5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Trans F@cked... How severe is it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 03:35 PM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

Default Trans F@cked... How severe is it?

I tried this post in general dicussion but i didnt get the information-rich feedback that you can get in the tech sectionMy trans got stuck in 4th the other night and after i got it out, i relized it won't go into 3rd or 5th, and its really hard to get in the other gears. Neutral feels like a mess and im afraid its worse than just a $200 rebuild kit. Any suggestions?
THANKS!
Old 01-07-2008, 03:50 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Trans F@cked... How severe is it?

what do you mean neutral feels like a mess? sloping or stiff? details man details

edit: i'm assuming it's the stock T-5?
Old 01-07-2008, 04:39 PM
fourfivefour
3rd Gear Member

You won't know exactly what's wrong until it's disassembled and inspected.

For a quick check pull off the shifter housing andlook inside of there. Make sure the shift block is still attached to the shaft by the roll pin. Look at the detent plate under the block, check it for excessive wear or a missing detent ball, or broken detent spring.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:43 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

won't cause a trans. to stick in gear or prevent it from going a gear, it will however make it want to pop out of gear, and his detent ball isn't going to just disapear... i was thinking along the lines of something being bent
ORIGINAL: fourfivefour

You won't know exactly what's wrong until it's disassembled and inspected.

For a quick check pull off the shifter housing andlook inside of there. Make sure the shift block is still attached to the shaft by the roll pin. Look at the detent plate under the block, check it for excessive wear or a missing detent ball, or broken detent spring.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:47 PM
kuskye25

thats the exact simptoms of a clutch cable breaking, if its not then i would say bent clutch fork.... never can be sure though without looking at it possibely taking it apart some..
Old 01-07-2008, 05:26 PM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

I know its not the clutch... I pulled the shifter off last night and couldn't really see anything. What i meant by neutral being a mess is normally in neutral the shifter will freely move side to side. Well the shifter feels as if its hitting something when i try moving it in neutral. It feels like the shift mechanism is all messed up. Im thinking if i can still drive it and it doesnt make any loud noises or anything in gear, then it may not be as servere as i thought.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:29 PM
fourfivefour
3rd Gear Member

You couldhave broken a shift fork.
Anything is possible. Take it out and tear it down.

How to: T-5 Rebuild manual.
http://pomoforacing.com/tech/T5Rebuild2002.pdf
Old 01-07-2008, 05:31 PM
kuskye25

when the shifter was off the car did it move smoothly... if so is something wrong with the transmission, check oil level.. if none of this helps then it sounds broke

i would still say clutch fork at this point
Old 01-07-2008, 08:22 PM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

The clutch works fine. I had to drive the car 5 miles home after it broke, and the clutch was working properly. A shift fork sounds more like it...

ORIGINAL: kuskye25

when the shifter was off the car did it move smoothly... if so is something wrong with the transmission, check oil level.. if none of this helps then it sounds broke

i would still say clutch fork at this point
Old 01-08-2008, 03:37 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

shift forks only bend when beating on it, and it's still realy hard to do, awhile ago i posted a video of me driving my car how it gets driven most of the time and the only problem i have is the blocker rings can't take the abuse

Quick Reply: Trans F@cked... How severe is it?