5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

mid pipe, muffler and tips

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:19 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

Default mid pipe, muffler and tips

i already have bbk equal shorties, i gutted my stock cats, but i know there is more hp to be found.
who makes the best decently priced o/r h pipe, esp. one that i dont have to do all kinds of modification to get it to fit and have one tail pipe shorter than the other.
also, i need suggestions on mufflers.
i was thinking about magnaflows, i heard that they arent a huge restriction, the new s/c saleens have them, sounds good, but is a 4.6...
many say flowmasters, dont want to be extremely different, but flowmasters on a stang...all to common.
idk about borlas, they are good, but very expensive, sure that $ is not so relative to this car, but right now i rather not spend that much on them.

also would getting 2.5 tailpipes be a good idea, instead of just using the stock ones. i was going to just dump it, but the sn95's look naked w/o the pipes in the rear.

thanks a million guys, and yes i used the search feature already, my eyes burned out and i didnt get everything answered lol

Old 02-05-2008, 10:07 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Default RE: mid pipe, muffler and tips

I have a MAC offroad h pipe that comes in 3 pieces. Great flexibility for that really tucked exaust. I have mine almost to the point where you can't see it at a level look execept where the main pipes come down and bend back. The MAC pro dump system you see comes completly assembled and ready to bolt up. The mufflers were only $190 and are loud with dumps and are a little more suttle with tail pipes.

[IMG]local://upfiles/44049/AC73427B97B34E838933293341DAE948.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-06-2008, 03:20 AM
TripleJay22
2nd Gear Member

i have an o/r h pipe not really sure what brand because it came out of a junk yard and actually just put on today and it went it fairly easy once i got the old one out, and i have flowmaster super 44s and it sounds great, really loud if that is what your looking for. if your looking for really loud there is always the single chamber flowmasters.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:11 AM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

i got a bbk o/r h-pipe. went right in. no problems whatsoever. muffler wise, its all a personal choice on a) price and b) sound. i love my flowmasters though. ive never heard a 'Stang with flowmasters that sounded bad...

Edit: my h-pipe was @ $150/160.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:27 AM
MADMAC
2nd Gear Member

I have the BBK o/f "H"pipe with flowmaster two chambers. The rest running aft is flowmaster stainless. It is all 2 1/2" pipe. You stated that you would like to be different as far as flowmaster was concerned, If it sounds good, do it!!!

When I finish my 418w it will all go to 3" pipe.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Milton
3rd Gear Member

if your looking for the most horse power the straight through style mufflers like magnaflow and slpare supposed to make more pwer then the chambered size, but i doubt it be enough to make you want to pick one over the other, id imagine theyd be louder too. Mac pro chambers a good idea for a midpipe if you wanted to be a little different sounding
Old 02-06-2008, 04:19 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94StinkinLincoln

i already have bbk equal shorties, i gutted my stock cats, but i know there is more hp to be found.
who makes the best decently priced o/r h pipe, esp. one that i dont have to do all kinds of modification to get it to fit and have one tail pipe shorter than the other.
also, i need suggestions on mufflers.
i was thinking about magnaflows, i heard that they arent a huge restriction, the new s/c saleens have them, sounds good, but is a 4.6...
many say flowmasters, dont want to be extremely different, but flowmasters on a stang...all to common.
idk about borlas, they are good, but very expensive, sure that $ is not so relative to this car, but right now i rather not spend that much on them.

also would getting 2.5 tailpipes be a good idea, instead of just using the stock ones. i was going to just dump it, but the sn95's look naked w/o the pipes in the rear.

thanks a million guys, and yes i used the search feature already, my eyes burned out and i didnt get everything answered lol

I have Magnaflow, there not real loud, but when u punch it u will hear it. Also, they have very little drone, which is good. I recently put High flow cats in my stock H pipe, it DID NOT get much louder but did change tone a little. I would suggest a O/R H, see with Magnalfow mufflers a O/R will make them alot louder with out being annoying loud. As for 2.5" tailpipes, this is a must have everything fromheaders back be 2.5"
Old 02-06-2008, 04:33 PM
elite130
2nd Gear Member

I swear by Magnaflow. I had it on my '02 GT, and now it will be going on my '88 5.0 and in the future, my pickup. Not only is it 100% stainless, but it has straight through mufflers which flowbetter than a chambered mufflerand sounds even better. I just bought an o/r H-pipe and a Magnaflow cat-back for my '88. I should get it tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll get it all installed this weekend.I know it will sound good and different from everyone else with Flowmasters.