5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How bad did i mess up??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 01:19 PM
jeffro22
1st Gear Member

Default How bad did i mess up??

trying to do a simple job and it has turned bad. i was replacing the header gaskets on my 94 cobra. Well, Mac headers are nice when they are new but the pOS design lets them warp and when I removed them from the heads they woudln't line up again. I ended up messing the thread up on my AFR 165 heads (drivers side closest to firewall)The header bolt wasn't staright and i turned it maybe a trun and it got tight. So the thread is messed up now. How hard is it to repair this thread on the alluminum head/
Old 12-05-2007, 01:45 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Default RE: How bad did i mess up??

Not hard at all after you tear down the whole engine to get the head off.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:04 PM
jeffro22
1st Gear Member

can't it be tapped or repaired while still on the car. With the headers off it looks like there is enough room to get to it???
Old 12-05-2007, 02:11 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

remove the header completely. go to autozone and buy a thread repair dye for 5 bucks at the proper size, rethread the hole and your done.

i had to do this time mine couple weeks ago, the thread as always kind of messed up but it finally cross threaded so i decided to fix it.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:25 PM
ACE
4th Gear Member

My heads effed up my header bolts not the threads when I put my gaskets on. Horray for 69 Cast Iron!! haha
Old 12-05-2007, 03:33 PM
moterhead
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FivePointOhh

remove the header completely. go to autozone and buy a thread repair dye for 5 bucks at the proper size, rethread the hole and your done.

i had to do this time mine couple weeks ago, the thread as always kind of messed up but it finally cross threaded so i decided to fix it.

It's not "dye". That what ladies use to change the color of cloth. It's die, except a die is not what he needs. A die is for cutting threads on the outside. A tap is what cuts internal threads. They are called TAP AND DIE sets. I've never done that exact job, so don't know if it's SAE or metric thread. Suspect it to be metric. Take one of your header bolts with you. It's surely worth a try to see if the retapping can be done with the head on the engine. fivepointohh says you can. You might want to tape over the nearby port to keeps your metal pieces out. Good luck with it. I know how your feel!
Old 12-06-2007, 01:14 PM
rover420

Or u can always go the roughneck way just drill out ur manifold holes out a little bit and tap one size up or go metric or imperial up which ever it is. You Probably won't even have to take the heads off i did on my old chevy block once b4 but it was for a diffrent thread. well if there aluminium heads that is, if they're iron have fun.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:31 PM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

I would think you would be able to do it with the heads on, there is actually quite a bit of room in there

I have the same problem with one of my header bolts I was waiting until the spring to fix it, let me know if you do it that way and have any tips[8D]
Old 12-06-2007, 07:37 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

I agree with Motorhead on this deal.
Head needs to come off the car as ANY drilling/tapping needs to be perfectely plumb....
Old 12-06-2007, 10:12 PM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

I would at least try to chase the threads before you go taking the heads off. Take the header completely off andget a 3/8"-16 tap or you can buy what is called thread chasers. Be very careful and take your time putting the tap or chaserin the hole. Turn it in a half turn or so and then back it back out. Keep doing this until you get it all the way in and hit bottom. Don't force it and try to keep it as straight as possible. If you mess it up worse, then you will have to take the head off and put a heli-coil in it. Finesse is the key here.Good luck.

Quick Reply: How bad did i mess up??