5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Tutorial: How to port and polish GT-40 heads (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 04:04 PM
tooslow5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default Tutorial: How to port and polish GT-40 heads (pics)

Hey guys, since I recently ported and polished my gt-40's, I thought I would share how I did it! This is the first set of 2 valve Iron heads I have worked with. Hopefully this will help others looking to try it as well! ==>Note: I did not touch the intake ports since they already flow well and the rough texture promotes fuel suspension and atomization. The exhaust ports on the other hand need a lot of love!

Here we go:

As you can see in the above pic, the exhaust port is much smaller than the gasket opening, I used a combination of a dremel with sanding drums to polish,and a rotozip with with various dye grider bits to port. start working your way outwards and match the gasket opening, when you reach the desired shape you ca start polishing the entire port.

In this pic you can see how I have started to open up the exhaust ports to achieve the desired shape. Take you time and take care not to damage the gasket mating surfaces, valve guides and valve seats.

There is a nasty hump like obstruction in every exhaust port, which you can see i have started to grind away here(its to the right of the port in the center). take extreme care not to grind too far, or you may end up in a water jacket, thus ruining your head. Also start to grind the bowl area where it kinks just under the valve seat, taking care not to accidentally grind the seat itself.

here is a pic of the final product.

and an upclose, notice how close the port shape is to the gasket hole, and hw smooth the inside is. It looks like this all the way to the valve seat.

If you are unsure if you have GT-40 heads, there is a casting stamp saying GT all over the place on them, plus the 3 bars on the ends of the heads.

Anyways, I hope this was helpful!
Old 01-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Stella94GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Tutorial: How to port and polish GT-40 heads (pics)

nice write up, makes me want to try it. how long did it take and what gaskets did you match your ports to?
Old 01-21-2008, 04:37 PM
tooslow5.0
2nd Gear Member

It took me maybe around 6 hours of grind time, hard to say, I work on them over the course of a few days. gaskets are standard felpro's from summit. I should also note that once I was done I took them to the machine shop and got a 3 angle valve job done, had them hot tanked, reassembled with new seals. DO NOT do any grinding on your heads and reinstall them w/o hot tanking them and re building them with assembly lube and seals.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Stella94GT
3rd Gear Member

what did the machine shop carge for all that if you dont mind me askin?
Old 01-21-2008, 05:53 PM
tooslow5.0
2nd Gear Member

well, it was $30 per head to mill them, $10 per head to grind the valve stems down the same amount as the heads were milled, so I didnt need to get new pushrods, $100 for a 3 angle valve job, hot tank, shot peen, clean the valves, rebuild and paint.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:19 PM
jrt1990
3rd Gear Member

Wow that's a lot cheaper than I thought, I was wondering how you got it so clean. So if you do an engine rebuild you would want to hot tank just about everything too right?
Old 01-21-2008, 07:23 PM
tooslow5.0
2nd Gear Member

yes, youll want to hot tank your parts, just make sure theyre properly lubed when reassembling. the shop i use is pretty inexpensive, but the one down the street from him charges twice as much for the same work, so shop around and dont let tweekers do the machine work.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:25 PM
tooslow5.0
2nd Gear Member

I also had new freeze plugs put in for $10
Old 01-21-2008, 07:50 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

nice. i will be doing this to my gt40p's when it warms up.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:07 PM
crazijames

yeah I got a set of gt 40's Ive been wanting to try that on, I'll have to sit down and play with them!

Quick Reply: Tutorial: How to port and polish GT-40 heads (pics)