5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Everyone HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 03:27 PM
littlebluelx
1st Gear Member

Default Everyone HELP

My car is running like S***, it is missing at idle and in rev but not at WOT. It stumbles and even stalls sometimes, well stalls alot like all the time. I have replaced the sparkplugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, even took my 6AL box off, map, coolant temp sensor(the one in the pipe on the manifold), mas, Tps, Idle air controle valve, even the CPU, O2s, had the Ignition Mod checked, fuel filter, fuel regulator, have check for vacuum leaks and removed most of the extra vacuum lines to be sure. Whats left for me to do???????
I did a Compression test today and this is what I got.
Cylinder
1-110lbs
2-120lbs
3-110lbs
4-115lbs
5-110lbs
6-115lbs
7-120lbs
8-100lbs
Since for what I have read the pressure should be between 130-150 and there shouldn't be anymore ther 10% of a difference between cylinders. Is this my problem? My motor only has 95K on it and has been sprayed 6 times with a 125 pill(dry)
Old 01-11-2008, 03:50 PM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Everyone HELP

no, the compression and nos isnt the issue. I am guessing that its your tfi module, its about the only thing you didnt replace. It may have been checked, but it might not have been bad when it was checked. They can overheat and start acting up. When cold they can be fine, when hot they can kill stuff.

Just my 2 cents, I would replace it, its around 30 dollars and if thats not the fix, its preventive maintence for the future.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:41 AM
littlebluelx
1st Gear Member

Thank you for the reply. Does anybody think I should get a ring job? Is my compression too low for my miles? So, if the TFI module doesn't fix the problem, what else may it be?
Old 01-12-2008, 07:27 AM
comptech35

i had almost the same problem it waz 2 of my injectors they were cloged at wot they would kick in and u would feel all 8 cylinders firing but before wot u woulnt be able to tell it waz only goin on 6cylinders. i bought rebuilt injectors on ebay for $25 for all 8. at kragen and napa they were $80 for each injector. im not 100% if that is ur problem thats just my 2cents
Old 01-12-2008, 08:00 AM
littlebluelx
1st Gear Member

I have ran I don't know how much fuel injector cleaner in my car plus I run 105 race fuel once a month but I will change the TFI modual today and change the motor to rail ground. if that isn't in I will look into the injectors and A new pump... Could it be anything else?
Old 01-12-2008, 08:14 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: littlebluelx

My car is running like S***, it is missing at idle and in rev but not at WOT. It stumbles and even stalls sometimes, well stalls alot like all the time. I have replaced the sparkplugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, even took my 6AL box off, map, coolant temp sensor(the one in the pipe on the manifold), mas, Tps, Idle air controle valve, even the CPU, O2s, had the Ignition Mod checked, fuel filter, fuel regulator, have check for vacuum leaks and removed most of the extra vacuum lines to be sure. Whats left for me to do???????
I did a Compression test today and this is what I got.
Cylinder
1-110lbs
2-120lbs
3-110lbs
4-115lbs
5-110lbs
6-115lbs
7-120lbs
8-100lbs
Since for what I have read the pressure should be between 130-150 and there shouldn't be anymore ther 10% of a difference between cylinders. Is this my problem? My motor only has 95K on it and has been sprayed 6 times with a 125 pill(dry)
So you've wasted countless hours and money w/ still no success. Have you taken a fuel pressure reading? You could have had a shop diagnose the problem for a lot less money than you've already trown at it. What about codes, have you checked for any?

You've removed the "extra" vacuum lines? What does that mean?

Do you have cats on the car?
Old 01-12-2008, 09:00 AM
littlebluelx
1st Gear Member

I have removed eveything but brake booster, fuel pressure regulator and pcv. those are the only vacuum lines left. It has been in two different shops one changed the map and mas, the other did a tune up and both ran codes to only tell me that their computers couldnt read it. they told me I'm missing wires to the test connecter. If you would like when I get back to the garage I will tell everyone what wires I do have. No cats,BBK LTs, ORH Pipe and flows. What do you think Pro50
Old 01-12-2008, 09:17 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

How long have you owned this car? Is this a new issue. W/ everything missing, it sounds like a real hack job. No offense. Vacuum lines and sensors are there for a reason. When they start getting removed, it does create issues. What about a fuel pressure reading. Has that been done.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:20 AM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

i know your asking bernie, but im going to chip in here to make you feel a little bit better. Bernie, no reason to be so harsh on littlebluelx. Sometimes shops will give you the run around even if they don't now what the problem is. I have been there before. Consider the parts that you changed preventive maintence. It's really a good thing that you have changed those parts as is now before they went out and actually caused more problems. With those things out of the way we can look into what exactly is causing your issues. One good thing I was thinking about while i was running my codes yesterday at autozone is a fuel pressure regulator or maybe a fuel pump or i guess as above possibly fuel injectors. I first would change the tfi module, whether its the case or not, they can do screwy things and if it is indeed old it DOES need to be chaned and everyone here who knows anything will agree to that. As far as the problem, grab a fuel pressure regulator and see what your fuel pressure is at idle and see what it is at WOT and get back to me. I am thinking that theres a posibility that at idle your fuel pressure is to low, however when your at wot your getting the correct fuel pressure needed for your beast. If you would like to clean your fuel injectors, I really recommend taking them to a shop if you dont do your own work. They will take them out, run a solution through them, clean them by hand, etc and put them back in. I had one injector that was cracked or the ring was cracked or something I dont remember and it gave a little more life back to my car. Also I wouldn't run countless amounts of fuel injector cleaner through your car. Personally I would use TOPS a bottle every 3 fill ups. Personally I do it once a month all on the same date haha. I am kind of religious on my maintence. =P.

Another random thing to put out there is to try a 6.99 can of seafoam. That stuff has helped out my friends with the most random idle issues when nothing else would. I had a buddy who cleaned his iac, tb, injectors, maf, changed fuel pump, and no results. Ran seafoam through his crank case, fuel and intake and within 30 minutes the car was at a perfect idle.

Anything else i can do let me know. Good luck bro.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:20 AM
littlebluelx
1st Gear Member

I have owned the car going on a year and a half now. the problem has been on going and getting worse for about 3 months. I took a trip to KC from Tulsa and while I was there it stated to act like this only slightly but now it is to the point that I cant even drive it because it will stall out so much and then kick back on tho normal that I take the chance of getting pulled over. Pro if those parts were put there for a reason then I need to ask you, Do you still have your EGR, Smog pump, and charcol canister?I know that because of emmisions alot of extras are added to a car but they would not make delete kits if they would cause problems......would they? I have been reading on the batter thread and I think that I may have a bad or loose ground because my battery is in the back. Im putting on the TFI right now then taking it out for a drive, if it still precedes to stall I will run a grount to the battery/ block then take it for a drive once more.

Thank you 92cobra for the help.
And Pro get back to me on the EGR and smog stuff, I would love to hear what you are running.

I have also ran seafoam and it didn't help the problem but I ran it to clean the car out like 2 weeks befor my trip. Do I use the shreader valve on the fuel line on the pass. side of the motor to do the pressure test?