5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Going from 19lb injectors to 24lb?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 01:27 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default Going from 19lb injectors to 24lb?

Hey guys, Ehlee8-ex brought up a good question in another thread where I discussed the possibility of changing my fuel injectors over to 24lb injectors. I was wondering, would that automatically have a gas mileage hit, or only if I heavy foot it and push it to it's limits?

I'm just wondering, if it'll have the same gas mileage as the 19's when I'm driving normal and not "racing" it, then I'll go ahead and use them. Just want to know.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:04 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Going from 19lb injectors to 24lb?

theoretically the 24s should not alter your gas mileage or the amount of power you make (just the max you can make).

but realistically if your engine is at the limit of what the stock injectors can handle, chances are the 24s which flow better will add power. as for gas mileage, thats proportional to power too.

i dont think you will see a change in gas mileage or power level unless you dyno tune the car after you get the 24s.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:23 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Oh Dbeck, you forgot, it's not just the fuel injectors. I'm asking because the donor car I'm going to buy has everything done to the intake, and the MAF is calibrated for 24lb injectors. So I was asking that because if the answer is what you just said, then I'm going to put EVERYTHING into my car. So thanks Dan, that's helpful, and I'm glad this is the case, it would have sucked if it would have simply ruined my gas mileage even if I'm cruising along calmly, lol.

Anyway, he has a Pro-M 77mm MAF, I think it's 77, it's pretty huge, with the sensor calibrated for 24lb injectors, the entire Pro-M arm with the thick metal that shouldn't heat up, not that thin shiny billet steel stuff, BBK throttle body (forgot what size, probably pretty big too...) with BBK EGR spacer, Edlebrock performer rpm intake manifold and heads.

So basically I'm going to have all that in my car maybe sometime in the next month, or maybe two months, don't know how busy I'll be with everything...
Old 03-31-2005, 02:27 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

Damn ken, your gonna be way ahead of me.

you gotta swing by after you install all of that shiat.

did you get gears yet?
Old 03-31-2005, 02:31 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

You know, I just realized I still have the photos of the car I'm going to get.

Here are a few:

[IMG]local://upfiles/9197/72D2BAFB99234A18A6785593821A7AD1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9197/765F05119DCA41468043DBBB21A41558.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9197/1A9C8B0F5F9D498599F1AEA5F470C907.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-31-2005, 02:31 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

No Dan, but his car has 3.55 gears too, lol.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:35 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

In all, I guess I'll go from top to bottom, I'm planning on taking:
Pro-M CAI w/MAF and sensor
BBK throttle body and EGR spacer
Edelbrock performer rpm intake manifold (upper and lower)
Edelbroke performer rpm heads (with 1.7's)
Cobra-spec T-5 (off a 1993 Cobra)
3.55 rear end gears
Shorty headers, don't know what brand, but I have stock now, so these are definitely better
Magnaflow exhausts (I'm keeping my MAC H-pipe, although he has a X-pipe... I like the sound of the H-pipe more. So I'll sacrifice maybe 2hp for the sound, big deal)

MAYBE his aluminum driveshaft, but I think I'll stick with steel for now.

Oh, almost forgot, his MSD distributor and his 3G alternator, think it is 140 amp.

Crap, almost forgot again, MSD 6AL ignition box also

All for $2000 including the car, think it's a good deal?

He's also throwing in a pair of slicks for the drag strip, just because we're buddies, lol.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:43 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

dam dude, ill have to give you a call. is there anything your NOT taking? ill buy it from you, PM me your # i think it lost it or something.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:50 PM
horatio102
4th Gear Member

That's a nice setup. Can you stick the filter in the fenderwell or rig up some sort of shroud to keep hotter air off of it? I'd guess that's a 330+hp setup if it's tuned right.
As far as fuel economy goes, yeah, you'll take a little hit. It's moving a heck of a lot more air through, and keeping the A/F ratios the same means it'll pump more fuel in too. Especially with the 3.55 gears. But it'll be WAY worth it. If you get a Tweecer or something similar (and you can spend the time to learn how to tune it) you can have a 'cruise' setting for better fuel economy, a 'power' setting for max power, 'emissions' setting for the sniffer, etc. Get that thing swapped and toss it on the dyno!

ORIGINAL: Demon_Mustang

In all, I guess I'll go from top to bottom, I'm planning on taking:
Pro-M CAI w/MAF and sensor
BBK throttle body and EGR spacer
Edelbrock performer rpm intake manifold (upper and lower)
Edelbroke performer rpm heads (with 1.7's)
Cobra-spec T-5 (off a 1993 Cobra)
3.55 rear end gears
Shorty headers, don't know what brand, but I have stock now, so these are definitely better
Magnaflow exhausts (I'm keeping my MAC H-pipe, although he has a X-pipe... I like the sound of the H-pipe more. So I'll sacrifice maybe 2hp for the sound, big deal)

MAYBE his aluminum driveshaft, but I think I'll stick with steel for now.

Oh, almost forgot, his MSD distributor and his 3G alternator, think it is 140 amp.

Crap, almost forgot again, MSD 6AL ignition box also

All for $2000 including the car, think it's a good deal?

He's also throwing in a pair of slicks for the drag strip, just because we're buddies, lol.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:10 PM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Horatio, I didn't mention his filter because I will be keeping my fenderwall unit if possible. If it'll hook up to his Pro-M arm, then I'm keeping my own.

Dan, I'm thinking REAL hard, and no, I can't really think of anything that I'm not taking, lol. Well, he has some suspension upgrades which I might or might not look at, I am not sure if I will be taking any of that. If I bring it to the strip, and get poor results because of my suspension and it's not hooking up, then I'll probably take all the suspension too.

Basically, If I had an engine hoist, I'll just put my block into his car, put all of his stuff onto it, and drive his car, because I'm basically switching everything over. He has a busted crank shaft and possibly a piston or two needs to be replaced, and I can't really fix that without an engine hoist and a stand, which I don't have. If I had that, I would have simply fixed that and use his car for the strip and my car for the road.

I was either considering selling the rest of his car on ebay after I get everything good out of it, or keeping it and fixing it up later from the ground up. Also, a few of his body panels are actually in better condition than my own. The hood comes to mind immediately. And I think my chassis MIGHT have a few distortions up front because I've gotten into an accident with my Mustang before, his looks free of any accidents so that might be better too. Unfortunately he does not have rear-disc conversions because I would have taken that too, lol. I might take his front brakes and maybe his master cylinder if mine is bad, I know something in my brake system leaks, don't know what it is yet, but the fluid gets a little low after a while, luckily it takes a while before that happens so wherever the leak is, it's slow.

So sorry dude, whatever in his car is any good, I'm probably taking it, your setup is already well beyond mine, and basically all that will be left will be stock things.

Oh yah, I forgot to mention, along with his transmission, he has a Pro 5.0 shifter, adjustable clutch quadrant, and King Cobra clutch.

Basically he had a killer car that he's selling for an absolute steal. He has a nitrous kit he's selling for $200, if you're interested I can ask him for you, lol. It's the entire kit, basically everything you need to go drag racing tomorrow, since he had it installed on this Mustang before, he's taking everything nitrous related out and selling it.

Quick Reply: Going from 19lb injectors to 24lb?