5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Trouble Codes

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 12:18 PM
mustangmdr

Default Trouble Codes

I keep getting trouble codes for the ect,bp,tps,act sensors.I know there is nothing wrong with the tps or ect because they are new.I get these codes as soon as I turn the key to test it with the scan tool.I dont have to start it for these codes to come up and if I clear them, turn the key off then back on and scan it they are back on it. The ect code says its reading above 234 degrees orthe circuit is shorted to ground,what does shorted to ground mean? The rest of the codes are out of self test range or voltage codes for the other sensors.I have tried everything I even got a new computer with no luck of getting rid of these codes.Also another strange thing is that whenever I try to change the bp sensor with a new one it shorts the computer but if I leave the old sensor in it is fine,all it does with the old one is throw a code.What could be causing all of this? The car runs and drives ok but I know with these sensors not working it could be running better.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:38 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Trouble Codes

ORIGINAL: mustangmdr

I keep getting trouble codes for the ect,bp,tps,act sensors.I know there is nothing wrong with the tps or ect because they are new.I get these codes as soon as I turn the key to test it with the scan tool.I dont have to start it for these codes to come up and if I clear them, turn the key off then back on and scan it they are back on it. The ect code says its reading above 234 degrees orthe circuit is shorted to ground,what does shorted to ground mean? The rest of the codes are out of self test range or voltage codes for the other sensors.I have tried everything I even got a new computer with no luck of getting rid of these codes.Also another strange thing is that whenever I try to change the bp sensor with a new one it shorts the computer but if I leave the old sensor in it is fine,all it does with the old one is throw a code.What could be causing all of this? The car runs and drives ok but I know with these sensors not working it could be running better.
It means just that!!!......your ect sensor is a variable resistor so as temp of coolant goes up resistance readingof sensor goes down and as sensor cools resistance value goes up.....so if you want to peg your gauge to max then touch the single wire to a ground and it'll max the reading out......but this is not the ect sensor for the gauge..I'm just giving you an example.....youe ecm uses one for various fuel mixture calculations and other things and it's located in the front top of the coolant tube that runs along side the passanger valve cover... as for the other codes you'll need to find a troubleshooting guide for each specific code andtest for shorts and or broken wires...my guess is you have a short to ground in a VREF or power supply side of a circuit that shares a common power source with the other sensors