its lubricating effectiveness and possibly also cause the metal gears to expand and cause stress damage.

Assuming I'm fairly accurate most of the above is pretty much worst-case type stuff and most likely won't be a factor unless you do lots of racing or osme other sort of high-stress driving.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:46 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

trans cooler is the most beneficial of the three because heat is the biggest enemy of any auto tranny and to it's fluid...heat expecially excessive heat will break down the oils additive packages and cause oxidation which breaks down the oils ability to maintain it's lubricating properties effectively
Old 11-30-2007, 12:53 PM
94RedDevil
2nd Gear Member

so for a manual tranny, not neccessary?
Old 11-30-2007, 12:56 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

nope not needed...or really even possible on a t-5.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

yup you can keep your fluids from breaking down as soon as they would otherwise

Im going with (in my AT car):
Good radiator w/o the largely useless built in "trans cooler"
as large as trans cooler as i can fit in front of radiator (using the power steering bulk head fittings)
small power steering cooler (because I removed the stock one to use the bulk head fittings)
the SSP engine oil to engine coolant heat exchanger. Will keep heat more normalized, and with my upgraded engine coolant radiator will do some good.

some pics, the power steering cooler fit exactly when using the flex-a-lite 5.0 fan/shroud combo
http://www.thatmetalbox.com/Automotive/FoxCool//