5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Fixing a rear bumper Updated w/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 09:47 AM
3stangs
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Fixing a rear bumper

can you buy marglass at auto parts stores
Old 12-16-2007, 09:54 AM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 3stangs

can you buy marglass at auto parts stores
Good question, I am begining to think it may be best to just replace it since I have zero skills in the auto body department.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:00 AM
3stangs
2nd Gear Member

If you lived in south carolina I would throw you a little money on it to help you replace the old one plus so I could try to fix the old one for my car. lol
Old 12-16-2007, 10:01 AM
3stangs
2nd Gear Member

is the bumper fiberglass??
Old 12-16-2007, 10:16 AM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 3stangs

is the bumper fiberglass??
I am not sure, I think it is, how can I tell? I am in Ga, if I buy a new one I am just going to throw this one away. It will be a bit before I can buy a new one, but I am going to remove it from the car today or tomorrow no matter what I do.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:30 AM
hatchdemon89
3rd Gear Member

I would use fiberglass hair bihind the bumper so stiffness so when u mold the front with body filler it wont crack later on down the line its a easy fix
Old 12-16-2007, 12:09 PM
fourfivefour
3rd Gear Member

The bumper cover does not appear to be fiberglass. So fiberglass will not fix it or even stick to it.
If you want to repair it, I would first start by gluing (3M Flexible Parts Repair)andriveting a backer strip (sheetmetal or aluminum)behind the crack to support it and hold it in place. Clean and rough up the area and the backer stripso it adheres to it. Once the 3M has cured you can remove the rivets and melt the holes closed.Remove the paint around the crack and use a soldering gun, soldering iron, or plastic welderand melt the crack back together.Smooth out and rough uptheaffected area so thereare no high spots. Use3M Flexible PartsRepair to fill and smooth the area. Sand everything smooth and refinish.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:50 PM
50Stocker
2nd Gear Member

Well, if I wrote that estimate for a shop or insurance company, I would write it for replacement because it is a very large crack and the bumper is seperated. Most shops wouldn't wouldn't wantto fix that because they all have warranty standards on their repairs now, but if you explain to them it is for a hobby car and your going out of pocket then they would probably be wiling to give it a shot. If I wrote that estimate, I would ask for at least four hours of justphysical repair at ($44 an hour here), that's not including the paint and clear, or remove andinstall (which you can save moneyas you are doing yourself). The good thing about having it repaired is they SHOULD charge you less to paint it b/c they don't have to basecoat the whole bumper again, just reclear the whole thing.

BasicallyI would talk to a couple of shops, or here is another option that might be worth looking in to. http://www.keystone-auto.com/bodyshops/index.html#. Look on this website forKeystone (they provide a ton of parts and services to shops and insurance companies)and see if they have a location in your area, you can even watch a litle video of the plastic repair process etc. I have been to one of their facilities before, but it didn't look this good! Haha. They usually charge $179 for doing a RECON, but then again you are going to have to paint the whole bumper again, but at least you keep your Cervini.

Marglass is strong, but plastic welding is preferred. Basically the generic version is the green can of Bondo that you see in the stores that says it's for boat fiberglass repairs etc. The down side of doing that versus plastic welding is that is you ever get bumped in a parking lot of something, it has a better chance of poping out/the damage resurfacing.

The bumper should be urethane. Good luck.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:16 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Here is an even better pic, I took the bumper off already because you could not see how bad it really was. Hopefully this is a better pic of the complete damage. Thanks for all the help. I think it is pretty bad, and for the price for a design concepts one I may be better off.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:37 PM
fourfivefour
3rd Gear Member

I did not realize it was that bad. It's trashed!
For now drill some holes along the crack and stitch it together with zip ties til you can get a replacement.

Quick Reply: Fixing a rear bumper Updated w/ Pics