5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

short throw install question

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 11:23 AM
neutralpinned
1st Gear Member

Default short throw install question

PRO50SC has a great article in the tech articles section about a short throw shifter install. I just simple question about the shift stops, what do they do? what does mis-adjusting them hurt? can they be mis-adjusted? this is my first install on one of these. sorry if this gets posted a lot, i searched but didnt come up with anything. thanks all
Old 12-14-2007, 12:03 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: short throw install question

the shift stops just keep the shifter from going too far and hurting the tranny but as far as i know the transmissions in our cars have internal stops so the ones in a new shifter aren't needed. i adjusted mine anyway just to be on the safe side by following the instructions that came with my shifter. when you install a shifter it is easier to see what the stops do and how to adjust them.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:31 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: 90lxstang

the shift stops just keep the shifter from going too far and hurting the tranny but as far as i know the transmissions in our cars have internal stops so the ones in a new shifter aren't needed. i adjusted mine anyway just to be on the safe side by following the instructions that came with my shifter. when you install a shifter it is easier to see what the stops do and how to adjust them.
Correct. They aren't needed but if it makes you feel better. Adjuted them so they are just touching the shifter, then back them out a full turn. Lock them down, done!
Old 12-14-2007, 01:47 PM
93_five_oh
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

ORIGINAL: 90lxstang

Correct. They aren't needed but if it makes you feel better. Adjuted them so they are just touching the shifter, then back them out a full turn. Lock them down, done!
make sure the shifter is in gear when you adjust them... should be common sense, but you never know.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:34 PM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

I thought it was supposed to stop the shifter earlier so you don't hurt the internal stops and ultimatly the transmission
Old 12-14-2007, 04:14 PM
neutralpinned
1st Gear Member

awesome, thats exactly what I needed as far as info, PRO50. thanks for the article and the help!
Old 12-14-2007, 06:54 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Anytime but I believe the credit for the article goes to wildsurfer92
Old 12-14-2007, 06:59 PM
neutralpinned
1st Gear Member

unfortunately i was thinking about it lol and i got a new questions for ya. When you say "back it out a full turn" do you mean back it out from the head side of the bolt so that it gets closer to the shifter rod as you turn or back it out from the outside so it gets further away as you turn? Is it designed so that it contacts the bolt before it slams the tranny insides, or is it first supposed to contact the tranny insides and the bolt is only an over-extension precausionary measure? i probably worded this terribly wrong but i hope someone gets the point.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:38 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

keepd you from bending the shift forks inside the tranny which is one of the leading causes of t5 transmission failure
Old 12-14-2007, 09:57 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

No, you want to back it away from the shifter, not move it closer. Basically you want to have about a 1/16-1/8" of space between the shifter and the stops.

Quick Reply: short throw install question