5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Pushing 300 horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 05:41 PM
moterhead
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Pushing 300 horsepower

ORIGINAL: TheHybrid

Right now I'm kinda confused with the lingo.. And weights... perhaps you could help me out

What is the difference between an LX and a GT?
What is the "notch"? Is that the convertible?

What is the weight difference (if any) between years and models of 5.0s.

I guess I could find this googling, but I gotta go to class real soon and I'm lazy.

Thanks
The difference between and LX and a GT? GTs in the years you are interested in, are all 5.0s. LXs had the 2.3 stock with the 5.0 as an option. If you bought a 2.3 LX, you got a pretty basic interior, but could upgrade it for more money. If a 5.0 LX you got the GT interior. Outside the difference is the GT's front end with fog lights and the side ground effects and different rear. I've owned an '87 GT (new) an '88 GT (hot rod) and a '93 LX. At first I liked the GT styling. Now I prefer the LX's more simple looks. What's a "notch"? That's the LX coupe or notchback, i.e. it has a trunk rather than being a hatchback. The notch will be the lightest body style, LX hatch next, GT hatch next, LX convert, then GT convert. I don't remember exact numbers. The LX notch was the cheapest body style, but now is the most sought after. How the worm turns!

[IMG]local://upfiles/81587/B82CFF8240BC4957876EB6961B16A7CA.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-04-2007, 07:09 PM
splash21
2nd Gear Member

if you are concerned about weight go for a notch. im not a huge fan of notches but they are lighter. i have a 84 hatch myself and love it. plus i find it easier to see around in traffic with the hatch.damn i widh i had 4k to drop into mods on my car right now lol
Old 12-04-2007, 07:17 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hamutoff

You can get tp that goal 300/300 crank by simply bolting on afr 165cc heads or TFS heads

No you can't

either number = fun in a light fox........
This, you can.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:43 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

the size of the pistons didn't change, in '93 they swapped the forged pistons for hypereutectic ones. The loss of power wasn't just in '93, it was gradual since '87. little things that only resulted in a loss of a couple hp added up, things like the maf screen blocking flow a little bit. If i recall right they changed the cam in either '88 or '89, don't quote me on that.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:33 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

The rating dropped down to 222, but was still recorded as 225. Indistinguishable difference
Old 12-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

[blockquote]
You can get tp that goal 300/300 crank by simply bolting on afr 165cc heads or TFS heads
[/blockquote]
ORIGINAL: LTnone
No you can't

So the builds that do this ...aren’t? they are faking numbers
what about carcrafts statement regarding afr 165 heads "The key to this remarkable achievement is simple: one awesome set of cylinder heads. Heads so good in fact, that they are worth about 100 hp over a set of stock 5.0L Mustang heads on their own. You read that right--100 horsepower. "
so stock 220 + 100 = 320hp? hmmmmm

ok so I am not %101 sure about the TFS..... but so many argue that they are just as good I tossed that in.
what about the carcraft article where they took an old *** 5.0 cleaned it up, afr 165 50 state legal heads, plopped a carb on it and got 400hp? really think a holley 4 barrel is worth a minimum of 100hp?
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...dup/index.html
What about the companies ad that states "bolt on 75 hp" surely you would not argue over +-5hp?

how about this article where they get +80hp on their stock (but 1993 cobra) engine, isnt that the computer with the slightly retarded tuning, but larter 24^injectors?
http://airflowresearch.com/articles/article051/A-P1.htm

contradictions with no backup make for a poor readat least... explain yourself sir
Old 12-04-2007, 11:42 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

My mind was still in whp, my bad. That's what happens when you type essays for 5 days straight. I'd still say you're probably going to see a little less, as tests such as those are done in extremely favorable conditions (though I'd trust carcraft's tests over any part mfr. anyday), but not enough to make a difference. Answer is yes, some heads can do around 300 crank. That's still usually pretty generous though. Heck a modified 355 (chevy) only made 40 more at the wheels with the addition of some tw's
Old 12-05-2007, 02:38 AM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

300 crank. That's still usually pretty generous though.
yup! esp 'cause most high miliage engines still running & installed are full of guck and gooooooooo

