5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Question about t-top doors. Again.........

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 06:22 PM
monkeyboy
2nd Gear Member

Default Question about t-top doors. Again.........

Okay.. here's my story. I bought a complete convertible GT(minus drivetrain). For the body parts I need to re-do my t-top. The pass. door was in great shape. The drivers door was rusted outworse thanmy old one. I got all the other parts I needed off of it. I'm just needing a door still.
Okay.. Now... the convertible doors had the mirrors in the corners like my old t-top doors. And the convertible windows don't roll up enough to fit against my door seals. No problem I know i've heard that all I need to do is swap my t-top glass and they'll work.(is that true?) And I also found out after I got to tearing the vert doors apart. They were originally regular hard top doors.And they cut the frames off. Will this make a difference?
And... Now I found a guy that has two rust free vert doors off of a '93. The mirrors on them bolt on to the side of the door. Will the glass in those doors roll up all the way to meet my seals? I know that glass isn't the same as mine. But will it work for my application?
Sorry the post is so long. I just don't want to get screwed out of alot of money...again[:@]. Sometimes I wish I just bought a damn hardtop.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:26 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: Question about t-top doors. Again.........

yeah swa the glass it will be fine. and also ford didnt make any ttop car or vert they were sent to a company and had the roofs cut off or ttops added so the doors were always had frames if you still need a door pick up a hard top door and add the vert/ttop door bracing to it and cut the frame off and add the correct glass
Old 01-16-2008, 06:46 PM
monkeyboy
2nd Gear Member

Okay.. What you said holds true to what I knew about the doors that I already got off of the vert. parts car. I knew the glass would swap on them. But... Does the glass have to be changed out on the newer style vert doors? The ones I can get don't have any frame at all in the front. So I know my glass won't work. But will I need to change the glass in them too?
I wished someone made new replacement doors for foxbodies[:@]. Something that should be so simple is so aggrevating. (at least when you try to stay cheap).
Old 01-17-2008, 06:04 PM
monkeyboy
2nd Gear Member

Good news! The guy that had the vert. doors. Also has a 86' t-top sitting around. Hopefully there not rotted out.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:46 PM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: monkeyboy

Okay.. Now... the convertible doors had the mirrors in the corners like my old t-top doors. And the convertible windows don't roll up enough to fit against my door seals. No problem I know i've heard that all I need to do is swap my t-top glass and they'll work.(is that true?)
Yes use your original T-top glass.

And I also found out after I got to tearing the vert doors apart. They were originally regular hard top doors. And they cut the frames off. Will this make a difference?
All convertibles and T-tops where finished off line for Ford by Car and Concepts. On convertibles a temporary and easily removed "hardtop"roof section was used to cover the open cabin. These Mustangs use a frameless door glass and special door caps.

And... Now I found a guy that has two rust free vert doors off of a '93. The mirrors on them bolt on to the side of the door. Will the glass in those doors roll up all the way to meet my seals?

Does the glass have to be changed out on the newer style vert doors? The ones I can get don't have any frame at all in the front. So I know my glass won't work. But will I need to change the glass in them too?
I know the few 88 T-Tops that where made had the body mounted mirrors, as far as the glass goes between convertible and t-top on these 88 models I would guess the glass is the same but I have read from one source on another board that there is a slight height difference between the two.
I am using the newer 88 - 93 vert doors on my hardtop project. I'm not sure how much farther down the t-top panels come compared to a standard hardtop but, with the convertible glass adjusted level and all the way up, I will have to make a spacer to bring the weather stripping down to meet the glass for a good seal. I already have the front and back spacers from a t-top for those parts of the windows to have the weather stripping match up.