5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

most lift a stock 5.0 can take?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: most lift a stock 5.0 can take?

ORIGINAL: 5spd GT

ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

Nope....... engine stroke is not symmetric.
Okay, I am a bit confused. Are you saying that not all strokes are the same?

If I so, of course I know this, and it would be at a differen position with a 3.4" stroke, but I used a 3.0" stroke because it is a 302.

Please expound on what you mean
Nope... it means that in the 180° rotation of the downward stroke movement in an Otto piston engine ...... 90°, or 50% of the stroke rotation â‰* 50% of the piston stroke in the cylinder..... it is more more on the 60%+ side......[sm=WTFsgign.gif] .... for a person that versed in the R:S topic and lateral loading you should know this engine 101 fact.

An please...... no excuses on the possible rhetorical nature of that question....... a direct 1:1 relation as you used below.....

Joel, correct me if I am wrong...

Take a TFS1 cam specs:

Intake Opening: 3* BTDC
Intake Closing: 38* ABDC
Exhaust Opening: 49* BBDC
Exhaust Closing: 4* BTDC

Add the intake opening and closing plus 180* = 180 + 41 = 141.

221/2 = 110.5*

110.5*/180 = .614

.614 x 3.0" = 1.842" in the hole when the TFS on the intake side is at peak lift.

Is this what you are you using?
Does not apply to piston location/crankshaft degrees......
Old 02-08-2008, 12:34 PM
86GreenMachine
2nd Gear Member

Dont mean to be a thread stealer.But i have a comp xam XE264HR cam.Im not a roller block,i have flat top pistons,will this cam work in my engine?
Old 02-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 86GreenMachine

Dont mean to be a thread stealer.But i have a comp xam XE264HR cam.Im not a roller block,i have flat top pistons,will this cam work in my engine?
'86 w/E6 heads it may clear..... but I wouldn't even bother to add a cam with those heads.

'86 with any other style heads (TFS TW would be the exception)..... it won't clear.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustangkiler

An f cam with 1.6s straight wont hit the pistons, but if you put 1.7's it will if you install it straight up, only thing changed is lift, so if it has nothing to do with it then why does it hit at all?
If you do nothing but change your RR you will affect the lift AND duration...
Old 02-08-2008, 02:35 PM
5spd GT
3rd Gear Member

Nope... it means that in the 180° rotation of the downward stroke movement in an Otto piston engine ...... 90°, or 50% of the stroke rotation â‰* 50% of the piston stroke in the cylinder..... it is more more on the 60%+ side......[sm=WTFsgign.gif] .... for a person that versed in the R:S topic and lateral loading you should know this engine 101 fact.

An please...... no excuses on the possible rhetorical nature of that question....... a direct 1:1 relation as you used below.....

Joel, you seem to be taking some past post personal. I am done with this thread now...
Old 02-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

Again i know peak lift has nothing to dowith ptv clearancei have said that 3 times, i said lift not peak lift again i know peak lift is nowhere near tdc, and howcould a 1.6 to 1.7 roller rocker change duration too? All im asking is if lift has absolutely nothing to do with it at all then why once he changed to 1.7's it didnt clear? The only answer i have gotten is that he had to do be doing something wrong which i doubt cuz hesolder wiser and been involved in 5.0s since back in the day.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:57 PM
midasmustang

im so confused!!!!!!!!!! lol
Old 02-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: 5spd GT

Nope... it means that in the 180° rotation of the downward stroke movement in an Otto piston engine ...... 90°, or 50% of the stroke rotation â‰* 50% of the piston stroke in the cylinder..... it is more more on the 60%+ side...... .... for a person that versed in the R:S topic and lateral loading you should know this engine 101 fact.

Joel, you seem to be taking some past post personal. I am done with this thread now...
Nope..... calling it as I see it and here is why, so you don't assume anything "negative".......

1. In order to understand the dynamics of a piston enclosed in a cylinder, you need to understand the statics..... statics in a sense of taking some snapshots of the cycle.

2. Taking #1 as a basic rule (similar to the "you need to learn to walk before your run" cliché) you need to understand and visualize the piston cycle in a static mode....... this helps determine and ID position and stroke motion curve.

3. After #2 above, you then start adding all the vector forces involved in its simple up-down motion.....velocity, acceleration, etc

4. After #3, then you begin working all the friction coefficients and all the elements that affect piston speed, acceleration, points of mechanical stress, etc.....

5. Then you add the flow characteristics of a specific cylinder-piston-rod setup (no cylinder heads yet)..... the effects of piston C/H, piston crown surface, seal efficiency, wrist pin position, etc, etc.

6. Then add the cylinder heads and all their characteristics and effects on the cylinder/piston setup.

7. Now add the valves timing effects (cam + valve train), seat diameter, angles, weight, stem length, stem diameter, position, angle, etc.

6. Etc, etc

7. More etc.

If 1-2 are not understood....... how can anybody talk about #3+ ?...

Since you're done at the other thread, again, you're taking things too personal..... oh!.... and regarding your conclusion of......

I see that you stated that you gave advice about someone without having personal service from them. I was also questioned for speaking of a company without having personal service from them. I find that "ironic" as you have stated. I get questioned about it, but you do it
Wrong assumption....... or did you forget that I also have customers?... have I spent a dime yet? (which was the question)...... nope. Have I had to play the "customer" role for my customers?....... what do you think? .... wouldn't that give me the factual data and experience to answer as I did, w/out being "ironic"?......
Old 02-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustangkiler

Again i know peak lift has nothing to dowith ptv clearancei have said that 3 times, i said lift not peak lift again i know peak lift is nowhere near tdc, and howcould a 1.6 to 1.7 roller rocker change duration too? All im asking is if lift has absolutely nothing to do with it at all then why once he changed to 1.7's it didnt clear? The only answer i have gotten is that he had to do be doing something wrong which i doubt cuz hesolder wiser and been involved in 5.0s since back in the day.
The only way to explain that, is doing a PtV measurement with both rocker ratios. If you look at the lift @.050 during the overlap, using the intake opening and exhaust closing events (when the piston is very close to the partially opened valves)..... you're looking at valve lift differences in the .005" - .020" range/valve...... if you have a 1.6 rockers setup with a PtV clearance near .020", it would explain why they will not clear with the 1.7 rockers..... reason for the importance of the measurements.

"Seat-to-seat" valve duration is not affected with the rocker ratios, if you look at the duration of valves lift with the 1.7 rockers, and compare it against the same lift figures with 1.6 rockers, you have the same lift at a different duration...... OR ..... the time the valve is open past a specific lift point will be longer with 1.7 rockers when compared vs. the 1.6 rockers.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

ya well thats basically all i was saying to begin with just not in such smart words it seems, eventhough its not at peak lift its still at a higher lift with 1.7s than it would be with 1.6's at the point in which it would cause ptv issues when they are slightly opened and piston is near the top which the extra lift would be causing the ptv problems which would mean it has something to do with ptv clearance.

Quick Reply: most lift a stock 5.0 can take?