5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Im about to sell my car (not really, im just fustrated)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 08:28 PM
SuperTom90lx50

Default Im about to sell my car (not really, im just fustrated)

I have a 1990 LX 5.0, and im having a few problems. First off, I had my heads rebuilt, decked, and a new head gasket about 8-9 mths ago. Now, the exhaust is white, out of thepassenger side e-pipe! I keep checking the coolant, and its never low (and it never heats up enough to hit the max hot on the resivoir). The car hasnt idled correctly sense I got it back from the mechanics. 2 weeks after I got the car back, the throttle body broke (I believe the mechanic is sabotaging me eventhough he is a friend of the family).

Also, i can start my car and drive to work, and when I start the car to go home.....nothing. I pop the hood, and disconnect the neg lead and plug it back in. I get back in, and the car starts up like normal.......

Ive replaced the alt, battery, + and - leads from the battery to the starter silonoid/ground, and a new starter.

The car has c4/shift kit, no smog pump, no heater core, 373s,hpipe without cats(yea yea, thestupid check engine light is on).

Do I need to rewire everything?

Thanks

Tom
Old 01-27-2008, 09:28 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Im about to sell my car (not really, im just fustrated)

how white??? ya know sometimes it's just condensation burning / evaporating off....if it's not loosing coolant and overheating than don't worry.....and it sounds as if your brushing the CEL being on as nothing of importance when it should be quite the opposite..cause it may clue you in to the probs the ecm is seeing which could help you clear up all of your concerns...a simple KOEO/KOER test will tell you the codes and we can go from there
Old 01-28-2008, 01:13 AM
rebel_yell
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SuperTom90lx50

Also, i can start my car and drive to work, and when I start the car to go home.....nothing. I pop the hood, and disconnect the neg lead and plug it back in. I get back in, and the car starts up like normal.......

Ive replaced the alt, battery, + and - leads from the battery to the starter silonoid/ground, and a new starter.

Do I need to rewire everything?

Thanks

Tom
replace the solonoid. i bet thats exactly what it is
Old 01-28-2008, 06:02 PM
SuperTom90lx50

yea, ivereplaced the silonoid about 10 times in the past year. could it be that i keepbuying them from advanced auto parts (well trading them under warrenty)? my uncle owns a tire shop, and he said that AAP is netorious for bad parts?!?
Old 01-28-2008, 07:01 PM
SuperTom90lx50

ORIGINAL: mjr46

how white??? ya know sometimes it's just condensation burning / evaporating off....if it's not loosing coolant and overheating than don't worry.....and it sounds as if your brushing the CEL being on as nothing of importance when it should be quite the opposite..cause it may clue you in to the probs the ecm is seeing which could help you clear up all of your concerns...a simple KOEO/KOER test will tell you the codes and we can go from there
I will probably buy a code tester when I get my taxes back.

CEL? I dont know what that is.....

Its pretty white.... Ive got a fuel filter, and im going to replace it tommorrow (someone suggested that im running too lean). Also, the motor has started shaking really bad. I wish i wouldnt of takenit tothe mechanics.....
Thanks
Old 01-28-2008, 07:10 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

cel = check engine light and you don't need a code reader..if the motor is shaking bad it most likely has a misfire occuring and a cylinder balance test performed by the ecm will indicate which one....follow this and it will help you!!!

http://myshifter.com/joel50/EECTEST.html
Old 01-28-2008, 07:20 PM
91stanger
1st Gear Member

Anytime you replace the same part that many times, its time to contact who make it.
They almost always know exactly what causes that part to fail. I had a blazer that blew ignition modules like crazy, called the company and they said check the alternator diode,
sure enough problem solved.Good Luck , take your time, dont spend unneccessary money
on parts ya dont need.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:39 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Selling your car over a Mechanical Problem, is like trading a beer for a soda. Fix er up.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:51 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

if you have a consistant problem with one single part, its not the parts fault.... something else is causing it to go bad... find it!
Old 01-29-2008, 10:43 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/m_919444/m.../tm.htm#921609

here is link to follow, let us know the code(s)

Quick Reply: Im about to sell my car (not really, im just fustrated)