5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

stock cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 05:13 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Default RE: stock cam

They should be fine for a 302, to get max power out of the 331 though u may want to consider larger heads.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:54 PM
50Stocker
2nd Gear Member

That car craft article was very impressive. Put they went with a carb and obviously an intake that we can't use. Any one running just the heads and rockers on EFI? What intake manifold do you guys think would match up best with this? I'd be really nice to spend $1,400 on the heads, change out the rockers and put a new intake on and forget about the rest and any other idle issues and headaches that may come up with switching anything else up.

I know rockers avg around $200, but I have seen comp cams has some for around $400, anyone know how much the ones in the article went for? Thanks.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:30 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

I don't know what to believe when I read these articles anymore. The Car Craft article was great, and had me pumped up looking forward to similar numbers until today. Today I picked up a 5.0 rag from the news stand, and they had an article on the Patriot heads on a 140,000 mile stock block 5.0. They installed the heads with new FRPP roller rockers, a steeda #18 cam, 75mm MAF and 70mm TB. After some tuning, it dyno'd at 302hp & 344 torque at the wheels. Not bad numbers, but not near the numbers in the Car Craft article. Are the AFR heads that much better?
Old 12-11-2007, 08:33 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FLcracker9

I don't know what to believe when I read these articles anymore. The Car Craft article was great, and had me pumped up looking forward to similar numbers until today. Today I picked up a 5.0 rag from the news stand, and they had an article on the Patriot heads on a 140,000 mile stock block 5.0. They installed the heads with new FRPP roller rockers, a steeda #18 cam, 75mm MAF and 70mm TB. After some tuning, it dyno'd at 302hp & 344 torque at the wheels. Not bad numbers, but not near the numbers in the Car Craft article. Are the AFR heads that much better?
We'll find out in the spring when my setup is tuned
Old 12-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

I can only comment on what I have read but I think that carbed applications make more power then EFI cars. Lords knows if I am wrong someone will tell me....
Old 12-11-2007, 08:41 PM
50Stocker
2nd Gear Member

FLcracker9: I hear ya on the magazines, as they are all over the place. The Car Craft article had me so excited that I forgot that on EFI you will still need to throw some decent money down on a larger throttle body, egr spacer, larger injectors as well. There is around another good $450 right there-and I'm pretty sure they used the high end comp rockers as well.

1400 heads
450 upgrades in injectors, throttle body, egr plate
And that's w/o touching the manifold, another $500 right there...

already that's comparable to some top end kits out there with gaskets, rockers, timing chains, valve covers, supporting hardware, a cam etc. Is the power better with the AFR's, I hope so at that price!

Oh, and I hope Onyx hits that 400 mark! Sounds like it should!
Old 12-12-2007, 04:02 PM
my77project
1st Gear Member

Yo, this is in the vein of this conversation, but a bit different. I've got a 302 in my 77, which needs major rebuild. but it came with edelbrock 60 cc performer heads, performer intake, holley 4 barrel carb, roller rockers, etc. I'm thinkin it may be cheaper for me to just buy a new engine than remachine it. I'm lookin at a 5.0 out of an 88 that I could get cheap. my question...I have a few of them. :-)

1. Can I use my heads/intake/carb set up on this 5.0,
2. how do I test for valve clearance.
3. Can I just pull out a ruller and measure to see what ratio my rockers are, or is there some trick?
4. are bearings interchangable between these engines. (my trashed engine actually has a new set of bearings in it..believe it or not. :-P)
5. if I use the 88 5.0 w/ a carb set up as described above, and dual exhaust. (stock, not headers) how much HP can I reasonably expect. And also, how much more could I expect with headers. :-)

Thanks for your help with any/all of these questions. I'm learnin as I go along.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:38 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL:
1. Can I use my heads/intake/carb set up on this 5.0,
2. how do I test for valve clearance.
3. Can I just pull out a ruller and measure to see what ratio my rockers are, or is there some trick?
4. are bearings interchangable between these engines. (my trashed engine actually has a new set of bearings in it..believe it or not. :-P)
5. if I use the 88 5.0 w/ a carb set up as described above, and dual exhaust. (stock, not headers) how much HP can I reasonably expect. And also, how much more could I expect with headers. :-)
Answers:

1. Yes
2. Modeling clay on the piston, bolt the head down with a gasket, turn the motor over by hand (as long as it doesn't bind, take the head off and slice the clay perpendicular to the valve indentation and measure the thinest part of the clay at the indentation. Or, there is a procedureto do it with the head on usinga dial indicator.
3. I don't have a clue
4. Probablynot.You would needto have a machine shop measure the crank,and get the proper sizebearings
5. My guess would be somewhere around 175 - 200hp (I may be off on this one, but some one will correct me), headers would add maybe 5 - 10hp
Old 12-12-2007, 07:42 PM
my77project
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input. but that hp estimate seems too low to me. Stock the motor has 205 hp I bleive...there's no way my hp is going to drop by switching to carb set up and adding heads/intake/4bl carb etc. That doesn't seem right to me. Thanks though. :-)
Old 12-12-2007, 07:45 PM
my77project
1st Gear Member

clarrification: edelbrock performer heads, 170cc intake, 2.02/1.6 valves...least somethin like that...I can't remember exactly off the top of my head.

Quick Reply: stock cam