5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Looking To Get A 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 03:22 AM
87 hatch
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Looking To Get A 5.0

im 23 yrs old and just bought my first 1987 5.0 gt hatchback. i was looking for the perfect one but i could not find it. all of the sudden one day i saw a small add in the recycler, when i saw it i new that was the one. i think that if you were to spend about 7k you should be getting the top of the line. i only spent 1500 for a car that could have easily sold for 3500 had the people known what they were selling. it ran and had a straight body. i have had it for about 3 weeks and it has been in my garage just getting new things thrown on it.

bottom line, ive looked at alot of them from about 1500 all the way up to 15000 and if you were to spend about 7000 you should be getting something that has all new stuff and in primo condition that will last you longer than 3-4 yrs.

also, dont pay attention to kelly blue book. with these 5.0's the prices seem to be alot more than what the book says.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:25 AM
MTE50

Hmm specific problems, one was a problem with a speedo that kept on making noises.

Some other person said they had to replace the gas tank (more than once) ????

Then I come across this next comment and I read this I was like, so this is why women arent supposed to drive:

"The GT we had was an automatic transmission- which made this car a lot less fun to drive. Combined with a rear wheel drive and a lot of power, it was almost impossible to control in bad weather. Even on plowed streets, the 'Stang had trouble getting up moderate hills. Compared to my cars (89 Toyota Celica GT, 90 Ford Probe GT), there was a significant decrease in the amount of control, even in the rain. I've done donuts across 4-lane highways going 10 miles per hour in the Mustang. It's not an experience I'd care to repeat."

That same lady said the fuel pump died 3 times, I've never heard of a fuel pump that bad in my life, especially if it is replaced.

???

Hmm what else, one person said he had to rebuld his trans, but thats expected on an older car.

I also read a couple instances where people reported problems with power windows.

That's all I remember from reading the reviews.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:33 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

aliate that is cool i bought my 88 i was the 3rd owner it was wrecked front and rear then i toalted it
Old 03-14-2005, 03:48 AM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: MTE50

Hmm specific problems, one was a problem with a speedo that kept on making noises.

Then I come across this next comment and I read this I was like, so this is why women arent supposed to drive:

"The GT we had was an automatic transmission- which made this car a lot less fun to drive. Combined with a rear wheel drive and a lot of power, it was almost impossible to control in bad weather. Even on plowed streets, the 'Stang had trouble getting up moderate hills. Compared to my cars (89 Toyota Celica GT, 90 Ford Probe GT), there was a significant decrease in the amount of control, even in the rain. I've done donuts across 4-lane highways going 10 miles per hour in the Mustang. It's not an experience I'd care to repeat."

That same lady said the fuel pump died 3 times, I've never heard of a fuel pump that bad in my life, especially if it is replaced.

???

Hmm what else, one person said he had to rebuld his trans, but thats expected on an older car.

I also read a couple instances where people reported problems with power windows.

Dude, you want a fast car, your going to have traction problems, If you want to be a ***** (not you, the reviewer) then get a ****ing civic. I cant stand when ppl complain about the mustang being RWD. Take a RWD car and a FWD car both with the same HP and launch them, see which wins. I drove my mustang through every single snow storm this year, ask sp3nis. It depends if you know how to drive or not. As for rain, youve got to be kidding me. To do donuts across the highway at 10mph, you would have to punch it so hard and cut the wheel. People have never heard of countersteer. The bottom line is, the 5.0 is just too much car for some ppl so they give it bad reviews.

No you cant pick the kids up from soccer practice. No you cant load it with crap and go hiking. No you cant pack all your buddies in and go to a party.

But you can have one mean *** car, that with about 1,000$ in mods, will eat up most cars on the road without a problem.

All these minor problems, no car that I know of can take a beating like a mustang. You can launch the god damn thing from 5k rpms on slicks with no problems. Try that on a GM or in your Probe GT. I beat the living crap out of my car, knowing that if it were another car, it wouldnt last 5 seconds of what the 5.0 can take, or any mustang for that matter.

A mustang is a specialized car, which some ppl do not take into account when reviewing cars.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:16 AM
Ezrider
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MTE50

???

that guys problem is he just dient know how to drive!
Old 03-14-2005, 10:09 AM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

i had 2 mustangs and loved them both and i wouldnt trade them for anything. I paid 3500 for my car and it was in almost mint condition too.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:47 AM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

bought mine from an old man it has every option possible and never been over like 2500 rpmlol, he had it since new only problem he drove it in winter and it was rusted to hell, so after all new body panels and new floor pans, shes mint!
Old 03-14-2005, 12:35 PM
HungLow5.0
2nd Gear Member

From what I have found about mustangs is the whole rumor that they are unreliable is a myth if you take care of it. Mine has 150,000 miles on it and it still runs 13s all day long. If you know how to take care of a car than don't worry about it. I'm 17 and love my 90LX and have never had major problems with it*knock on wood*. I would say get a 5.0, I'm gettin 26mpg and love it. Personally I think it is one of the best high schooler cars except when it snows.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:08 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aliate X

ORIGINAL: Tims 88GT

i would buy one completely stock that way you know it has never been raced or anything
I bought mine from an old man.

-Back seats never sat in
-Every option, including 5 spd
-Never burned out in (until now)
-All scheduled tune ups with proof

Paid 5800 for it, with an extra set of snow tires mounted on an extra pair of ponys

BONE stock, even had a brand new stock exhaust system.

Heh, its goign to be crazy when im done.
Yes, look for a completely stock 5.0... That is the way to go. The completely stock one's usually sell for a bit more because they are all original, and usually in good condition. Mine was:

Completely stock, Power everything even lumbar, Viper Alarm, Pioneer CD player/ all pioneer speakers, Engine oil changed every 3k miles by the same mechanic since brand new, bought from the original owner, back seats are like brand new, interior is mint accept for the normal wear and tear on the arm rests and ash tray door [:@] It is equiped with a 5 spd, and only 110k on the clock, 4700 bux and I drove it home.

Now it has 1.7 Roller rockers, trick flow intake, Cobra Clutch, FRPP 9mm wires, MSD TFI coil, 4.10 gears, and a few other little things, and just rolled over 119,000 miles, Runs like a champ.. Take care of it with its normal maintenance, plugs, wires, fuel filter, air cleaner, oil and filter, and it will last you a LOOOONNNGGG time before needing a rebuild. 3-4 years? Mine is going to be with me forever!
Old 03-14-2005, 01:09 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

they can last a long time i have heard of some lasting 300,000+ miles

Quick Reply: Looking To Get A 5.0