5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Frustrating Temp Gauge Proplem

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 06:55 PM
jjooeell

Default Frustrating Temp Gauge Proplem

It all started soon after i bought the car early last year, the temp gauge does not work. first thing i did was change the temp senser, that didn't work, i then checked continuity from the sensor wire to inside the instrument cluster that looked good, i then bought a replacement temp and fuel gauge off of ebay and it still dont work, i then bought a new temp senser for $4.00 to see if the old one might have been bad, still dont work. I used my continuity tester to check the ground wire looks good i checked the "ill wire on the back of the cluster with another area that noted "ill" and that looked good. I am desperate I think i tried everything. what could it be, i dont want to change the whole instrument cluster(the miles are low and original) i would rather not have a dead gauge on my dash and i dont like the aftermarket gauge look, at this point i will try anything

Improvements made after i bought the car:
new gear
subframe connecters
cold air intake
exhaust
Old 01-12-2008, 07:08 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: Frustrating Temp Gauge Proplem

So everything is testing good. It's not a real involved circuit. You have a wire from the sender going to the cluster harness. That plugs into the cluster and makesm contact w/ the gauge thru the printed circuit board, then to ground. You sure you have checed everything correctly.

The temp sender, you are talking about the 1 wire piece correct? What year is the car, I'll see if i can get you a diagram if it's a simple one to post.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:14 PM
jjooeell

i believe i checked everthing out , it is a 95 convertable gt. it looked simple but it is driving me nuts. i would appreciate any help you got
Old 01-12-2008, 07:21 PM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

94-95 have 2 temp sensors. not sure why. Which one you change?
Old 01-12-2008, 07:29 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: ewgoetz

94-95 have 2 temp sensors. not sure why. Which one you change?
One is for the gauge and one is for the ecm

Here's a diagram.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29779/07582E76BB0A452586879A19BA008C5B.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-12-2008, 11:25 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: jjooeell

i believe i checked everthing out , it is a 95 convertable gt. it looked simple but it is driving me nuts. i would appreciate any help you got
well for one when you say you checked for continuity if you were using an ohmmeter ..all continuity means is the wire has the potential to carry/ transmit the signal to intended destination.....you need to uses a decade box or a gauge tester...I have one from mac tools that does just that and you can dial in a resistance value and if the gauge works...the needle will go up....with the tester..I can also test the IVR...which can cause an inoperative gauge if the ivr is bad
Old 01-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Pearlkobra12
2nd Gear Member

Rather than runnin around not knowing what the problem is...buy some nice autometer gauges
Old 01-13-2008, 09:31 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: Pearlkobra12

Rather than runnin around not knowing what the problem is...buy some nice autometer gauges
He stated that he doesn't want aftermarket gauges. Fixing this one should not be that difficult.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Disconnect the sender plug, jump the sender wire to ground, turn IGN ON....... the temp gauge should climb all the way to Hot....
Old 01-14-2008, 05:54 PM
jjooeell

Ok, I Tried Jumping the wire off the sender unit and then turn on the ignition, Nothing...., Now what is the wire Bad? do I have to run another one all the way or is there a way to replace one part of it(not going through the firewall) where does the wire go right now i look at the harness and it seems almost impossible to distingquish were it goes,

Quick Reply: Frustrating Temp Gauge Proplem