5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

ported e7's

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 04:31 PM
89cobra5.0
1st Gear Member

Default ported e7's

My mechanic literally across the street said he could do a port job on my e7's and free up some ~35 hp and tq for like $2-250. This a good deal? I've been reading up on ppl who have paid $350++ for that job, and how people have been saying to just get afr heads, edel, etc... As much as I would love a set of afr's, I dont have that kind of money. Im in college and want some more power, but can't do anything too radical.

Im not looking for the fastest car on earth, just some more power. Ive been wanting new heads for a while but wasnt sure what a port job would cost. I could settle with the e7's for a while.

Does anyone have ported e7's that could share their opinion on them?

Old 02-29-2008, 04:50 PM
I8URRICE
1st Gear Member

Default RE: ported e7's

i wouldnt imo i would just save up a little more :x
Old 02-29-2008, 04:55 PM
tooslow5.0
2nd Gear Member

if you look at all the work to take off the heads, and all the potential problems, its ot going to be worth it. ihighly doubt he can pull out 35 more horses, unless he has had ALOT of experience with these heads. I hate to say it, but you gotta pay to play.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:10 PM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

E7's can be ported to make good power, look at what Thumper has been doing with them http://www.thumperoforangepark.com/.

Now here's the question, have you seen this guy's work before? Can he show you heads he has worked, with proven increases in E.T.? Is thereanother customer of his for you talk to?

Anyone can take a die grinder to a set of heads, but there are not so many who know what they doing and can make proven power. Most of the time what you get from guys who say they know how to port heads is gasket matching and and runner/bowl smoothing. This you can do youself for free. If the guy can prove he knows what he is doing and can make his claims of power the price is good but don't forget to have a valve job done and upgrade your springs.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:56 PM
white93pony
3rd Gear Member

^^^^^agreed i would opt for a 3 angle valve job it will help out also been told its worth about 5-10 hp.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:08 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I doubt they will gain you 35 more hp....he's probably just blowin smoke up your ace!! to get your GW'S....ASK FOR THE DYNO GAURANTEE MONEY BACK IF IT FAILS TO ACHIEVE SAID RESULTS
Old 02-29-2008, 08:18 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

im getting a set of e7s ported pretty aggressivly, the ONLY reason im doing it tho is because i got the e7s for 25 bucks. in the end i will be a bit over the flow of gt40s for about 100 less. so its a pretty good deal i think
Old 02-29-2008, 08:22 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

^^^^^^I'd do the same if I got them that cheap!! good deal!!!...but the whole thumper deal?? I'd spend the money on a set of aluminum heads..for that price
Old 02-29-2008, 08:48 PM
ponyboy302
3rd Gear Member

if cnc ported properly they can actually gain 35hp and 24 lbs of torque .. those numbers came from a dyno test from the book where the "bolt on myth"dyno tests came from in the general discussion stickie
Old 02-29-2008, 08:53 PM
89cobra5.0
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PJC Racing

E7's can be ported to make good power, look at what Thumper has been doing with them http://www.thumperoforangepark.com/.

Now here's the question, have you seen this guy's work before? Can he show you heads he has worked, with proven increases in E.T.? Is thereanother customer of his for you talk to?

Anyone can take a die grinder to a set of heads, but there are not so many who know what they doing and can make proven power. Most of the time what you get from guys who say they know how to port heads is gasket matching and and runner/bowl smoothing. This you can do youself for free. If the guy can prove he knows what he is doing and can make his claims of power the price is good but don't forget to have a valve job done and upgrade your springs.
Ya I was lucky enough for my first car to be a 5.0 because he has around 5 or 6 parked there like at all times, he has his Ive raced (and lost) and his son has one so I'd trust him to be knowledgable. Plus I met a guy not much older than me who had another 5.0 and said he goes to the same guy, along with a handful of ppl Ive met..

He showed me on a set of e7's what the stock looked like and what the ported looked like as well, I actually meant to put 25+ not 35 but either way Im on a basically lunch money budget. I could see the difference and he explained a bit. But hell for $200 I dont see why it wouldnt be worth it since I have the heads already, and a new set of heads is no where in question (as much as Id like a set of afr's or something =]). I was curious if the gains would be noticable when I put my foot down, cause $200 for me is a good deal of money but in the big picture its not... And I can always get a better set up down the road.

Quick Reply: ported e7's