5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

On Fuel Injectors, what does the lbs/hr mean?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 10:04 PM
87 hatch
2nd Gear Member

Default On Fuel Injectors, what does the lbs/hr mean?

i dont under stand what the rating on fuel injectors means. also, what is the rating on stock 1987 gt injectors?
Old 03-14-2005, 10:08 PM
Djs94stang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: On Fuel Injectors, what does the lbs/hr mean?

It is the rating of fuel flow in lb/hr. The larger the injector the more fuel it will flow. I think the stock injectors are somewhere around 14 lb/hr.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:22 PM
87 hatch
2nd Gear Member

so why and when would i need to upgrade my fuel injectors.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:29 PM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 87 hatch

stock injectors are 19 lb/hr. you will need to upgrade them to supply the engine with more fuel if your making a lot of power. usually stock injectors reach 100% duty cycle at around 300 HP. you can compensate for this like i did by getting an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to bump the pressure up a little to make the stock injectors perform like 20-22 lb/hr ones. you dont want to run to much pwoer on small injectors though because that can cause a lean condition which leads to pre-ignition. good luck.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:46 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

Rule of Thumb I have used is (injector size multiplied by number of cylinders multiplied by 2) gives max HP for injectors. 19 X 8 X 2 = 304
Old 03-15-2005, 12:35 AM
fats429
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: angcobra

Rule of Thumb I have used is (injector size multiplied by number of cylinders multiplied by 2) gives max HP for injectors. 19 X 8 X 2 = 304

YES

REMEBER A POUND THAT THEY TALK ABOUT IS A METRIC FLUID MESSUREMENT

pounds are to gallons what centimeters are to inches
Old 03-15-2005, 02:59 AM
tyybo
3rd Gear Member

wow debeck i think you should sell that in a book "how to modd a fox body" you could make a killin
Old 03-15-2005, 01:41 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fats429

WTF are you saying???

No way is a "POUND" metric fluid measurement. POUND is strictly an English measurement of weight or mass or force depending upon what is being measured. gallons is a measure of volume, not weight or mass or force. you can refer to the density of a liquid and talk about its weight in pounds per gallon however.

POUNDS/HOUR is a mass flow measurement of the fuel flow that the fuel injector is capable of delivering at the stock fuel pressure setting and a 90% duty cycle meaning they are open and flowing 90% of the time.

when you do chemical reactions like the combustion of a fuel/air mixture you use units of mass flow to calculate the quantities of both fuel and air necessary to carry out the reaction calculations which is what was done to develop the internal programming in the ECU for the fuel injection systems in use today.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:17 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Dbeck002

ORIGINAL: 87 hatch

stock injectors are 19 lb/hr. you will need to upgrade them to supply the engine with more fuel if your making a lot of power. usually stock injectors reach 100% duty cycle at around 300 HP. you can compensate for this like i did by getting an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to bump the pressure up a little to make the stock injectors perform like 20-22 lb/hr ones. you dont want to run to much pwoer on small injectors though because that can cause a lean condition which leads to pre-ignition. good luck.
actually no its 90% duty cycle at 304 hp and thats for NA engines, forced induction cars won't make it anywhere near 300 hp with 19#'ers. Also this assumes 39psi fuel pressure, more pressure would support more fuel like already said. The actual formula is injector flow X #of cylinders / BSFC X Injector Pulse Width % = flywheel hp supported... remembering that this is based on the fuel pressure the injectors were flow tested at. 304 hp for 19# injectors is on the assumption of .45 BSFC
Old 03-15-2005, 09:57 PM
fats429
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: roundman

ORIGINAL: fats429

WTF are you saying???

No way is a "POUND" metric fluid measurement. POUND is strictly an English measurement of weight or mass or force depending upon what is being measured. gallons is a measure of volume, not weight or mass or force. you can refer to the density of a liquid and talk about its weight in pounds per gallon however.

POUNDS/HOUR is a mass flow measurement of the fuel flow that the fuel injector is capable of delivering at the stock fuel pressure setting and a 90% duty cycle meaning they are open and flowing 90% of the time.

when you do chemical reactions like the combustion of a fuel/air mixture you use units of mass flow to calculate the quantities of both fuel and air necessary to carry out the reaction calculations which is what was done to develop the internal programming in the ECU for the fuel injection systems in use today.

look it up it is

went to buy a AC for my kids room about 5 years ago , did not know how they sized them up . they are sold by the BTU's did not know what that was either . I looked it up it was the amount of engenry it takes to change one POUND of watter 1 degre in one second thats a BTU . British Thermal Units . LOOK IT UP thats WTF I'm saying

It is a metric fulid messurement . Ford went metric in the 80's but the parts made by the U.A.W are still standert that is why you drive
5.0L insted of a 302 mustang a leater = 1000cc's look it up if it was standert or english as you call it, it would gallons per hour injectors

Quick Reply: On Fuel Injectors, what does the lbs/hr mean?