My mind was still in whp, my bad. That's what happens when you type essays for 5 days straight.
ha ha haaaa! step away from the computer... just step away sir its for your own good
Old 12-05-2007, 03:17 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

So the builds that do this ...aren’t? they are faking numbers
what about carcrafts statement regarding afr 165 heads "The key to this remarkable achievement is simple: one awesome set of cylinder heads. Heads so good in fact, that they are worth about 100 hp over a set of stock 5.0L Mustang heads on their own. You read that right--100 horsepower. "
so stock 220 + 100 = 320hp? hmmmmm

ok so I am not %101 sure about the TFS..... but so many argue that they are just as good I tossed that in.
what about the carcraft article where they took an old *** 5.0 cleaned it up, afr 165 50 state legal heads, plopped a carb on it and got 400hp? really think a holley 4 barrel is worth a minimum of 100hp?
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...dup/index.html
What about the companies ad that states "bolt on 75 hp" surely you would not argue over +-5hp?

how about this article where they get +80hp on their stock (but 1993 cobra) engine, isnt that the computer with the slightly retarded tuning, but larter 24^injectors?
http://airflowresearch.com/articles/article051/A-P1.htm

contradictions with no backup make for a poor readat least... explain yourself sir
HP gains are going to be different for every engine depending on what's done. For example... say you change the intake manifold, exhaust, & cam first then change the heads after all is done. Because the heads are restricting the flow horribly you may see a huge gain out of it. If the car was producing 280hp in the first place with the stock heads, but the intake/cam/exhaust are changed. Changing your heads may give you 100hp. so say you're at a total of 380 with all parts. If you did it the other way around & changed the heads first you may only see a gain of 60-70hp due to the intake runners being too small to allow a huge gain from the heads. then you change the cam & exhaust... now your intake manfold is a huge restriction so when you change your intake it's going to make a very big difference.

An easy way to think about it is imagine you got to 500hp with the stock intake manifold. changing one on a stock engine may give you like 20hp, but if that's the last component you haven't changed on a 500hp car, changing it may give you 50-60hp.

The problem with almost all the tests out there is they're not done to a stock mustang. Most are done to a car that has at least 2 things done to it, exhaust, intake, throttle body. things like that.

If you look in that test from stock in stage... 225/300
------------------------
cylinder hone
Weiand Stealth dual-plane intake
four-barrel carburetor.
278 hp at 5,200 rpm and 315 lb-ft of torque at 4,100
------------------------
tri-y headers
afr heads
Road Demon Jr. 625-cfm carb
382 hp at 6,000 rpm and 368 lb-ft of torque at 4,200
------------------------
To get to the 400hp mark hey added some 1.7 roller rockers. Granted it's on a stock cam you are changing total lift quite a bit. changing to roller rockers alone will free up a bit of power in itself.

400hp from altering intake, head, cam lift, & exhaust.

but you can't really compare gains on a stock engine with gains like shown in most magazines, chances are they didn't do it on a stock engine & it wouldn't be nearly as high of a gain on a stocker. Car craft even said it themselves in that article.

"Rather than choke the heads with the stock exhaust manifolds, we stepped up to a pair of Doug's Headers stepped Tri-Y headers designed to fit a '60-'65 Ford Falcon, the car we eventually plan to swap this engine into. Previous testing has shown this design, which incorporates stepped 1-5/8-to-1-3/4-inch primary tubes, to be fully equal to, if not slightly better than, traditional four-into-one long-tube headers."

My hat's off to afr, they do make some damn good heads, just don't expect to see the gains they see from doing nothing other than changing the heads alone on a stock engine. Alot of us can't afford to change 4 things at once... well unless you're the type of person that waits till you have alot of pieces bought before putting them all on. I put things on as soon as i get them. hell, I tore my engine down just to put in some head studs as soon as I got them [8D] But I dont mind doing stuff like that if there's nothing to do & i'll be bored for a day.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:35 AM
gambit90lx
2nd Gear Member

i have 293 rwhp and 324 tq (never have got to run it though so i dont now any times)....i also have a 125 wet shot on mine as well but have never sprayed it yet.... dont know what i would be pushing with the nitrous....

Quick Reply: Pushing 300 horsepower