5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

My car is running really rich, solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 07:07 PM
gtpcoupe
2nd Gear Member

Default My car is running really rich, solutions?

just got a 94 gt and the thing runs ungodly rich. it has headers and offroad h pipe. im thinking the car is on the stock tune and the computer is thinking its running lean because of the added airflow and causing it to dump more fuel. does that sound about right to you guys? i know a guy who has HP Tuners and will tune it with a wideband for 100$. im hopeing that will solve the problem. the car really smokes alot and im thinking it is because of the rich condtion. the smoke is a grey color, i though when i ran rich it was supposed to smoke black?
i dont know but you can really smell the gas so there is no doubt its running rich. Another question, can they increase the timeing when they are tuning it or do you do that seperately? sorry dont know alot about these engines. and help yall can give me is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:45 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Default RE: My car is running really rich, solutions?

ORIGINAL: gtpcoupe
just got a 94 gt and the thing runs ungodly rich. it has offroad h pipe.
OR h-pipe doesn't burn unused fuel like cats do...so thats why

im thinking the car is on the stock tune and the computer is thinking its running lean because of the added airflow and causing it to dump more fuel. does that sound about right to you guys?
'94 doesn't rely on a "tune" like a '00+ car does , it's still basic fuel pressure and timing

Another question, can they increase the timeing when they are tuning it or do you do that seperately? sorry dont know alot about these engines. and help yall can give me is greatly appreciated.
timing is simple and not in the tune. first off, spend the $8.95 on a 1/2" dizzy wrench from sears, and get under the car and mark the timing marks w/ whiteout or chalk or crayon

then you need to find the SPOUT connector, it is a harness that has a grey or black plug in the end. for your car...it's kind of near the airbox, maybe behind it...i forget exactly...but i know it's near the airbox

the car should be warmed up and running....pull the SPOUT out , then loosen the holddown nut at the dizzy base, then adjust the timing to about 12* if you use 87-89 octane 14* might work if your always on premium

the timing marks go from 10-0 atdc and then 0-20 btdc

the way you wanna go is the btdc area.

after you get it on tighten the holdown , recheck it cuz slight movement can change 1-2* easily

if it's good after you tighten it....put the SPOUT back in (the car will idle better instantly as to when you removed it)

and your done.

if the car stalls when you pull the SPOUT out....you have vac issues to fix b4 you do anything

Old 02-15-2008, 07:52 PM
jrt1990
3rd Gear Member

get under the car and mark the timing marks w/ whiteout or chalk or crayon
What do you mean by timing marks?
Old 02-15-2008, 08:34 PM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

basically you can mark some key timing points 0*, 10* 15*, and your spout is behind the airbox but infront of the strut tower, after timing is adjusted i would recomend driving it around the block and listen for pinging, if the engine is pinging, reduce timing
Old 02-15-2008, 09:15 PM
gtpcoupe
2nd Gear Member

thanks guys. id say the timing marks are on the harmonic balancer. my dad knows all about that old school crap. i didnt know thats the way you set the timing, sure makes things alot easier. im used to my ls1 so i figured this would be similar, thanks for the help.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:31 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if you are going to check timing..don't forget to remove the spout connector before checking base timing
Old 02-15-2008, 10:16 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

HPtuners can't tune your car

I should know.... i own one
Old 02-16-2008, 12:32 AM
gtpcoupe
2nd Gear Member

is a dizzy wrench required to mess with the timing or does it just make the job easier?
Old 02-16-2008, 12:36 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

not required but sure makes it a snap!!! rather than trying to squeeze a half inch wrench down there
Old 02-16-2008, 08:42 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

jrt1990..... the balancer has a bunch of marks on it, each line is 2* increment

it will be all rusty and not readable from the top w/ a timing light. but w/ the car off...rub a bunch of chalk all over the lines and numbers, then wipe it off...the chalk will stay in the grroves and lite up nice when you you get back up top.

what works really good is grease pencil, yellow or white and will stay for about a year or more. white out or a paint pen works too....bu tthe line will be phat and actually take up the area of almsot 3* so not as accurate if your being picky.

gtpcoupe...you can get away w/ a shorter 1/2" wrench...but it sux, and w/ the car running your always getting your sleeve into the belt or something stupid.

that dizzy wrench is trull worth it's weight in gold.

i like nitrous so i change my timing about 5 times a week in the summer so maybe more so for me.

even no nitrous...you can take advantage of 2* here and there depending on temps and humidity

cool dense air can take 2-4* more than when it's hot and humid outside.

and sometimes every bit counts

like stated...if you skip the SPOUT part....the timing will not take...it must be removed b4 you change it, and it then put back in when your done. if you forget to put it in, it will not advance at all when your driving...and you will lose almost 50 hp

i know cuz i lost it once at the track...was running 1/2 sec slower for 3 runs, got pi$$ed and rechecked my timing , saw it was gone and borrowed my buddys in between runs
i used to put it on the batery when i was changing it....just forgot it and it must have fallen off

picked it all back up as soon i put his in, now i have about 5 spares in my toolbox...if your in a boneyard, they are in all fords w/ 302's pickups stangs everything

Quick Reply: My car is running really rich, solutions?