5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

still heating issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 01:59 PM
brandon_g
1st Gear Member

Default still heating issues

Hey so I changed the t stat in my car and its still only blowing out luke warm.I ave been doing alot of research it seems maybe the heater core is plugged?Its just really hard because I live in ma and its freeing going into work every morning.I dont know what else to try.I looked at all vaccum lines.Ones going in the engine from firewall,ones going from firewall to engine area.I dont know what else to try?
Old 12-14-2007, 02:31 PM
89stanglx
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: still heating issues

What is the tempetature of the coolant, if its not running warm enough block off part of the radiator during winter months. If you think the heater core is plugged carefully disconnect the lines and flush it both directions with a garden hose. Or check the cable for the temperature lever and make sure your damper works.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:03 PM
brandon_g
1st Gear Member

I think its plugged.The temp of the coolant does get hot.I put a 195 t stat in.So I take those 2 back hoses off and do what?Run it into the both lines going into the firewall?Thanks.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:55 PM
brandon_g
1st Gear Member

anyone?
Old 12-14-2007, 09:35 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: 89stanglx

What is the tempetature of the coolant, if its not running warm enough block off part of the radiator during winter months. If you think the heater core is plugged carefully disconnect the lines and flush it both directions with a garden hose. Or check the cable for the temperature lever and make sure your damper works.
[&:]....you shouldn't have to do that unless you live in subzero temps..and I doubt you do so why not fix the problem......I would check the operation of the blend door cable and make sure the cable hasn;t popped out of the holder and that the blend doors range of motion is working from a fully closed to open position.....remove the master panel and trace the cables orgin and watch to see how it operates as you move the controls......your heater core may be restricted but feel the inlet and outlet hoses ..if they are about the same temp then It probably isn't a restriction in the core and more so the operation of the blend door
Old 12-14-2007, 10:54 PM
brandon_g
1st Gear Member

ive pulled out the heating controls and saw the cable that controls the temp.it worked fine it turned and the cable was still attached.It lead into some box and it turned a little **** or hook and it turned fine.So I dunno.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:02 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

are you sure that the blend door is moving it's full range in the box????....also if leaves and crap have worked themselves into the heater box and are restricting flow across the core the air won't feel as warm too..........did you feel the inlet vs the outlet hose coming out of the fire wall...they should be relatively warm/hot/ close to engine operating temp
Old 12-14-2007, 11:03 PM
brandon_g
1st Gear Member

yes Ive felt them when the engine was hot.It seemed they could be warmer and 1 is always it seems a little warmer than the other.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:09 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

the outlet will be a little cooler because as the coolant passes through the core heat is removed from the coolant via the core and the air passing accross the core removes the heat from the core fins and hence you get warm air blasting in the face
Old 12-14-2007, 11:13 PM
brandon_g
1st Gear Member

yes but Im missing that[:@] Also the flow is very poor.Like when its on full blast on vents or any setting it does not have alot coming out.would this be a sympton of bad heater core as well?And if I just decide to do the heater core is it a hard job?thanks.

Quick Reply: still heating issues