5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

ABS ring on axles

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 08:31 PM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

Default ABS ring on axles

Has anyone had to put axles in a SN95 car that had ABS? If so I am guessing the ABS rings press off and if so how hard are they to get off without breaking?
Old 02-19-2008, 08:51 PM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

Default RE: ABS ring on axles

umm on a scale of 1 to 10 mine were about 15s on hardness to get off...they broke lol...we tried everything..heating, using a press at work..ended up callin a friend of the guy who was helping with my gears ..the guy worked at a ford dealership..got em for like 16 bucks a piece..they just happened to have 2 in stock ...i was lucky..
Old 02-19-2008, 10:41 PM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

I just used a bearing splitter to hold the ring while pressing them off. The splitter allows you 360 degrees of pressure around the ring and had no problem. Getting them back on is the trick.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:58 PM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

lol..u were luckier than me..we tried that with mine..its like a 20K lb press..and it just would not budge...idk?...but 30 bucks wasnt gonna put me on the streets in a box....so i just bought new ones..but ya..by all means if u can get them off congradulations from me lol...cuz we sure couldnt..
Old 02-19-2008, 11:16 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

sometimes they come off some times they don't..just depends on the degree of corrossion that has set in...either way I often order new ones when performing such work
Old 02-20-2008, 06:50 AM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

Cool, thanks guys. I'll just go ahead and buy new ones and be done with it no more than they cost.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:21 AM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

Just to let everyone know why I am replacing axles,I bought my wife a 97 GT forcheap because something was making noisein the rear. Well the noise endedup being caused by a leaking pinion seal onceupon a time and running the rear with no grease. Needless to say everything but the rear-endhousing and the traction-loc housing had to be replaced. All bearings, ring and pinion, spider gears, and axles.This rear nearly killed me getting it apart and going back together. I broke my Snap-On breaker bar crushing the crush collar and getting the pinion bearing racesout and new ones back in took hours. This was the hardest rear to set up I have ever done in my life!
I successfully pressed two ABS ringsoff and one on. Then I went to the dealer bought two new rings. I attempted to press one on and broke it. I checked the size of the area where the ABS ring goes and no wonder it broke, it was way to big to be pressed on. I had to takethe axleto a machine shop and havethat area on the axle machined to be able to press the ring on. Then when I put them in the housing they were to longpast the c-clip to allow the center pin to fit between them. So I had to take them back out andfile the endsto allow thecenter pin to fit. Sorry I am just bitching. For those of you that have leaking pinionseals or any seals for that matter get them fixed so you don't have to go through this or worse than that, have to pay someone to go through this! I would have burnt someones back-side up if this had been a customers car! In the end, taking all these pains gave me a nice quiet rear thatspins both tires!
Old 02-23-2008, 07:45 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

aah got to love the 8.8 I have done the bearing thing many times for customers. I feel your pain. I just did one for a guy the same way with the New Ford gears (they changed vendors) all the bearings and changed it over to a 31 spline T lock. I worked on that thing for a day and a half trying to get them gears right. But in the end he said they don't make a sound.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:01 AM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

What ratio were you working with? I did that with a couple 4.30s that were FRPP after the change. I wasn't able to get either one right. The didn'ttear out but man were they noisy!I have been trying to find used gears from older pickups and Explorers. A lot of them came with 3.73s and 4.10s, I even found a F150 6 cylinder 5 speed 4x4 off a farmthat had a 4.56! Those are the original FRPP gears that setup easily. My car now has a 4.10 out of an F150 and 31 spline traction-loc out of an Explorer.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:49 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

I was working with the 373. I got them but they worked the crap out of me.

Quick Reply: ABS ring on axles