5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

timing questions. need help PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 05:41 PM
gtpcoupe
2nd Gear Member

Default timing questions. need help PLEASE

ok i have a 94 gt and im trying to time it. First off which way do you turn the distributor to advance timing???? i have no idea where it is set at now. i was turning it counter clockwise and the car was running better and seemed to have a little more power and was smoother than when i turned it clockwise. Another question what is the firing order on a 94 GT???? if all the orders ive found on here are correct then my firing order is wrong. the car seemed to run better with the current firing order then the "correct one". the firing order i found were for foxbodies so i dont know if its the same for a SN95. I could not see the Timing marks so i was just adjusting it slightly then taking it down the road. Another question, when do i need to pull the spout out? i was pulling it out and then adjusting it then putting it back in while the car was off. i never had the car running while i was doing it. will this method work??? i have no idea about fords and neither does my dad who was assuming it was the same as chevy. anything you guys can add would be greatly apreciated.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:44 PM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

Default RE: timing questions. need help PLEASE

u really need a timing light..going by feel isnt the best procedure...as for the the spout...while the car is running, unplug it, set the timing(with a timing light while the car is running) and then when u have it set plug it back in.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:47 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

first off, your all wrong and need to fix it...stop now while it still runs

you MUST have a timing light
the car MUST be running
the SPOUT needs to be removed b4 you cange it and put back in after your done....all while it's running
you NEED to chalk the timing marks

clockwiseshould be btdc

you can't bump it by feel....you don't always hear sparkknock.....don't do anyhting else til you have a light on it

your firing order should be the same as fox unless you got a gt40 crate motor

Old 02-17-2008, 05:49 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

^^^^^^.....that's right!! need a light to get it dead on
Old 02-17-2008, 06:00 PM
gtpcoupe
2nd Gear Member

thank you guys. So you want to turn it clockwise to advance the timing??? there is no telling what the timing was set at before i touched it, and now there is no telling what it is now. how do i check and see what it is now?? so at no point the car should be turned off? i would have gotten a dizzy wrench BUT the sears place looked at me like i was crazy and they didnt even have a "dizzy" wrench listed in there catalog. so would that be ok to have someone hold the distributor in place, turn the car off then tighten the holddown bolt? sorry for my stupdity but you guys are saving my car probley.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:05 PM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

and now there is no telling what it is now. how do i check and see what it is now??
GET A TIMING LIGHT lol..thats the only way...jack ur car up..crawl under n find the marks...mark it with either chalk, marker, paint anything..but do it right do it with a light....hmm i rhymed lol...

Old 02-17-2008, 06:44 PM
gtpcoupe
2nd Gear Member

I have a timing light. i didnt know if there was a way to check it w/o a light. i got some reading today of like 40*. IS 13726548 the correct fireing order? i have the 5.0 HO. Ok so you turn the distributor Clockwise to advance timing? can you guys please answer me that?f thanks
Old 02-17-2008, 07:01 PM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

u gotta have the spout connector out other wise ur gonna get readings off the chart...10 is stock..most get to like 14 max before it pings...a few get a degree or 2 more...but find stock first...then start bumpin a degree at a time till pings ..then back it off
Old 02-17-2008, 07:31 PM
gtpcoupe
2nd Gear Member

thanks,let me try again. which direction do you rotate the distributor to advance the timing????
Old 02-17-2008, 07:34 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: gtpcoupe

thanks,let me try again. which direction do you rotate the distributor to advance the timing????
how about you work on figuring out how to use the timing light first

once you get that down... you should be able to easily figure out which way tp turn the disty

Quick Reply: timing questions. need help PLEASE