5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

got a few Q's need some A's

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 02:39 PM
crocop
2nd Gear Member

Default got a few Q's need some A's

im getting ready to order some stuff for my car. i wanted to take the intake manifold and cam approach but everyone says im just going to waste my money. so im going to throw on march U/D pulleys, pro 5.0 shifter, i herd that converting to a electric fan can add some power to, and converting to a MAF system. would i see better gains this way?

another question i have is about the a/c compressor. my clutch on the compressor doesnt engage so therefore it doesnt work and makes a loud whinning sound, would i see any gains if i just got a shorter belt and went right around the ac pulley? another thing that im confused about is the smog pump, for some reason i am very confused about something. every time i look up ac delete kits they all say in the description that its a smog delete kit. is the AC compressor in any way have relations with the smog pump?

also im going to be changing the rear main seal, i was going to get the felpro performance tefelon seal thats 40 bucks from summit? is this a good seal. and while the tranny is off i guess i might as well change the clutch as well. whats a good clutch to get for an affortable price? and should i also get a new pressure plate as well? im a student so i dont want to spend to to much on the clutch.

next i was curious about the ignition coil. i still have the stock unit on at 200 000km on my motor, should it be changed since i have performance wires and msd cap n rotor? i was thinking of the mallory high performance coil.

lol sorry about all the questions but any responses would be great.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:14 PM
hatchdemon89
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: got a few Q's need some A's

OK how about this u have instang messenger well talk there
Old 02-05-2008, 04:36 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

all of what you siad won't get you much of anything....good parts but you don't need them

w/ exception to the pro 5.0 shifter and mallory coil....do those.

then save for heads, or while your waiting, get 4.10 gears and cheater slicks, you will be very happy , after the gears and tires, spray it a little. you'll be even happier
Old 02-05-2008, 05:13 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Yeah all those lil things don't add up to much at all, definitely save for heads and do the heads/cam/intake all at once.

As for the clutch, if it still grabs well and has some life left in it I personally wouldn't change it. Just unneeded expense right now and if you have to do a clutch a while down the road it doesn't take much to rip the tranny out.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:28 PM
crocop
2nd Gear Member

is a maf conversion a good thing to do for better milage and possibly a couple of ponies. itll cost me around 200 for it.

so you guys say that those little adders except for the pro 5.0 do nothing. well i was just looking an some suspension upgrades, am i better off getting upper and lower control arms for tracition purposes. i was looking on ebay and they have the tubular style with the poly bushings. its like 120 bucks for u/l arms, will i get better results rather then getting the pullys?

also is the electric fan a good upgrade, i herd it cools way better?

basically im trying to avoid the H/C/I job, because i can afford to do all of them, thats why i was thinking cam or intake manifold but from what i hear its not worth doing if any of the three is still stock.

Nos im not going to do because i cant use nos in my province unless i want my license suspended, and whats the tire life for the street radials or a tire that sticks really good. i have my 245's on the rear and they seem to be doing great for me, the grab realy good. if i pop the clutch at lets say 3500 rpm (i dont really rmeber since the cars been away in storage since september) ill chirp the tire and then go, ill pretty much grab almost all of 1st and every other gear