5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

AOD or C4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 07:06 PM
vvelez5
1st Gear Member

Default RE: AOD or C4?

ORIGINAL: Mustangkiler

The converter stall speed and gear in the back should be matched to whatever cam you plan on using.
I know i was told dont ask on this site so my question is who should i ask to get the right torque converter?
Old 01-23-2008, 09:04 PM
vvelez5
1st Gear Member

well ive been looking and it looks like im gonna stick with an AOD i saw a rebuild kit on ford-aod.com for around 900 bucks which is half the price of a brand new AOD and do you guys think it will be a good idea if i grab an aod out of the junk yard and use the rebuild kit on that? also do you think itll be a good idea to replace the valve body?
Old 01-23-2008, 10:42 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: vvelez5

well ive been looking and it looks like im gonna stick with an AOD i saw a rebuild kit on ford-aod.com for around 900 bucks which is half the price of a brand new AOD and do you guys think it will be a good idea if i grab an aod out of the junk yard and use the rebuild kit on that? also do you think itll be a good idea to replace the valve body?
no need to replace a working valve boby expecially for your application....and stick with the aod for daily driving..with gas prices...an aod is worth it..and I wouldn't use a aod out of a junk yard cause you don't know what works and doesn't..if you redo your current one than at least you'd know what to rebuild on it based on any symptoms/complaints about it
Old 01-23-2008, 10:44 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustangkiler

The converter stall speed and gear in the back should be matched to whatever cam you plan on using.
I know i was told dont ask on this site so my question is who should i ask to get the right torque converter?
Egde racing converters
Old 01-23-2008, 11:20 PM
vvelez5
1st Gear Member

what about getting an AOD tranny off of ebay? i know many people are against ebay but im thinking since its just an ebay AOD
Old 01-24-2008, 05:08 AM
hillbilly pony
3rd Gear Member

If you get a used AOD.....get one from a crown vic or mercury or something NOT a mustang. I dont know what you were looking at for 900 as a rebuild kit but like i said earlier. TCI makes a rebuild kit that includes all clutches and an over-drive band and a shift kit for 250!!! that should be all you need if you get a tranny from something that was most likely granny driven. replacing all the clutches and OD band should be all you need to do. and like me and mjr said usually no need to replace the valve body.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Hung Like a Stang
4th Gear Member

hey hillbilly, how much power do you think that TCI rebuild will be good for? Where can one purchase a hardened input shaft. Looking for 500 ft/lb torque capabilities.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:20 PM
vvelez5
1st Gear Member

my bad hillbilly i skipt your thread i didnt need to ask all that stuff if i read your thread. Why should i get an aod out of a mercury or crown vic? (curious) and the one rebuild kit for 900 bucks has the following you guys tell me if i should just go with the tci i really dont know this is from www.ford-aod.com the dominator jr. rebuild kit
[ul][*]alto clutches[*] high performance Superior Posi Shift Pac[*] eight count Alto Red Eagledirect clutch Power Pack[*] Carbon Fiber overdrive band[*] high performance Superior A+ overdrive servo[*] filter[*] heavy duty 2500 RPM stall converter (#14)[*] hard lock-up shaft[*] spiral snap ring[/ul]It seems like thats if i wanna make it to a race car but it is able to hold up to 500hp with that kit.
the tci comes with
* Gasket and seal kit
* High-quality clutches
* Steels
* Forward bands
* Adjustable modulator
* High-volume filter
* Drain plug kit
* Trans-Scat valve body modifications
but it doesnt say how much power its good for i like the tci better cuz its cheaper but would i still have to buy a converter? and if i do i noticed the pricing is about the same with the one from ford-aod.com comes with a few more parts but if i dont need it then i dont want to spend the money
Old 01-24-2008, 06:03 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

Do you have experience rebuilding AODs?. If so, great. Either kit will work. Ifyou don't have experience with AODs, they're a pretty tough tranny for the novice. There are some specialized (read: expensive) tools that you will need to rebuild a AOD, and it's very tricky to get the shift points right. If you don't have experience wih AODs, at least get one of the "How to" DVDs. I suggest spending the $36 on the Badshoe AOD DVD. I purchashed one myself last year, and it's very detailed step by step. the only thing keeping me from rebuilding my own is the specialized tools required?.

http://www.badshoeproductions.com/products.html#aod

Old 01-24-2008, 06:09 PM
rebel_yell
2nd Gear Member

T-5 swap FTW!!!