5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

exhaust re-vamp, which X-pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 10:52 AM
BunnMan
1st Gear Member

Default exhaust re-vamp, which X-pipe?

Flunked emissions in my '89 GT the other day so I gotta put the stock H back in to get through I guess. When I tear it back out RIGHT after I get a pass I figure I'll put in an X instead of of H. Currently it's bone stock ('cept the 3.73's), Mac equal shorties, Mac OR H, Flowmasters. I dunno which model the Flowmasters are, they came on the car and just say the name on the muffler. Sounds is OK but not perfect. Real easy on the pedal it sounds good, hard on the pedal it sounds great,mid pedal sounds choppy fdor some reason. I don't know exactly how to describe the choppiness, it aint motor, it's definately exhaust. Just gets kinda "slappy" or "choppy"around 2500 unless you're on it. I want to switch towhatever will give the the max power I can get but would prefer to keep the headers, I figure they're decent ones.Sound is important too, I like LOUD but performance is key. Which X and muffler combo would set it off?

Thanks and God bless,

-BunnMan
Old 01-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Stella94GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: exhaust re-vamp, which X-pipe?

are you wanting to keep it emissions legal so you dont have the problem again? if not, this is the one i like the best, its a little more expensive than the others but the designe seems to be the best http://drgas.com/store/product.php?p...t=1&page=1
Old 01-21-2008, 01:37 PM
BunnMan
1st Gear Member

This will be my last run in with the emissions program. She's 20 next year and won't have to be tested anymore. So after she passes, I'm immedaitely going to back to OR exhaust.

Those pipes are a little pricier than others I've seen. I would expect stainless at that price. I'll add them to the list but they're at the bottom for now unless the performance is a lot better than the rest. I sawa "Pypes" stainless 2 piece X-pipe for around $160, how would that compare performance wise?

Thanks and God bless,

-Keith
Old 01-21-2008, 02:46 PM
Stella94GT
3rd Gear Member

yea its pretty pricey and to be honest even if it does perform better than the others, the gains are probably minimal. upr makes a great o/r x, one of my freinds has it http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=280, i think the pypes one comes in two pieces so you will need to assemble it.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Novipowered5.0
1st Gear Member

Be aware that the x pipes does not have the deep rumble that the H pipes carry.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:25 PM
BunnMan
1st Gear Member

Stella, that UPR pipe is a two piece as well. They look to be a little easier to install than the one piece pipes.

I would not have guessed that the X-pipes would be higher pitched than an H, thanks for the info. My understanding si that the X's flow better and therefore allow more HP, correct?

Did a search on youtube to hear some X-pipes and keep coming up with folks that have "dumps"...what's that?

God bless,

-BunnMan
Old 01-21-2008, 08:47 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

x pipes have a racier tone, while the h pipe has the deep muscular tone.

f*** emissions...so glad we dont have them for OBD1 in st. louis anymore.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:58 AM
50Stocker
2nd Gear Member

what you are referring to is the famous flowmaster drone at that RPM. A lot of mufflers have that, Listen to sound clips on the netto see what set up want to get before you go buying anything. An X-pipe is raspier and can make frequent popping sounds more than the deeper sound of the H-pipe, but that's up to you. As fasr as exhaust I looekd at buying a car with a MAC cat back and a stock H and it was pretty damn loud for a SN car with four cats. Mjr46 will endorse the hell out a MAC cat-back too! hahaha
Old 01-22-2008, 01:52 AM
Albizo66
4th Gear Member

i have bbk equals, bbk o/rx (great pipe, very well built) and flowmaster 3 chambers...she screams when i get on her..quiet when i want

come spring, SLP time baby!!! all loud, all the time
Old 01-22-2008, 06:30 AM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

I have the BBK X, it fit really good and was easy to install, I didn't like the 2 piece ones

Quick Reply: exhaust re-vamp, which X-pipe?