5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

svo with a 5.0 motor question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:57 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

Default RE: svo with a 5.0 motor question

i mean the swapping of engines and front ends, almost all people simply start cutting wires and ripping out stuff and just doing a ****-poor job at doing it correctly, and its to a rare SVO, such a disgrace to a nice pedigree
Old 01-14-2008, 08:58 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

pretty well everything bolts up, but that type of mustang has been rode hard and put up wet.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:12 PM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: warggod

did this year come with 4 wheel dics brakes on here is the rear end the same as other 5.0s
will this body and frame be just as good as a 85-93 mustang
Sounds like a screwed up SVO to me what a shame.
But to answer your questions, Yes the 84 SVO did come with 4 wheel disc brakes 5 lug wheels,
the rear end is a 7.5 with 3.45 gears stock & quad-shocks not a 8.8 like later 5.0's.
Body and frame is the same as any other mustang out there
Old 01-15-2008, 05:18 AM
hillbilly pony
3rd Gear Member

Like raven said. the rear end is the weak link. If it is a SVO or not who cares if yourlooking for a 5.0 you dont have to pay for out of pocket. 1000's of people swap out for 302's and have no problems.......myself for instance. YOU have to be satisfied with the trade if it is what you want. I personally would do it. carded 302's make MUCHCHEAPER Hp than all of the extras involved in EFI Hp. so i say if it is solid go for it.

But for future reference a real SVO with the original motor would be a collectors item. you should do the trade and then slap the original owner
Old 01-15-2008, 09:02 AM
warggod
1st Gear Member

lol ya slap the onwer
as long as it wasnt slapped together like **** and the guy took hes time and did a good job then i will trade i gess i could change the rest of the body and make it a newer sytle mustang will the newer style dashes fit wright in, same screw holes and i notice the back seat truck side panels are different i have 89 interior will all the interior fit right in change right out
plus i hope the 302 engine is out of a mustang because its a 4 barrel
Old 01-15-2008, 09:15 AM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

The unibody is the same, the front end is not. THe front end of the SVO is about 2" longer than all of the other front end. Also the front bumper cover wraps around all the way to the wheel wells. I happen to have an SVO front end that I tried bolting on to my '85 GT and found out that my hood was way too short.

But as someone else stated theyre 5 lug, 4 wheel disc brakes, and have a double wing ( I have that too). THey also have Recaro seats stock.

As for making them fast, its really easy. They boost 15PSI stock, with a engine management computer and some fuel system upgrades itll smoke most cars you come across.
-P.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:26 AM
warggod
1st Gear Member

got another question about the v8 in a 4cyclinder car will i not pass inspection because this svo did not come out with a v8 motor in it
Old 01-15-2008, 09:30 AM
warggod
1st Gear Member

THe front end of the SVO is about 2" longer than all of the other front end. Also the front bumper cover wraps around all the way to the wheel wells.
then what should i look for when i see this car today because he said the whole front end was changed to a 87 or 89 front end he said
Old 01-15-2008, 09:47 AM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

To see if its really an svo? Look for 5 lugs, 4 wheel disc brakes, Recaro seats ( they look pretty sporty as compared to regular mustang seats), a double wing on the back. THeres a small wing about half way up the glass then it should attach to the lower wing (which looks like an LX wing, BUT its SVO specific the part where it mates up to the smaller upper wing is flat).

As for the front end, I guarantee the hood, fenders, bumper cover, header panel all have been changed.
So really what you need to look for is whether this cars been in a wreck or not. Look for overspray on the core support, in the wheel wells. Probably running a carfax report wouldnt hurt. ALso, get the VIN and call your local Ford dealer's parts dept. and have them run the VIN and theyll be able to tell you if its a real SVO or not.
-P.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:51 AM
warggod
1st Gear Member

As for the front end, I guarantee the hood, fenders, bumper cover, header panel all have been changed.
so what your saying if you change this all then it will fit right i just dont wont to miss something that has been hatch up to fit

Quick Reply: svo with a 5.0 motor question