5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Speed density - 87 GT...MYSTERY PARTS!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 02:07 PM
87gt5o

Default Speed density - 87 GT...MYSTERY PARTS!!

I have an 87 GT, 5.0 with mods done by the previous owner. Mods are:

Trick Flow intake manifold
Shorty headers
3" exhaust - H pipe, Flowmaster 10 series with dumps right before the rear axle
MSD blaster coil
Ford Racing sparkplug wires
70mm throttle body
Cold air intake
Underdrive pulleys
A/C delete kit
Adjustable FPR
Steeda tri ax short shifter
Centerforce clutch
Ford racing injectors

I am not sure what to look for on this motor, but I have noticed there is no O2 sensor?? I've looked on the headers and through all the piping and did not see one. But on the passengers side of the motor, right near the firewall there is a plug about the size of an O2 sensor. It is connected to the wiring harness, but it has a capped off end...doesn't go to anything. Not sure what it is. Very strange. Also, there is a black box below the coolant overflow with a single "vacuum line" coming off of it. The line is cut, and pulls no vacuum. Seems like the box is useless or was part of emissions equipment that was blocked off. Not sure.

Also, there is something connected to the back of the throttle body. I'm wanting to say it is the EGR valve, but it isn't connected to anything at all. I see the EGR tube, has a screw on cap over the end so I'm assuming they disabled the EGR. But there's a metal square that connects to the intake / throttle body and has two vacuum nipples on it. They were open so I put vac-caps on them because I didn't know what went to it.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:37 PM
87WSP5.0
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Speed density - 87 GT...MYSTERY PARTS!!

It should have a O2 sensor on each exhaust bank, a few inchs down from the header collector on the mid pipe.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:36 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

the 2 nipples on the egr spacer are for coolant to cool the exhaust gases going back in the intake, now if all the emissions are disabled, and there is no vac on the egr, you wont need the coolant flowing through the spacer.

i wouldnt worry about the ends being capped or not, as its not a vacuum source.

now for the o2 sensors, there should be one in each header at the collector, where it joins the mid-pipe.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:29 PM
87gt5o

I'll look for those O2 sensors again. Does anyone know what that black box is on the passengers side, by the radiator / coolant overflow tank? Also near the firewall on the passengers side, in the corner there are two plugs that go to some kind of...looks like a solenoid? They are unplugged and the plugs are corroded....not sure what they're for.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:34 AM
moterhead
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 87gt5o

I'll look for those O2 sensors again. Does anyone know what that black box is on the passengers side, by the radiator / coolant overflow tank? Also near the firewall on the passengers side, in the corner there are two plugs that go to some kind of...looks like a solenoid? They are unplugged and the plugs are corroded....not sure what they're for.
The black box is most likely your charcoal cannister for fuel vapors. It's part of the emission controls. If nothing is hooked to it, like a flex tube, then you can pull it off.

This link might help you with identifying other items.

https://mustangforums.com/m_563238/tm.htm