5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

new heads!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 06:46 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: new heads!!

patriot freedom heads FTW!!!!!![sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=happy046.gif][sm=happy046.gif][sm=happy046.gif][sm=happy046.gif]
Old 02-27-2008, 10:51 PM
raw3836
1st Gear Member

so dart heads > patriot heads?
Old 02-27-2008, 10:54 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I believe there is a sticky on the patriot heads at the top of the forums....it's more so a quality of maufactoring issue
Old 02-29-2008, 08:40 AM
89mustangfive0
3rd Gear Member

arent the patriots an off shore casting like in china or soemthing and then assembled here where patriots located..i had emailed the patriot guy gunnar and havent got an email backkk
Old 02-29-2008, 01:14 PM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

Edelbrock heads are not worth the cost IMO, I say this from experience. They are a mass produced head that are designed to be used with mid range cams. If you are looking to use a cam with high lift and duration numbers the springs are no good. The valves, retainers, and locks are basically just better than stock. The spring install heights are not measured for assembly leaving as much as .050 varience. Some do not come with harded spring cups (lower retainer) and only come with a hardend shim.

I had a set of 5.0's that had approx. 400 miles and 6 passes when I discovered the valves tips were pitting and burring, This was with a "B" cam. With some research, it was found that the valves were mass produced junk. I also worked with a set of RPM's and found no springs cups (lower retainers) and the factory install heights varied. The valves were better than the 5.0's, but they were pretty soft allowing the locks to cause large burrs where the lock rested (heads had 200 miles and 25 passes and a midrange FT cam) making it necessary to file the stems to remove the valves. I am still using the RPM's but I replaced the entire valve train. When it was all said and done, I could have had a much better head to start with.

There are much better heads out there, Trick Flow, Canfield, AFR.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:25 PM
moterhead
1st Gear Member

I have Edelbrocks on my '93 LX. BUT, they were instlled when the build was done, in the Fall of 2000. That's seven years ago. Things may have changed a bunch in that length of time. I know mine are still just fine.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:50 PM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moterhead

I have Edelbrocks on my '93 LX. BUT, they were instlled when the build was done, in the Fall of 2000. That's seven years ago. Things may have changed a bunch in that length of time. I know mine are still just fine.
And how do you know this? Have youdisassemble, inspected, and measured them ever? I bet you won't be saying they are just fine when and if you do.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:53 PM
89mustangfive0
3rd Gear Member

im probably going trick flow being that they come with everything minus the rockers..but i wont be running a monster lift cam probably somehting int he 520 530 range at most i wanna get a custom cam
Old 02-29-2008, 08:02 PM
moterhead
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PJC Racing

ORIGINAL: moterhead

And how do you know this? Have youdisassemble, inspected, and measured them ever? I bet you won't be saying they are just fine when and if you do.
And how do you know their not? The car runs just fine. BTW, you must have be taking ******* lessons from adder.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:18 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89mustangfive0

im probably going trick flow being that they come with everything minus the rockers..but i wont be running a monster lift cam probably somehting int he 520 530 range at most i wanna get a custom cam
89mustangfive0, I am going the same route. I already have a set of brand new Trick Flows, and I went with acustom cam from Jay Allen (cam was actually shipped today). If you go that route, let me tell you what I ran into. The custom cam builders that I talked to, advised methat even though the TF springs are rated to .540 lift, they are made of substandard material to keep cost down (same goes for most aftermarket heads I was told). They will gladly grind a cam for you, but advise you that unless you match the springs to the cam, you will not get the full benefit from the cam. Like PJC Racing said, Jay strongly advised me to upgrade the springs, retainers, spring cups and locks, whether I purchase them from him or not. I'm not a cam expert, but he was able to convince me to do the upgrade. I received the retainers, cups and locks yesterday, directly from Comp Cams, and Jay is shipping the cam and matching springs. Again, I'm not an expert,but Jaywas pretty convincing.He explained it like this: matching the springs to the cam, can make the difference between havinga potentialhigh 11 something second car, that only runs 12s, and not knowing why your buddy can run 11s with a similar combo.

Quick Reply: new heads!!