5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New heads, headers, intake, NOW will my car be officially "Modded?"

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 06:57 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default New heads, headers, intake, NOW will my car be officially "Modded?"

Ok, some of you already know the little bits here and there that I have done to my car. There is a definite noticeable gain in performance from stock, but I know I'm not "drag race quality" yet, lol.

Anyway, I'm going to buy this guy's car now, and will be making use of some of his more useful parts, including his Edelbrock performer rpm heads and intake manifold. I think he either has long-tube headers or equal-length shorties. I hope he has equal shorties so I won't have to redo my entire exhaust system, but either way, it's better than my stock headers.

I'm also planning on putting his Cobra-Spec T-5 into my car, converting it from the automatic it has now.

I can't really use his intake arm without changing over from 19lb injectors to 24lb injectors. I don't really feel like guzzling more gas, at least not yet, maybe later when my Mustang is not my primary source of transportation.

I also do not really want to use his 3.55 rear-end gears because he pushed his car hard, so they might already be a little warn down, so I'd rather buy new FMS gears and break them in myself. That will come later.

Anyway, after all of these mods, THEN would you consider me a real contender?
Old 03-27-2005, 07:00 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Default RE: New heads, headers, intake, NOW will my car be officially "Modded?"

gears are gears so if they arent missing any teeth or worn badly just use them, as for a contender any 5.0 that has H/C/I is a real contender to me
Old 03-27-2005, 07:07 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Well, I would still have my stock in-block cam, so, oh well, 2 out of 3 isn't bad, lol.

Anyway, if you really think I should use the gears, I don't have a problem with that.

Oh, but let me say, I am hoping to sell the rest of the car on ebay or something, and I think mentioning gears would make it sound better or something...

Well, I guess it doesn't matter as much as getting my own car to drive better and faster...

Anyway, would you highly recommend me to change my cam? Or would leaving it stock be ok? What if I might think about supercharging sometime in the futre, would that change what I should do to it now?
Old 03-27-2005, 07:10 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

to get the full effect of the heads and intake you'll definetly wanna put a new cam in nothin to crazy but better than stock somethin like a b or e cam should do well
Old 03-27-2005, 07:17 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

I honestly don't know much about the cams. Are you just saying to replace the in-block cam with another, or install overhead cams in the car? I don't really know what all of that does. I think it has something to do with the timing of the valves or something, but not really sure...
Old 03-27-2005, 07:22 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

lol yes replace the cam in the block, remove the intake,balancer,timing cover,timing chain and you have the cam btw you cant put overhead cams on a pushrod motor
Old 03-27-2005, 10:57 AM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

i have a e303 cam in my car and love it
Old 03-27-2005, 03:19 PM
91LXstanger
3rd Gear Member

How does the E cam sound at idle?
Old 03-27-2005, 07:22 PM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

E cams with 1.7s and heads dont sound half bad... actually they sound lopey just like a cam is supposed to.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:24 PM
LOVEMY88GT
I ♥ Acer

so is the e303 cam the most popular for daily drivers? If so what is the brand? (Ford Racing?)

Quick Reply: New heads, headers, intake, NOW will my car be officially "Modded?"