5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cardinal sin mustang swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 01:39 AM
horatio102
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Cardinal sin mustang swap

ORIGINAL: 2slow4u

Horatio102 what combo do you have and state do you live in?
from the top to the bottom:
mac cai
FMS maf
edelbrock TB
professional products u/l intake
F303 cam
edelbrock performer heads
.030" over, 8.5 CR forged
mac shorty headers
mac o/r H-pipe
flowmaster 40s
no roof, no side windows, nothing from the front seatbacks aft - no plastic, trim, insulation, just sheetmetal

Some of those things are legal, such as the throttle body, possibly headers, heads, etc. The cam isn't though. But it went through state patrol inspection because it was an out of state rebuilt title and they looked at the receipts for it all. Hell, I drove it 12 hours in one day to get to the inspection and home with no license plates on it whatsoever, trip permit in the glove box. I got followed by a cop for a few minutes, but never pulled over.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:58 AM
horatio102
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fats429

Well I said I would do it so hear it is

in GA you can do engin swaps of the same engin faimly IE 221, 235, 255, 260, 289 , 302 and 351W CID nd have no prolbem at all ...
you can use the 385 faimly 360 to 535 CID ( hell yea thats 535CID lima bean uncle Henry ant F*****G around ) but known mostly for 429 / 460 CID with all smog comps. installed for that modle year IE 1992
since these engins or family member wer in production durring that year . eaven thouch they wer not offerd in that modle .... youcan also detune the CID with the same rules applyed IE 302 to 2.3 L

hear you go
http://www.cleanairforce.com/engine.htm

http://www.cleanairforce.com/

Ok I've been reading that website and here's my interpretation:

Engine switching is considered as being a form of tampering
Putting that chubby in is considered tampering with the emissions controls, and is therefore illegal at the federal level.

and on the subject of engine families:

Engine switches are acceptable as long as the resulting vehicle matches exactly to any "certified" configuration of the same or newer make and model year as the chassis
So you can use any engine that has been used in the mustang from 93 to current.

Also, replacing an originally installed V6 engine with a V8 engine may be made if either of the engines along with the engine-specific emission controls are used in that model vehicle by the manufacturer for retail sale.
Same for 4-popper to v8 swap. Grab a 302 complete with wiring harness, stock computer, fuel injection, and emissions stuff and throw it in. It'll actually be legal. It's your only option to remain completely legal.

You could also take that 302 and toss a 347 stroker kit in it, get a Tweecer or some similar tuning device and program some maps - emissions testing map and a power map. Chuck a G-force t5 behind it and you're good on power and you won't break your tranny. Yeah, it's not cheap, but it's got a chance of being legal.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:46 AM
2slow4u
1st Gear Member

I have been to this website. Problem is that the state stopped using the clean air force statewide program in 01. They calmed down on this stuff alot because it was getting out of hand. I know for a fact that if I was to put a sbc in my mustang it will be exempt. Im going to talk to a guy around here that has a sbc in his mustang and he runs 9 70's all day long and will drive the car to and from the track. He is an old timer and reaaaaally knows what he is talkin about. I think Ive decided to go with a manual valve body in a TH350/400 trans. If the emmisions get too much of a pain in the *** there may be a fox body on here for sale ill just get another motorcyle. This is gonna drive me F***in nuts. Ha i think im just gonna bribe the emmisions man. I gotta stop lookin at 460 mustangs low tens on stock shortblocks is an unfair advantage!!
Old 03-26-2005, 02:52 AM
2slow4u
1st Gear Member

One company that offers the K member
http://paracing.com/product_info.php...14d0111ca9de6e
Old 03-26-2005, 03:11 AM
horatio102
4th Gear Member

Can you provide a legit source that proves it? I just find it impossible to believe that they'd make your vehicle exempt from all emissions requirements if you put a different manufacturer's engine in it.

Ok, as of 12/31/98 there is no longer a special exemption for "hot rods" which your engine swap would fall under. If the swap had been done before that it would be grandfathered in.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:46 AM
2slow4u
1st Gear Member

alright, alright,. No more chevy! Is everyone happy. The new idea is..... run a stroked 351 build it with reasonable compression, when it comes time for emissions put a later model h pipe (yea the ones with 6 converters) and put on the 2 barrel carb and turn it lean. This should work (theoretically) it may not run well for the 1 day out of a year but as long as I pass ill be fine. I wanna be somewhere 400+ with the normal tune (4 barrel and no cats) Then go with about a 200 shot. And if it doesnt work Ill sell the car and buy a 5.0 sn95 and make it a fun good looking car not a fire breathing monster. give me some feedback on my new idea Im curious as far as heads go. I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to porting what would be my best options as far as stock or cheap aftermarket.

The idea of having to fab all that stuff was making me loose sleep.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:06 AM
horatio102
4th Gear Member

Not sure a 351 will be any more legal than a 460 would be. I've heard that 460s drop right in without too much trouble.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:19 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

stop it horatio, you're going to start frustrating him.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:42 PM
horatio102
4th Gear Member

lol

yeah, but a 460 worked over has way more potential. No need for a new crank or possible grinding on the block to get clearance or anything. 400hp is easy.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:33 AM
2slow4u
1st Gear Member

Like I said earlier (or maybe I didnt) I toyed with the idea of a 460. If I wanted to build the "Ultimate" street car I would probably build a 10:1 pump gas aluminum headed 514. Put an ungodly amount of nitrous on it and spray to the tune of like 800. But the notchback mustang is nose heavy enough. If you guys follow the american iron scca series you know the griggs 40 car. That car is so front end heavy they moved the seat back and put an extended steering column in it just to get closer to 50/50. Ive also talked to guys runnin stock headed 460's and the consensus is that if your not goin 10's with decent traction you're doing somethin wrong. But I am easy to please and I can make as much power as I want out of a 351. I'm a suspension buff so I want lightweight moderate power with no tire spin (If there is such a thing) The extra weight of the BB would be against my taste IMO.

Quick Reply: Cardinal sin mustang swap